PDA

View Full Version : poster displays

deadwalk85
11-Mar-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm looking for the best way to display my posters. I thought on hanging them, but some are very rare and not in the best of shape and I think it might damage them. I was considering looking into fiberflass sheets and screwing them together to make a sort of frame. I've seen this done before but I'm not familiar with the process. Maybe someone here knows what they're doing.

Thanks.
M.H.

Philly_SWAT
16-Mar-2006, 02:01 PM
I dont know what I'm doing, but I assume you mean "plexiglass" and not "fiberglass". Fiberglass would protect them very well, but only Superman could see the poster underneath. But plexiglass does sound like a good idea. A cheaper alternative would be to put them on a posterboard and have them....Shrinkwrapped (dont know the official term) where a plastic sheet is wrapped tightly around the poster and the cardboard. I am sure the local poster shop in the mall would do it for you, for a price of course, but much cheaper than the plexiglass, I would assume.

DjfunkmasterG
16-Mar-2006, 05:27 PM
Just got to WAL-MART and buy Poster frames. They sell them now. I think they run $19.88 for a 27x40 display.

bassman
16-Mar-2006, 06:42 PM
Yeah....what DJ said. I don't know what kind he's talking about(probably the wood frames) but I found mine at walmart for about 5-10 bucks each. They're the kind with sort of cardboard backing, plastic front, and black plastic clips that just slide on each side of the poster.

They work really well except there is one problem.....depending on when your posters(im guessing movie posters) were made, they may be a different size. I've got some pre-90's posters which, although the standard at that time, are now several inches larger than newer posters.

I have one poster that I have yet to find a frame for because its WAY too big and heavy. It's a poster of "Ghostbusters" that was hung outside of a large theater in New York upon the film's release(payed a couple hundred bucks for it on Ebay. The material it's made out of is crazy.....very very thick). Well, the poster is about 5 feet long and about 3 1/2-4 feet wide. The only frame I've found around here is one I will have to have custom made(with the cheapest parts, of course) and it would be about 350-400 bucks.:mad:

Deadman_Deluxe
16-Mar-2006, 07:55 PM
I was looking into a frame for a standard quad poster size (30 x 40) ... decent black/silver aluminum ones are running at about 80 to 100 GBP ... that is over $150.00 US or so.

Hardly cheap, but you only need one or two and you can store lots of other posters safely behind them ... PLUS there are no posters in that range which are bigger than 30 x 40 ... so you have a quality frame which will house ALL your posters of any size on a mounting board ... you just have to fork out a decent ammount of cash.

Did i mention that they also look pretty cool ?

p2501
17-Mar-2006, 02:36 PM
where did you find those?

i need to have my Battle royale poster, it should just fit those specs.

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Mar-2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/nemop.htm

STANDARD BORDER 30"X40" BRITISH QUAD FAST LOAD MOVIE POSTER FRAMES

You can spend hundreds of dollars to have a movie poster framed, once it is framed you have to live with what you have, or spend hundreds more to have another one of your favorite posters framed. Not with this frame, rotation is literally a snap. All four sides snap open and then lock the poster inside. Hassle free, and looks great for a great price. Bring to life any room with one of your favorite posters using this frame.

+

http://www.quadbod.co.uk/

Or 70 / 80.00GBP from this UK quadbod guy above for what looks to be the same frame.

Let me know what they are like if you order any.

kortick
29-May-2006, 12:15 AM
go to your local comic book shop

they sell a item similar to a comic bag
which the poster slides into
it is made of hard plastic
they are about 10 bucks each

if they dont have them they can order them

i have all my posters in these
they are made for collectable posters

DjfunkmasterG
29-May-2006, 01:17 PM
go to your local comic book shop

they sell a item similar to a comic bag
which the poster slides into
it is made of hard plastic
they are about 10 bucks each

if they dont have them they can order them

i have all my posters in these
they are made for collectable posters

Do they seal the poster up pretty good. I have a few posters (Zombie Posters) that have beensigned by Cast & crew from the films and I wanna be able to preserve the poster?

Right now they are in Regular poster frames I picked up at Wally World for $15 a pop.

MapMan
30-May-2006, 04:15 AM
You could get them laminated.

p2501
30-May-2006, 03:40 PM
http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/nemop.htm

STANDARD BORDER 30"X40" BRITISH QUAD FAST LOAD MOVIE POSTER FRAMES

You can spend hundreds of dollars to have a movie poster framed, once it is framed you have to live with what you have, or spend hundreds more to have another one of your favorite posters framed. Not with this frame, rotation is literally a snap. All four sides snap open and then lock the poster inside. Hassle free, and looks great for a great price. Bring to life any room with one of your favorite posters using this frame.

+

http://www.quadbod.co.uk/

Or 70 / 80.00GBP from this UK quadbod guy above for what looks to be the same frame.

Let me know what they are like if you order any.

****ing sweet. will do.

kortick
31-May-2006, 03:31 AM
sorry i didnt respond quicker

i dont usually come into this forum
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?cat=7

this is an example of some of the stuff i mean
i used to own 3 comic book stores
so i know about these things where others dont

they go to wal mart or other such things
when you need to go to a place that deals in collectables

good luck

kev
31-May-2006, 09:13 PM
What thickness bags would you reccomend for posters so they can be hang on the wall , is 2mm to thin, is the 4mm really nice and stiff?

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Jun-2006, 01:01 AM
What thickness bags would you reccomend for posters so they can be hang on the wall , is 2mm to thin, is the 4mm really nice and stiff?

As a rough guide, try to imagine 4mm (herbivore) is actually TWICE as thick as 2mm (carnivore), possibly even twice as thick in reality or twice as thick in concept, two times if manufactured and double thickness in design. If i am correct in my thinking, then 6mm (ying) would be TRIPLE the thickness, and 8mm (yang) would quite literally be QUADRUPLE the thickness of 2mm, whereas 1mm (stillborn godzilla) would hold one HALF of the overall girth.

Dog bless Amerika!

NOTLDC5
27-Sep-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm looking for the best way to display my posters. I thought on hanging them, but some are very rare and not in the best of shape and I think it might damage them. I was considering looking into fiberflass sheets and screwing them together to make a sort of frame. I've seen this done before but I'm not familiar with the process. Maybe someone here knows what they're doing.

Thanks.
M.H.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?cat=7

I'm assuming you are talking about movie posters (one sheets) - In that case this would be less expensive than framing and you can always slide the posters in the sleeves against cardboard and then custom frame them. The plastic sleeves would then protect the posters instead of glass.

Or just put the posters in the sleeves against the cardboard backing and stand them around your room.

I would not recommend laminating as that will bring down the value of the poster should you ever decide to sell any down the road. If you don't care about that then go ahead and laminate.

The sleeves with cardboard backing work great for storage/display. I frame some of my posters under glass and for the others I use the above method which protects them and they can still be viewed.

Just got to WAL-MART and buy Poster frames. They sell them now. I think they run $19.88 for a 27x40 display.

That's the problem - I've had people try to sell me the 27x40 size and I walk away fast - one sheets are 27x41 which means you would have to trim the poster to make them fit in a 27x40 frame which I would never do.

Make sure the frames for the movie posters are 27x41. And don't go by "movie poster frames" in any ads. Make sure they state the size as 27x41.

If you are not talking about movie posters (one sheets) but the retail posters then the walmart frames should work for you.