PDA

View Full Version : An appeal

Arcades057
15-Sep-2006, 12:21 AM
Could the staff maybe, I don't know, question people involved in a supposed scheme before indiscriminatly punishing anyone remotely involved in said scheme?

Might make for a little better solution next time.

Angry312
15-Sep-2006, 12:55 AM
What steps are necessary to make a case of potential rules breach/ToU abuse worth investigating?

Neil
15-Sep-2006, 08:55 AM
As I've already said, I'm sorry if any of the dozen people who have received warning points feel they did not deserve them, but we could not go canvassing every member of the group to assess to what degree they took part in this "abuse". As such everyone was given two warning points. Now please keep in mind, they were not banned, were not given nine warning points, or eight, or even seven... see where this is going?... They were given just two warning points.

Of course verbal warnings could have been given out, but the problem with this is in five months time, if/when someone acts up again the "words" have long since gone. The warning system is a far more efficient method of "warning" as everyone knows where they stand and what for.

As to the interpretation of whether the "scheme" was an "abuse" or not, the reputation system is designed to reward individuals for their posts, comments and generally reflect their general good participation in the forum. Simply throwing reputation at anyone for anything just so a group can for some reason then reward each other for no other reason than they wish to rise up the "reputation league" is somewhat cynical IMHO. Hence the action...

What is of course of particular interest is some of the individuals involved didn't favour the reputation system. They could have course do what I do, and just ignore it, however, instead they took it upon themselves to "abuse" it and in effect attempt to render it useless, therefore spoiling the system for the user who do value it, and do like it. This is a very cynical act!

Again, I'm sorry if you feel unhappy with the outcome, but please keep in mind all that has happened is two points have been added to a warning system. Nothing more, nothing less. These individuals are absolutely free to continue their forum activities unchanged, other than hopefully remembering they are part of a forum community which needs to remain some basic rules of good conduct.

Now if the reputation system stays or goes is another matter - Personally I've never particularly favoured it, but I was happy to go with what the majority wanted... It's use here was being reaccessed anyway, and this situation has just added to the issues involved in that discussion...

This matter is closed as far as I'm concerned. If you want to discuss it further feel free to PM me.

Andy
15-Sep-2006, 01:17 PM
Now if the reputation system stays or goes is another matter - Personally I've never particularly favoured it, but I was happy to go with what the majority wanted... It's use here was being reaccessed anyway, and this situation has just added to the issues involved in that discussion...

i just want to add i am going to be re-evaluating the limits on using the rep system and tightening them up to prevent something like this from happening again.

Deadman_Deluxe
16-Sep-2006, 02:06 AM
i just want to add i am going to be re-evaluating the limits on using the rep system and tightening them up to prevent something like this from happening again.

Bravo. And not before time.