PDA

View Full Version : The Official Jericho Thread (Spoiler Warning)

Kaos
08-Sep-2006, 02:58 AM
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/

This is a new show on CBS about a small town cut off from the rest of the world during a nuclear crisis.

This may be fun for the end of the world fans like us.

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 03:31 AM
hey nice find i hope fx picks it up or sky one so we can se it over here, looks like the best american show since carnivale':)

Adrenochrome
08-Sep-2006, 03:36 AM
I saw a commercial for Jericho the other night - it looks like it could be pretty good.
I'm also looking forward to one on NBC called Heroes - http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/Heroes/

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 03:48 AM
what like a 4400 style show or more like a superhero kinda drama like smallville, on the note of these kinda shows what happened to threshold?, that was much better than the 4400.

oh and since i allwasy like to give something back im gonna suggest a british drama like this which is all gritty and dramatic but surprisingly for a british series high production values like 28 days later,
its called "the last train" and its about a group of people on a train, no duh, that crashes in a tunnel and a woman on the train was heading to a bomb shelter, cus a meteor was gonna hit england and she was gonna freeze herslef, but the canister craks in the crash and freezes them for a few decades and when they thaw britain is nothing but overgrown rubble...

needless to say it kicks ass its probably on youtube or something i suggest looking it up.:cool:

heres the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Train

TheWalkingDude
08-Sep-2006, 05:13 AM
Well i know i will check it out and see if its any good like the previews:skull:

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2006, 02:13 PM
what like a 4400 style show or more like a superhero kinda drama like smallville, on the note of these kinda shows what happened to threshold?, that was much better than the 4400.

oh and since i allwasy like to give something back im gonna suggest a british drama like this which is all gritty and dramatic but surprisingly for a british series high production values like 28 days later,
its called "the last train" and its about a group of people on a train, no duh, that crashes in a tunnel and a woman on the train was heading to a bomb shelter, cus a meteor was gonna hit england and she was gonna freeze herslef, but the canister craks in the crash and freezes them for a few decades and when they thaw britain is nothing but overgrown rubble...

needless to say it kicks ass its probably on youtube or something i suggest looking it up.:cool:

heres the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Train

Sweet! I will check this out--I love Brit productions as a change of pace (Except some of your comedies--no offense).

Mike70
08-Sep-2006, 09:47 PM
i am going to watch this show although i know that it probably won't last too long. nothing good ever does on NBC, ABC, or CBS. major network shows are moron food for the masses.

Kaos
10-Sep-2006, 12:01 AM
i am going to watch this show although i know that it probably won't last too long. nothing good ever does on NBC, ABC, or CBS. major network shows are moron food for the masses.

The only network show I really like is Lost. Currently Jericho is scheduled to premiere at 8pm Wednesday the 20th of September. If they move it to the 9pm slot against Lost then it will definitely fail.

Monrozombi
10-Sep-2006, 06:43 PM
anyone notice the trends of tv shows the past 2 years in this genre. they're very interconnected episode wise and all lead to some big revelation at the end of the season or start at the end of some crisis. it's an interesting concept but also at the same time, how long can you draw this stuff out? I liked the show Invasion but when the networks started with their holiday breaks and moving time slots I lost track of it and thus it was cancelled. I'm anxiously awaiting lost, hopefully the new shows this year will take some pages out of the Lost book and keep us intrigued week to week

Wooley
11-Sep-2006, 06:11 AM
I like the trend towards a story told with an arc rather than self contained episodes.

It makes a clear progression in the story when there is a beginning, middle and end to the story arc, and thus a more enjoyable program since you can draw things out over several episodes, make things more detailed, and not have to worry about wrapping up each little thing inside the alotted time.

It also opens up more what ifs than the self contained episode format.

You couldn't do a 24, or Prison Break with the conventional self contained episode format.

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks Kaos. Never heard anything about this show until you posted. Looks like it could be something good.

jdog
11-Sep-2006, 07:57 AM
looks like it could be good

Kaos
15-Sep-2006, 01:56 PM
Keep your eyes open folks. It is on this Wednesday at 8pm on CBS.

p2501
15-Sep-2006, 02:57 PM
the screener is alvailable online i watched it last night. all and all the show starts out pretty good. it has some Lost-like elements. but i liked how clever it was in spots. all and all i reccomend it, but i'll give it 5-10 episodes to really hook me.

on the other hand i caught the screener for Kidnapped. it lost me after the first 5 minutes. it's trying to hard to be Man on Fire versus Ransom, without the writing to back it up.

though Eugene victor toombs was in it so i may DL some Eps to see if he reappears.

Eyebiter
16-Sep-2006, 11:34 AM
episode 1 is online

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fall06/?d=200

Kaos
16-Sep-2006, 02:47 PM
episode 1 is online

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fall06/?d=200

Thanks EB.

I am going to wait to see it on TV, but if anyone watches and wants to give their impressions without any spoilers I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Wooley
17-Sep-2006, 04:10 AM
My spoiler free impressions:

It'll be the first network TV show besides 24, Prison Break and Vanished I make an effort to watch, if they can keep up the quality I saw in the first episode.

Kaos
17-Sep-2006, 05:32 AM
My spoiler free impressions:

It'll be the first network TV show besides 24, Prison Break and Vanished I make an effort to watch, if they can keep up the quality I saw in the first episode.

Thanks! Am really looking forward to this one.:)

Eyebiter
20-Sep-2006, 10:58 PM
Reminder Jericho is on tonight

p2501
21-Sep-2006, 12:38 AM
dammit, where were you last night.

i missed the unit.

Kaos
21-Sep-2006, 02:28 AM
Reminder Jericho is on tonight

I thought it was pretty good. I'll watch it again next week.

dammit, where were you last night.

i missed the unit.

DVR, dude. DVR.

Exatreides
21-Sep-2006, 02:53 AM
Watched the episode online, looks pretty interesting. Hope it doesnt turn into a Mad Max clone or something

Danny
25-Sep-2006, 04:01 AM
just saw the first ep on youtube, very nice i must say, though ,like heroes, it does seem to be another 'lost' style affiar if you know what i mean, what with the enigmatic black guy who knows somethin' about somethin' he aint letting on, a group of rouge nut jobs with guns in the wilderness and a large group of characters from crooks to people with secrets, sounds vaguely famiiar.....:shifty:
and its starting on uk satellite and cable on hallmark....yeah i know:rolleyes:

anyhoo heres a link for anyone outside america since the cbs site probably thinks people are terrorists or something, cus i cant think of a sane reason its "not allowed to be viewed outside america", too bad really i wanted to see how they incorporated that "beond jericho" thing about other survivors.

heres the youtube link folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0rmWoTFZc&mode=related&search=

mods embed if you see fit, its got links to the other parts

p2501
25-Sep-2006, 01:48 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I'll watch it again next week.

DVR, dude. DVR.

glad you liked it.

also, nah i just torrented it.

Danny
26-Sep-2006, 03:54 PM
oh you badnit:D

p2501
26-Sep-2006, 05:28 PM
yep, that's me.....

Kaos
28-Sep-2006, 01:08 AM
Ok folks. We learn that more than Atlanta and Denver were nuked.

The cities hit are as follows: Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Diego There were more implied, but that is what was confirmed.

CivilDefense
28-Sep-2006, 12:21 PM
I liked what I saw, and from my username you should see why.. The only issue I can see is that... If the rest of the world is fine? how can this show run more than two seasons?

I will definatley watch it, its something I am interesting in following for sure, I just cant see where it is going, much like Jerimiah did.

p2501
28-Sep-2006, 02:16 PM
interesting.

i missed last nights ep.

Danny
28-Sep-2006, 03:50 PM
the second ones out?, this looks like a job for youtube.:cool:

p2501
28-Sep-2006, 03:55 PM
or torrent, once my internet at home get fixed..........

Wooley
29-Sep-2006, 07:34 AM
The only issue I can see is that... If the rest of the world is fine? how can this show run more than two seasons?

It's not. We find out that several more cities have been hit, and it's not a complete list.

Second ep is up on CBS's Intertube site. Good episode. Neat gunfight.

Danny
02-Oct-2006, 04:30 AM
heres the link to the second ep on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3POLgp6SjI&mode=related&search=

Neil
03-Oct-2006, 12:26 PM
Well just watched the 2nd episode....

How can the series carry on if all that fallout lands on them? Some areas would be no go - depending on radiation doses - and water and food etc would all be contaminated for years! Are the next 12 episodes all in bunkers? :)

Kaos
03-Oct-2006, 01:06 PM
Well just watched the 2nd episode....

How can the series carry on if all that fallout lands on them? Some areas would be no go - depending on radiation doses - and water and food etc would all be contaminated for years! Are the next 12 episodes all in bunkers? :)

Well,... A lot of what we were taught about nuclear bombs here was in the event of an all out nuclear strike...more than one multi megaton bomb hitting all major population centers. We don't know if these were kiloton suitcase bombs or even single megaton bombs let alone a standard 20 megaton warhead on a missile. Limited strike bombs do not have fallout that is dangerous for decades that extends far beyond ground zero.

That makes it all the more scary that someone may use one.

p2501
03-Oct-2006, 01:14 PM
the nuke they saw in the distance, was defenitely a full scale one. the coud was too big to be a suitcase unit.

i have to admit i'm curious how they're going to figure a way out of it.

Wooley
03-Oct-2006, 08:11 PM
Lots of what people 'know' about nuclear war, fallout, radiation and such is simply untrue.

It'd take about 2 weeks for fallout in most areas to dissapate to the point it'd be 'safe' to be outside for short periods of time, safe meaning without risking death or incapaction.

It'd be 2-3 years in most areas before the fallout fell to US peace time 'safe' standards.

Wartime standards tend to be looser than peacetime standards.

Besides, bombs detonated against soft targets like cities, factories, and airfields will probably be airbursts, which means less fallout than a ground burst. There wasn't fallout at Hiromshima or Nagasaki, both airbursts.

The size or most bombs in the nuclear arsenals or the would are not multi megaton bombs, but bombs in the 250-600 kiloton range. The bombs got smaller when targetin gbecame more precise, and you could stick smaller warheads on a Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicle missle and have one missile target numerous sites.

bassman
03-Oct-2006, 08:33 PM
There wasn't fallout at Hiromshima or Nagasaki, both airbursts.

Hrmmm....No fallout at Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I guess those shows on the History/Discover/Science channels lied to me:confused: ...

Neil
03-Oct-2006, 09:45 PM

In effect the entire mushroom cloud is potential fallout. Material sucked up from ground level and irradiated to different degrees.

As you suggest the fact the bombs were air-bursts does decrease the amount of radioactive fallout, but does not eliminate it.

At Hiroshima and Nagasaki, fallout wasn't measured - The US was mainly interested in testing the explosive power of the devices, and not their non-immediate effects.

However, "black rain" was recorded as starting with tens of minutes at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and continued for hours. In fact at Nagasaki I think it carried on for most of the day of the blast.

ps: Those poor poor hundreds of thousands of people :(

Danny
04-Oct-2006, 11:42 PM

hmm...so the people hat looked like blistery charcoal i saw in history last week called "pictures of fallout survivors" must have been a hoax then.

oh dear....:rolleyes:

Kaos
05-Oct-2006, 01:09 AM
OK, it looks like there was negligible radiation fallout from that storm. This could mean a number of things. They obviously knew it was a potential threat. It could mean that the fallout hasn't reached the weather system that hits Jericho yet, or that the fallout was less than expected, or nukes were not used, or low kilotonage neutron bombs were used localizing and short living some of the radiation effect.

It looks like Witchita and Kansas City are toast as well as Portland and either Austin or Dallas.

CivilDefense
06-Oct-2006, 02:02 PM
In effect the entire mushroom cloud is potential fallout. Material sucked up from ground level and irradiated to different degrees.

As you suggest the fact the bombs were air-bursts does decrease the amount of radioactive fallout, but does not eliminate it.

Correct but a proper ground burst will generate Oh so much more fallout. Im thinking terrorists arent going to have megaton sized bombs that would heave such huge craters into the ground however.
--snip--
A useful rule-of-thumb is the "rule of sevens". This rule states that for every seven-fold increase in time following a fission detonation (starting at or after 1 hour), the radiation intensity decreases by a factor of 10. Thus after 7 hours, the residual fission radioactivity declines 90%, to one-tenth its level of 1 hour. After 7*7 hours (49 hours, approx. 2 days), the level drops again by 90%. After 7*2 days (2 weeks) it drops a further 90%; and so on for 14 weeks. The rule is accurate to 25% for the first two weeks, and is accurate to a factor of two for the first six months. After 6 months, the rate of decline becomes much more rapid. The rule of sevens corresponds to an approximate t^-1.2 scaling relationship.

--snip--

my point earlier was that if they didnt blow up canada and mexico.. the rest of the world. whats the point, wheres it going, I would imagine we would be invaded pretty quickly.

Kaos
12-Oct-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,

I moved this thread to the media forum and retitled the thread. I thought this weeks episode was interesting with the folks from Jericho trying to help the doomed refugees from Denver's suburbs.

I am still trying to figure out the "secret agent" angle.