PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend... *groan*

Neil
06-Sep-2006, 08:34 AM
www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=24385

Really not expecting much with Will Smith involved :(

Philly_SWAT
06-Sep-2006, 08:55 AM
Well, by co-incidence, I just watched Vincent Price in "The Last Man on Earth" last week for the first time, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. There are some problems with it, but a lot of nice attention to detail, like how he gets gas from abandoned fuel trucks in order to fill his generator so he has power. When I first saw he has lights inside, I was like "how could he have that three years later", then they show him getting gas. I recommend that movie very highly, especially to people on this board.

HLS
06-Sep-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, by co-incidence, I just watched Vincent Price in "The Last Man on Earth" last week for the first time, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. There are some problems with it, but a lot of nice attention to detail, like how he gets gas from abandoned fuel trucks in order to fill his generator so he has power. When I first saw he has lights inside, I was like "how could he have that three years later", then they show him getting gas. I recommend that movie very highly, especially to people on this board.

Ya it was an awesome movie. Vincent price is the king of horror in my opinion. Theater of Blood is my fav:D

p2501
06-Sep-2006, 02:10 PM
At this point i'm fully expecting it to suck. i think the guy that directed "Constantine" is running this now. which constantine was easily one of the worst comic adapations i've seen. In adition to the film being about as coheirant as a "made for SciFi" original movie.

Further with the prominence of that horrible product placement by Ford. i can only begin to imagine how utterly horrible "Legend" will end up.

Chakobsa
06-Sep-2006, 11:18 PM
At this point i'm fully expecting it to suck. i think the guy that directed "Constantine" is running this now. which constantine was easily one of the worst comic adapations i've seen. In adition to the film being about as coheirant as a "made for SciFi" original movie.

Further with the prominence of that horrible product placement by Ford. i can only begin to imagine how utterly horrible "Legend" will end up.
Yeah, "Constantine" sucked the big one alright, it was really bad.
I don't hold out much hope for this either. Thing is, Matheson's novel is so beloved by fans of this genre that nothing short of genius will do when it comes to making the jump to the silver screen, I fear we're going to be very pissed of by this.:(
All together now; " In West Philidelphia, born and raised....":|

Danny
06-Sep-2006, 11:40 PM

yeah i saw this on one of the blakc and white oldie channels on sky a week ago and i loved the attention to detail, and vincent price is the ****ing man!

TheWalkingDude
07-Sep-2006, 04:35 PM
I loved that old V.P. Movie and i also liked The Omega Man with Charlton Heston

Neil
07-Sep-2006, 08:37 PM
I loved that old V.P. Movie and i also liked The Omega Man with Charlton Heston

I LOOOOOVVVEE "The Omega Man"... There's a small homage to it in my story "The Midas Touch" :)

Mike70
08-Sep-2006, 09:51 PM
will smith is the worst possible choice to play robert neville. there is no way that he can pull this off. this is worse (if that is possible) than him playing jim west in that travestical piece of s*ite "wild, wild, west."

I LOOOOOVVVEE "The Omega Man"... There's a small homage to it in my story "The Midas Touch" :)

omega man kicks mega amounts of gluteous. charleton heston with automatic weapons and the freedom to use them on anything that moves. classic.

Debbieangel
09-Sep-2006, 12:10 AM

I have the movie and have watched it many many times it is one of the best HORROR films for its time! I always have thought NOTLD and Last Man On Earth are the best scarey movies I h ave seen! Vincent Price is the MAN!!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE his voice!!!

Ya it was an awesome movie. Vincent price is the king of horror in my opinion. Theater of Blood is my fav:D

I definitely agree he is the BEST!!! THE KING OF HORROR!!!!HANDS DOWN!!!!

Eyebiter
09-Sep-2006, 12:19 AM
News Flash: The Fresh Prince of Bel Air destroys another scifi movie

Big Surprise...

Adrenochrome
09-Sep-2006, 12:43 AM
News Flash: The Fresh Prince of Bel Air destroys another scifi movie

Big Surprise...

I'm still trying to figure out how he made it out of the MTV scene and into Hollywood.

Danny
09-Sep-2006, 04:22 AM
yeah amen to that.

Neil
23-Sep-2006, 08:33 AM
A little bit more on it giving a of an insight into the film.

www.aintitcool.com/node/30152

Maitreya
23-Sep-2006, 09:58 AM

No way, you wrote the Midas Touch? I loved that story, the Jason idea was really really cool.

Chakobsa
23-Sep-2006, 01:52 PM

That sounds really bad, in fact it sounds so bad that those responsible should be beaten around the head with a copy of the original novel taped to a Louisville slugger,and the Fresh Prince of Bell end needs a clip round one of his huge lugs.

Debbieangel
23-Sep-2006, 03:02 PM

I am holding out hope for Wil Smith I loved him in "Independence Day" and "I Robot" its real real real if-y on I Legend..forgive me my fav Vincent Price King of all Horror!!! and of course GAR!!!
Let's just say I am very hopeful...I saw "The Last Man on Earth" as a child and I would have to say between NOTLD and it they were the two most scariest movies I have yet to see!!!
OOh Neil , wowww I didnt know you were one of the authors here I think I read The Midas Touch I cant remember I have read quite a few and have enjoyed reading them all!!! I will have to reread it again cause now I know the author. lol

Neil
23-Sep-2006, 06:58 PM
No way, you wrote the Midas Touch? I loved that story, the Jason idea was really really cool.

Glad you enjoyed it... Just wish:-
(a) I had more time to finish it - In the end I just tied up the loose ends to get it done. You can spot certain areas of the story are rushed.... Not enough free time :(
(b) Had time to write the sequel that's been in my head ever since finishing the original :(

Neil
27-Sep-2006, 08:22 AM
More news...

www.aintitcool.com/node/30202

This is funny :)

4) It appears Will Smith is making another dumb action film of a
classic genre story. Oh well.

p2501
27-Sep-2006, 02:56 PM
on a certain level i really want to see this now. it's going to be so abyssmal.

Debbieangel
27-Sep-2006, 03:27 PM
on a certain level i really want to see this now. it's going to be so abyssmal.

I know what you mean..I too want to see it..its a new look at it..I am still hoping Will Smiths stardom doesnt get in the way or his humor! Oh dear my hope is fading after saying about his humor :( . I will see like everyone else will loll...are you Neil? lol

Neil
01-Jan-2007, 08:40 PM
Some quite gruesome bodies :)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31103

coma
01-Jan-2007, 08:58 PM
I would point out Duane Jones' performance in NOTLD about how to be an actor whos black rather than a black actor. Contantly saying all the "urban" b boy stuff is stupid and ruins much of his films.
He is a MILLION times better than Tom Cruise,whom they jammed into everything for years and Will SMith is a btter actor than Keanu (the other 3 choices for this kind of Hollywood film). I actually really liked I Robot. Sure its not Asimov but it looked really good. For a mainstream "hero" type, Will Smith can be good. though he could definately be better.
Im going to see I am Legend. If I have very low expectations I cant be dissapointed

Danny
03-Jan-2007, 06:48 AM
i bought the latest issue of empire yesterday (hey it had optimus prime on the cover how could i not?:D ) and theres a will smith interview and from what i hear i am legend sounds actually not that bad, theyve cleared areas in new york like 5th avenue to film, apparently there aiming at making it a u.s version of 28 days later.

which actually sounds better than 28 weeks later i gotta say.

Neil
03-Jan-2007, 08:32 AM
i bought the latest issue of empire yesterday (hey it had optimus prime on the cover how could i not?:D ) and theres a will smith interview and from what i hear i am legend sounds actually not that bad, theyve cleared areas in new york like 5th avenue to film, apparently there aiming at making it a u.s version of 28 days later.

which actually sounds better than 28 weeks later i gotta say.

It needs to be bleak and dark... Initial thoughts of a Will Smith production don't lend itself to this though - ie: We'er expectnig wise cracks etc... Hopefully we'll be proved wrong!

Danny
03-Jan-2007, 08:37 AM
yeah he can be a wise ass but even in his fresh prince days he could do some serious acting, like that one were he got shot and then his cousin bought a gun, so im kinda rethinking this and i think hed do a better job at this than tom cruise's crazy ass, for example.

7feet
03-Jan-2007, 10:09 AM
Really don't know about this one. I was trying to get on this show, but then they sh*tcanned the whole makeup FX operation, shut down for a bit (a "scheduled break" my ass") and decided to go totally CGI. Urf. Actually, I would have some doubt's about those bodies in the pics on AICN being in there. I 'spect those might be from the pre "the suits take too long to put on" shooting.

Neil
03-Jan-2007, 10:24 AM
yeah he can be a wise ass but even in his fresh prince days he could do some serious acting, like that one were he got shot and then his cousin bought a gun, so im kinda rethinking this and i think hed do a better job at this than tom cruise's crazy ass, for example.

I agree... But unfortunately he's not the one producing the movie. He's been employed to fullfil someone elses image. Now as long as the producers are thinking "serious Will Smith" and not "wise cracking Will Smith", great!

Not sure why Cruise has entered this discussion but I suggest you get off the silly Tom Cruise bashing bandwagon at the next stop... He's more than proven himself a better actor than Will Smith (thus far)...

Personally I'd rather see Cruise than Smith in the role (I think)... But neither is perfect... Ideally, I'd rather see someone less main stream and more Joe average...

Hopefully Smith can pull something out of the bag and really suprise us! :)

Geophyrd
03-Jan-2007, 12:22 PM
I mean he's had his share of clunkers (Wild Wild West, I Robot, kind of Armageddon (which I shamefully like as popcorn). But he's also made Six Degrees of Separation, Where the Day Takes You (a favorite), Men in Black and I've heard that Pursuit of Happyness is really good. I work on Wall Street and know some people that know the guy that its based on and Smith did his homework. They say if anything, he toned the story down.

I have high hopes for I Am Legend. I've read the original story that it was based on and it wasn't that great a story. Good setup (end of the world, one man against the mutated survivors) but its been done better (The Stand, Planet of the Vampires, even Planet of the Apes to a certain degree). It would not have seemed to warrant 3 remakes but I'll be in line waiting for my tickets!

Bongholio
03-Jan-2007, 12:59 PM
2 things
)1 how can you not get something for your money out of a reported
ƒ150,000,000 movie yes Americans thats $300 MILLION?

)2 Robert Neville = Terrible Novel

I have made the promise to my self to walk out of the movie if Smith's Neville
responds to the mut-pires siege machine fireball into his house(if there are any similar scene same deal) with a big
"Oh No you DIDN'T!"
fir watt its wirth. :lol:

Edit
so now it's 28 days later with this only happening in manhattan
no more spoilers for me

Neil
07-Jun-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's the poster...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20865

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 11:36 AM
Looks terrible. :dead:

Danny
07-Jun-2007, 03:46 PM
looks like someones trying to subtley get the 28 days later vibe coming of the poster:shifty:

bassman
07-Jun-2007, 04:30 PM
It's not all that bad. It could be worse.

Like this Dawn04 poster....
http://www.interschmockk.de/article_img/Dawn_of_the_Dead_Poster.jpg

:rolleyes:

coma
07-Jun-2007, 05:07 PM
Y'know, its not impossible that Will Smith could transcend the "hell No" persona. Bruce Willis was considered a total cheese lightweight as an actor. Entertaining but not really good. Pulp Fiction changed all that. So you never know.

Danny
07-Jun-2007, 05:54 PM
i know ive seen him do serious acting and he can do it, he just doesnt make as much money when he does:sneaky:

Neil
08-Jun-2007, 07:50 AM
Trailer time...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/

bassman
08-Jun-2007, 12:48 PM
huh. I think it has the potential to be a fun film. Although "Constantine" had some script problems that bothered me, over all Francis Lawrence's direction and style was pretty cool.

I'm thinking this will be a fun flick. Whether or not it's faithful to the book, I have no idea. But it looks like it could be fun.:)

Danny
08-Jun-2007, 12:52 PM
hX773fMkS90

y'know i was sceptical but this looks pretty damn good, like a u.s 28 days later, though thats blatantly what they were going for here but hey cash in or not it looks like a decent film.

too bad that even though smith can do serious acting it apppears that hes playing the same guy from i robot.

-waddaya reckon some white trash are so dumb they think its a sequel?:lol:

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2007, 03:39 PM
That definitely looks like the sort of movie I'd find enjoyable. I don't see any of his I Robot character in there, just as long as he doesn't say "aw hell no!" then I think it'll be a success. :p

It's certainly got potential to be a quality flick, I just hope it doesn't go all MTV or anything... ...nice advert for Ford Mustang there. :p

bassman
08-Jun-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't really see why everyone dogs on "I, Robot". While obviously not an A+ flick, I didn't think it was absolutely horrible. It is what it is....a summer action flick.

And all this talk about Will Smith's action movie acting throws me off, as well. I mean...."Six Degrees of Seperation", "The Pursuit of Happyness", "Ali", and even "Enemy of the State"(in certain areas) were serious roles that he knocked out of the park, imo.

coma
08-Jun-2007, 03:56 PM
That definitely looks like the sort of movie I'd find enjoyable. I don't see any of his I Robot character in there, just as long as he doesn't say "aw hell no!" then I think it'll be a success. :p

It's certainly got potential to be a quality flick, I just hope it doesn't go all MTV or anything... ...nice advert for Ford Mustang there. :p
Ahh, product placement. First thing I thought. I ubnderstand why you may want a fast car to avoid Vampires, but a RED One?!! How about a Benz, butthead? Plus the road would be so clogged it makes no sense.
I liked I robot. Sure the only thing in common with the book was the title, but I still liked it, "Hell No"s and all. This one looks more serious and other than the SAME ACTOR playing in I robot and this, There is not enough in the trailer to get any similarity at all.
Seems like Will Smith is taking over Tom Cruise and Keanu's Big Hollywood Sci FI mantle. Keanus OK, I just wish Cruise would go away forever

The only thing you can tell from the trailer is there is at least One cool scene and alot of apocalyptic CGI. Still looks OK from that tidbits.

Cykotic
08-Jun-2007, 05:02 PM
I've just seen the trailer....

Lovely Jubbly!!

swellman
08-Jun-2007, 06:10 PM
It looks like it could be an ok movie. But, I just don't think Will Smith would be a suitable actor for the role. I don't know why. I just think they could have found somebody better.

twistbud
08-Jun-2007, 10:55 PM
Matheson on Romero

George Romero's 1968 zombie epic, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, is closer in tone and spirit to Matheson's novel than any official adaptation.

MATHESON: I have no opinion about George Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. I watched it one night on television, and thought to myself, gee, that's awfully close to I AM LEGEND. He, I guess, prefers to believe that it's just a derivation, but it seems pretty close to me.

http://www.scifistation.com/matheson/matheson_index.html

darth los
08-Jun-2007, 11:27 PM
I've seen many interviews with Romero and imo he'll tell you himself that he got the idea of NOTLD form last man on earth.

Terran
08-Jun-2007, 11:47 PM
I've seen many interviews with Romero and imo he'll tell you himself that he got the idea of NOTLD form last man on earth.

I thought he said that he got the idea for NOTLD from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

darth los
09-Jun-2007, 03:01 AM
I don't know about that,maybe you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if he got inspiration from hitchcock films, he is a master after all. However, the last man on earth was definitely "an" inspiration if not the only one. I'm sure the "old" zombie movies,where people were simply a voodoo witchdoctor's mindless slave, had to give him an idea or two as well.

Danny
09-Jun-2007, 07:45 AM
it was the last man on earth, it also inspired the omega man and the bitchin' vincent price version of this, so crappy that cells under the microscope were blatantly drawings on paper.
aye those were the days.;)

capncnut
10-Jun-2007, 03:13 AM
it was the last man on earth, it also inspired the omega man and the bitchin' vincent price version of this, so crappy that cells under the microscope were blatantly drawings on paper.
aye those were the days.;)
You knows it, Hellz. :sneaky:

Mike70
12-Jun-2007, 05:46 AM
is it me or is the trailer for this film one of the most boring things ever? lots of rehashed, overused scenes of people trying to escape then will smith wandering around new york looking for a proper place to beat his bishop or do whatever else keeps him happy in the postapoc big apple.

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 05:53 AM
HELLO HOLLYWOOD!!! CAN WE GET SOME ORIGINAL IDEAS PLEASE !?!?! :mad:

Danny
12-Jun-2007, 01:54 PM
dude no the last time someone said that timecop happened, so pipe down or they'l hear you!:lol:

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 05:40 PM
dude no the last time someone said that timecop happened, so pipe down or they'l hear you!:lol:

I guess we're damned if we do and dmned if we don't on that one. When we don't say anything we get gems like Street fighter, mortal Kombat and ( i know this your personal fav) House of the dead !!!:eek:

Danny
12-Jun-2007, 06:15 PM
adn when you do you get timecop, the pacifier and terminator 3:barf: