PDA

View Full Version : NotLD 90 Screening with Tom Savini

axlish
19-Sep-2006, 11:58 PM
Friend of the site Lee Karr is hosting a screening of NOTLD 90 at the Waterworks Cinemas in Pittsburgh, PA at midnight on the evenings of October 20th and 21st. On Friday the 20th, Tom Savini will introduce the film and host a Q&A session starting at 11:00 PM. On Saturday the 21st, there will be a trivia contest and prizes prior to the screening. The theatre is Waterworks Cinemas and is located at 930 Freeport Road in Pittsburgh, PA. If you have any questions please feel free to call the theatre at 412-784-1416 and ask for Lee.

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/savini_1990_flyer.jpg

Neil
20-Sep-2006, 12:16 PM
Going to be VERY interesting to see what Savini says about the film. When I've heard him speak about it, he's sounded a touch bitter about his treatment. eg: He wasn't even present at times while the film was being edited etc.

There was also talk about large amounts of money disappearing from the budget!

axlish
20-Sep-2006, 12:35 PM
I agree, someone (not Lee naturally) should ask him the tough questions. He was more than willing to talk to Deadpit about it.

Eyebiter
20-Sep-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't suppose any of the Philly crowd will attend with a video camera for the Q&A session?

thxleo
21-Sep-2006, 04:52 PM
I wanted to thank Eric for posting the flyer for me. I was having a problem posting it and he was nice enough to post it on here for me. Thanks!
The flyer was created by Chris "The Greek" Stavrakis and he did a great job. I've asked Chris to be the emcee, for lack of a better word, for the evening. Chris actually worked on the film for a short period of time for the makeup fx team, Optic Nerve. But I'll let him tell that story of what happened. :sneaky:

capncnut
19-Oct-2006, 02:52 PM
The flyer was created by Chris "The Greek" Stavrakis and he did a great job.

That dude did a great commentary with Savini on the euro Dawn dvd. Quite possibly my fave GAR film commentary of all time...

Minerva_Zombi
19-Oct-2006, 07:00 PM
ive never heard it. thought the dawn euro dvd had commentary by the actors

capncnut
19-Oct-2006, 07:30 PM
thought the dawn euro dvd had commentary by the actors

When the extended version (139 min minus 2 seconds of cuts) was first released in the UK, it only had a stills gallery and a commentary (boo!). The commentary was a Euro exclusive by Tom Savini and Chris Stavrakis and is the best of the Dawn audios in my opinion. The pair of 'em approach it from the fanboys point of view and are often geeky (ie: when Roger lights up a smoke in the movie, Tom says "ah, let's have a cigarette with Scottie - but only if you got a zippo!"). I think this edition has now been deleted but the UK trilogy box set is still available and contains the commentary. Funny thing is, the extended version has since been restored and it still has Tom and Chris discussing the cuts and mocking them. Hehe. :lol:

Neil
19-Oct-2006, 09:51 PM
I remember doing an MP3 of that commentary for someone here!?!?

jscott
20-Oct-2006, 01:59 AM

Moi. Could anyone possibly do the same for the UK Day of the Dead commentary with KNB?

axlish
20-Oct-2006, 02:49 AM

It laid nicely over a proper 4:3 capture :)

Neil
20-Oct-2006, 07:09 AM
Moi. Could anyone possibly do the same for the UK Day of the Dead commentary with KNB?

Cheeky b*stard :) Certainly not at the moment - Up to the eyebrows in various things (including nappies)... Remind me in a few months.

ps: Which version are we talking about? (ie: Have I got it!)

capncnut
20-Oct-2006, 11:57 AM
Which version are we talking about?

The man obviously means the recent UK 2-disc 'special' edition of Day (not that a 39 minute bonus disc is really all that 'special'). The KNB commentary is okay, nothing special though.

Eyebiter
22-Oct-2006, 02:38 PM
So did anyone go? How was it? Any pics? Good new info or stories about the Night 1990 production?

Cody
22-Oct-2006, 05:17 PM
I need to go to one of these before every dies off

thxleo
23-Oct-2006, 05:31 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who was able to make it out for the weekend. We had exactly 100 people who showed up over the weekend and I hope that everyone had fun. Tom was very honest and entertaining during the Q&A. He also gave us some juicy tidbits regarding "Grindhouse".
Again, thanks to any HPOTD members who made it out.

bassman
23-Oct-2006, 05:52 PM
Can you share some of those Q&A's and juicy tidbits?:D

capncnut
23-Oct-2006, 07:55 PM
Tom was very honest and entertaining during the Q&A. He also gave us some juicy tidbits regarding "Grindhouse".

Oooh, do share... :shifty:

thxleo
23-Oct-2006, 08:47 PM
Can you share some of those Q&A's and juicy tidbits?:D

Sure. He went into detail about how he gets killed in the movie, starting with his fingers being bitten off by a zombie. He also mentioned Quentin Tarantino getting his eyeball poked out by Rose McGowan with her peg leg when he tries to rape her. He said, and I quote, that the movie is "so gross, you won't believe it".
I actually called Greg Nicotero Friday night because he is coming to Pittsburgh to shoot an R.L. Stine movie, to ask him about that. He was on the set of "Grindhouse" and told me that he was standing right next to Kurt Russell. He lives the coolest life man. Hanging with Snake Plissken! I'm jealous.

Cody
23-Oct-2006, 11:37 PM
savini is one cool dude I emailed him once and he actually responded back "hey thanks man"

those 3 words were magical and Ill always remember them

Neil
25-Oct-2006, 08:32 AM
He was on the set of "Grindhouse" and told me that he was standing right next to Kurt Russell. He lives the coolest life man. Hanging with Snake Plissken! I'm jealous.

God I wish it was Kurt Russell in the new "I Am Legend"...

capncnut
26-Oct-2006, 06:45 PM

God, I wish it was Ray Winstone in the new 'I Am Legend'. "Look ya slahg, I'm the f**kin' daddy. Get away from me nah, you virally infected c**t!" :lol:

Griff
16-Nov-2006, 01:38 PM

God I wish it was Ed Harris in the new "I Am Legend"...

...just maybe a little bit younger.

I'd actually prefer a sock puppet to who they did finally cast. I guess I'll just have to wait another 35 years for the next adaptation.

capncnut
18-Nov-2006, 07:51 PM
If Kurt Russell was ever to star in I Am Legend then it has to be from his Snake Plissken days but (obviously) that is impossible now. As for the baddie (can't remember his name) it can only be Gary Oldman.

Neil
18-Nov-2006, 08:32 PM
If Kurt Russell was ever to star in I Am Legend then it has to be from his Snake Plissken days but (obviously) that is impossible now. As for the baddie (can't remember his name) it can only be Gary Oldman.

Nope he'd be fine now...

Ed Harris is also a fine selection!

We don't need a young man, we need a world wise older man completely out of his depth... Think Heston in The Omega Man!

coma
18-Nov-2006, 09:12 PM
God I wish it was Ed Harris in the new "I Am Legend"...

...just maybe a little bit younger.

I'd actually prefer a sock puppet to who they did finally cast. I guess I'll just have to wait another 35 years for the next adaptation.

I didn't see anyone say who is preferable to a sock puppet on imbd...
Will Smith?!?!?
Vincent Price
Charlton Heston
Will Smith!?!?!?!
WTF is going on in this monkey farm?:mad:
A big plate of suckitude

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 08:59 PM
I gotta admit, the prospect of Will Smith playing the lead in I Am Legend is about as inviting as a pool party at Michael Barrymore's.

coma
20-Nov-2006, 09:18 PM
I gotta admit, the prospect of Will Smith playing the lead in I Am Legend is about as inviting as a pool party at Michael Barrymore's.

At least he doesn't say "hell Yeah" at every opportunity.