PDA

View Full Version : "its the end of the world as we know it"

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 03:40 AM
y'know after thinking about waht kaos said in the jericho thread ive noticed dead heads also seem to like the end of the world/ post apocalyptic films a lot and i just wondered if any other script writers here had actually done this as well as zombies, i wrote one a while back about gene therapy replaceing plastic surgery and having latent horrifying side effects, y know one of those "what if the whole world began to change, except you?" kinda storys...hey that line aint bad....:)

anyhoo any of youns guys tryed your hand at this stuff and why do you recon its so popular?

placebo
08-Sep-2006, 05:13 AM
There's always a fear of apocalypse, even to those who don't admit it.

And I believe the root of it has pretty much always been RELIGION.

Plus the logic that says that everything has a beginning and an end.

Don't know how familiar people are with the concepts of things like Quantum Superposition theory.
But the short of it is that reality exists as wavelengths of possibilty, and it's not until we decide on any specific thing that we collapse the point of the wavelength into a particle of our experience.
So logic dictates then that there are all sorts of possibilities we aren't even aware of.
So we actually make decisions that our scope of experience, and range of knowledge is limited.
Because it doesn't have to be!

My point is that people decide not to follow their thoughts through to logical conclusion, which in turn breeds fear and creates such fun stuff as apocalyptic thinking.
Maybe if we don't bring on an apocalypse, we'll one day see through the fear we have of the unknown.
And will no longer be able to enjoy such things as apocalyptic scenarios and Z-Day.
But until then, it sure is fun, no??

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 06:35 AM
hows that differ from chaos theory?

placebo
08-Sep-2006, 08:56 AM
It's alot different, and as far as I know isn't used to validate or invalidate chaos theory.
It's pretty much a totally different field.

In short explanation, wikipedia has this to say:
Quantum superposition is the application of the superposition principle to quantum mechanics. The superposition principle is the addition of the amplitudes of waves from interference. In quantum mechanics it is the amplitudes of wavefunctions, or state vectors, that add. It occurs when an object simultaneously "possesses" two or more values for an observable quantity (e.g. the position or energy of a particle).

If you want to know more, as in a more useful explanation, check out the film "What the *#@$ (bleep) Do We Know".

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 09:18 AM
actually that made sense to me, which is surprising, and for those who dont get a priem example of chaos theory is when proffessor x became crippled in a fight with magneto in the x men, during the recovery he decided to found the school for gifted youngsters, but if he had been in a different location at the time, even if only a few feet he wouldnt have been crippled, founded the school and non of the comics events would have happened.