PDA

View Full Version : Eating Habits Website

Fulcifan91
07-Sep-2006, 02:06 AM
I re-did the layout, let me know what you think.

http://www.spaghettiindustries.com/eatinghabits

placebo
07-Sep-2006, 07:57 AM
It's not bad, I'm not really a web guy but I have some suggestions.

First thing I noticed was the black background, which is more preference based but some sort of texture would really bring it more into being compositionally correct.
Like maybe a brick, stone or metal texture that's somewhat transparnt allowing the "blackground" to show through.
Or even just a border that seperates the black background around the edges would be better than all black.

The trailer that automatically launches is a big no no in web design though.
If someone with a bad connection logs on it could totally degrade the whole experience with your site.
Since I use a Mac, Windows Media Player doesn't auto launch or play wmv content within the page, quicktime player launches with a shareware plugin that allows it to play wmv files but only half way through.
You might consider providing links to the wmv AND a mov version on a page dedicated to your trailer, it would be a much more professional way to do things.
Since the whole world doesn't use windows and internet explorer, you want your page to adhere to web standards that will look very similar across other browsers.
Failing to do so is a hallmark of amateur web designers. Your site might end up looking great in windows using IE, but really bad using Safari on a Mac or some flavor of Mozilla on any of a host of *NIX systems, not to mention mobile phones or set top systems.
I know you're proud of the trailer, and that's the focus on the site, but you should allow visitors to view it on their own terms, not force it on everyone as soon as the homepage loads. It will also help give the idea that your trailer isn't the only thing going on on your end.
What are you designing it with?
If you use a web design app like frontpage or dreamweaver, you might consider modifying a template to give continuity with a nice cohesive theme of your creation.
The artwork is good, you've kept it simple and elegant instead of how alot of people crowd the homepage with graphics so visitors are confused and overwhelmed.

Another thing is the navigation panel, the "News, Media, Press, Contact, About" menu.
You might consider using rollovers for that. By rollovers, I mean buttons that change and give a tooltip when you hover over them.
Something like maybe just the text without the rectangular shape to the button, in white but turns red when rolled over, or vice versa.

Hope you don't get offended by my comments (alot of people who ask for crits really only want praise), but that's what asking for crits is all about. Improvement.

Fulcifan91
07-Sep-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes thank you. I am basically writing all of hte code out myself, i dont have frontpage or anything else, and i dont know any better way to do it. I was alreayd planning on doing rollover, it was just i didnt have time last nigt. THanks for the suggestions I will owrk on them today after shool.:)

DjfunkmasterG
07-Sep-2006, 11:14 AM
Looks pretty good. You could do away with the hanging guy though. Also, even though everyone here knows I had some health issues it isn't really good to be broadcasting it on your news section. I appreciate the best wishes, and thank you but... you should remove that off the news.

Danny
07-Sep-2006, 11:25 AM
coming from a guy who spent all last year makeing one in wordpad with HTML thats not bad, ive seen way worse.;)

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2006, 07:00 PM
Actually, I don't think it's bad at all - I like it. Hell, even Deadlands website isn't "all that" meaning, it's not like a professionally authored website, but to me it's not about how a website "looks" as much as it's content.

I like it.

LC

placebo
08-Sep-2006, 03:00 AM
Yeah, content is key, but presentation is also important.
Especially since alot of people that would view something like that, would start to form their decision based on the way the material is presented.

When someone does a sloppy job on a website (which I'm not saying is the case here, because sloppy doesn't really apply), it's usually an indication that the content offered will also suffer from the same fate.

This guy is doin it right, because he's here asking what he can do to improve it, and acting on it.

If someone is very meticulous about the film in which the website is advertising, they will not want the website to detract from that.
So they'll make the website also look very professional, as they did the film.