PDA

View Full Version : Mario Hoops comes out this week....

hseiken
12-Sep-2006, 07:53 PM
Looks like a winner to me. I love the way companies are making inspired use of the touch screen.

Cody
12-Sep-2006, 08:58 PM
for that portable nintendo?

hseiken
12-Sep-2006, 09:48 PM
you know it, buddy. :D

DeadJonas190
13-Sep-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm not a big basketball fan, but that game looks very fun. I may pick it up if the price is right.

hseiken
14-Sep-2006, 10:56 PM
just bought it and played a few games...takes a little bit of practice, but it's quite cool the way the controls work. you actually have to dribble for once in a game (since the old game Double Dribble in the arcade) and the stylus movements make sense as far as what they do, i.e. doing a spin around while dribbling with the ball is done by dragging down and then the direction you want to spin. While standing still, where you dribble is actually important for keeping the ball from being taken from you, so you tap different parts of the screen to keep the ball out of the opponent's reach (useful for gaining coins).

So far, it's quite awesome. Highly recommended. Only downside, no online play.

Wow, there's a lot of hidden depth to this one...I'm at the last match of the Rainbow Tourney and I'm having to go back and practice some techniques to get a grasp on effective use of them. Also, went through some tutorials and found how to do super shots, which have a base score of 40 to 50 points + however many coins you get...basically, you tap the screen to dribble in a certain pattern twice (i.e. Mario would have to dribble in an 'M' pattern and Princess Peach requires a simple upside down triangle). They're very difficult to pull off since once you perform the pattern once, you must stop for the second one and then the animation takes even longer...so it requires lots of team work. Then there's the blocking mechanism which is really cool.

I can definately see me playing this one quite a bit...I'm only wondering what to do to unlock more characters and such...I've gone through the 3 main tourneys and scored 1st already and it appears that rainbow will be the last tourney...hmmm...

hseiken
18-Sep-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm really enjoying this game now that i've become accustomed to the controls and know a majority of the ins and outs of offense and defense moves. I can't to find someone to play. That's probably the biggest downfall of the game: no wi-fi support. :(