PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for pandemic: know how to bury your dead

Deadman_Deluxe
21-Feb-2006, 05:36 PM
:D

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=11229138&src=rss/healthNews

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - When burying a body in the backyard, don't put it too close to the septic system. That was one piece of advice offered on Wednesday to a business conference on preparing for a potentially lethal bird flu andemic.

Preparations for a global flu pandemic, which many experts believe is overdue, have begun but the grisly details are horrific and the number of sick could quickly overwhelm the health care system.

Needed supplies of even common medical supplies such as surgical masks and gloves are in doubt, not to mention the syringes needed for an as-yet undeveloped vaccine and costly mechanical ventilators.

The H5N1 avian flu virus that has infected flocks on at least three continents and killed 91 people could be the virus that experts fear will mutate into a highly pathogenic form that kills hundreds of millions of people in a matter of weeks or months.

In Seattle, public health officials are weighing the ramifications of hospitals overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of sick people and the need for thousands of body bags.

"We talk about how people should bury their dead in their backyards, how far from the septic systems," said Dorothy Teeter, director of the King County public health department in Seattle. "In case you're wondering, it's $20 apiece for high-quality body bags. In New Orleans (after Hurricane Katrina) they had to double-bag bodies."

Refrigerated trucks will be needed to ship and store food and medicines and will not be available for corpses, a mistake made by federal authorities who commandeered trucks after Katrina, said James Caverly of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Communicating the truth will be important to deter civil unrest, several experts told the conference. Up until six months ago, the Department of Health and Human Services was planning privately for a pandemic but saying little publicly, said communications consultant Peter Sandman.

The shift may be due to President George W. Bush reading John Barry's "The Great Influenza," an account of the 1918 influenza pandemic during which government assured the public that it was just another seasonal flu outbreak, Sandman said. At the time, Barry said many communities were brought to a near standstill, with people afraid to talk to each other or care for the sick.

"When you mislead people, when you over-reassure people ... they feel less trusting, and they behave much worse," Sandman said.

Conference participants from corporations, interest groups, and government met to discuss revising just-in-time supply concepts in order to stockpile, shutting down and restarting facilities in pandemic-hit countries, and cross-training employees and bringing back retirees to replace a significant portion of their employees that might become sick, decide not to come to work, or die.

If companies stockpile masks and antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu, conference participants wondered if tax breaks would be enacted to defray the cost of preparing.

The dilemma for producers of syringes and the like is that increasing factory capacity for a one-time sale for a pandemic is bad business practice.

Meanwhile, government will have to address public skepticism about its ability to prepare for a pandemic, the official in charge of emergency preparedness at the Department of Health and Human Services said.

Cykotic
25-Feb-2006, 12:28 PM
Where have I heard this before!

bassman
26-Feb-2006, 09:02 PM
Sorry...couldn't help it.:)

erisi236
27-Feb-2006, 03:43 PM
boy I can't wait, and I got a big backyard too, lots of space! :sneaky:

MikePizzoff
03-Mar-2006, 07:48 PM
Do you really believe that the gov't is actually thinking "Hmm I have a feeling there's going to be an epidemic coming up pretty soon!"? No, they're not! They're planning one!

p2501
03-Mar-2006, 08:12 PM
nah if it goes this bad they'll have the NG doing body collections. but that'll take a week or so to set up. in the interum, you can improvise body bags on the fly with either lawn and garden or "contractor" bags and a roll of duct tape.

Marie
03-Mar-2006, 11:41 PM
Do you really believe that the gov't is actually thinking "Hmm I have a feeling there's going to be an epidemic coming up pretty soon!"? No, they're not! They're planning one!

Please... tell me why "The Government" here in the United States would be planning an epidemic?

It would eliminate taxpayers, the lifeblood of the country. It would eliminate the workers, the means of production. Unless they already had a cure it would in fact kill the very people that supposedly planned it.

Exactly what is gained by the "Evil" Government planning an epidemic?

M_

idsaluteyoubub
04-Mar-2006, 01:20 AM
If companies stockpile masks and antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu, conference participants wondered if tax breaks would be enacted to defray the cost of preparing.

Ah, the human race...always asking the questions that matter most...:mad:

Mr.E
04-Mar-2006, 03:37 PM
That's some scary ****.

I hope it doesn't come down to burying your own dead.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2006, 04:38 PM
Sounds an awful lot like scare-mongering to me, so far bird flu hasn't become a 'pandemic' and it's been around for a while - for birds it's bad news, for people it's much tougher to catch and by now most of the world should be on alert...but from another topic about the government whipping up frenzies about terrorism (or whatever), this has a ring of scaremongering to it.

We shouldn't be complacent and stupid...but we shouldn't fly off the handle about the apocalypse either...remember Y2K? It was going to be disaster - instead it was just a pain in the ass for programmers and those sorting it out...should be the same thing here, a pain in the ass for the folk tracking sick birds and disinfecting vehicles etc - for the average Joe it's going to be like most days.

Remember the mad cow CJD thing? Again, the country whipped up into a massive panic over bad meat - some countries are only just letting British beef back in...which is strange as their meat is probably in worse condition than ours! The mad cow thing didn't claim a heap of lives, it just cost a lot of money and ruined many farmers and made a big hit on livestock industry - but us humans are still here to tell the tale...the bird flu thing will probably be something similar, but it should be 'better' as we should know how to deal with this sort of thing...

...I'll shut up now. :)

Eyebiter
05-Mar-2006, 03:50 PM
For those that think this isn't a big deal

http://www.hhs.gov/pandemicflu/plan/

United States Department of Health and Human Services
Pandemic Influenza Plan

Take a look at supplement 8: Community Disease Control and Prevention
http://www.hhs.gov/pandemicflu/plan/pdf/S08.pdf

MikePizzoff
06-Mar-2006, 08:14 AM

Educate yourself on the New World Order, the Illuminati, the Free Masons, and the Skull And Bones. There's evidence of the worlds biggest leaders wanting to start population control... they're just trying to figure out how to do it without the masses catching on to the plan. Get informed; don't just sit back and choose to be ignorant. Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.

idsaluteyoubub
06-Mar-2006, 01:41 PM
Educate yourself on the New World Order, the Illuminati, the Free Masons, and the Skull And Bones. There's evidence of the worlds biggest leaders wanting to start population control... they're just trying to figure out how to do it without the masses catching on to the plan. Get informed; don't just sit back and choose to be ignorant. Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.

Or a nutball:D

p2501
06-Mar-2006, 03:00 PM

Please for the love of Ry'leth tell me your joking.

sorry but the UN can find it's ass with both hands, written instructions, and GPS. Our current administration is at best easily outwitted by the three stooges, and FEMA the favorite child of conspiracy mongerers, has proven to be about as useful as tastebuds in your asshole.

there's no NWO, there's just stupid people helping evil people **** everyone else for a bigger quarterly percentage.

now take off that tinfoil hat.

Marie
06-Mar-2006, 03:01 PM
Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.

I may be conservative... but I would never call you a radical Liberal, I don't know enough of your views. I would call you a conspiricy theorist. On a bad day I might call you a bull goose loony.... but today isn't a bad day.:D

You still haven't explained why they would kill most of the population...when the population makes the goods and services that make civilization possible. We've AVOIDED automation in most manufacturing due to Union pressure...Frankly, a disease that kills indescrimanately impresses me as a BAD plan for population control.

Just looking at it logically here....

M_

MikePizzoff
06-Mar-2006, 09:44 PM
They want to get rid of everyone that goes against the grain. Total fascism.

Now, please excuse me, this is getting far off topic and I've got to get back to the institution before they realize I got out again.

aljuweind
06-Mar-2006, 09:52 PM
Comment removed from post.

ZombieFood
09-Mar-2006, 05:32 AM
They want to get rid of everyone that goes against the grain. Total fascism.

Now, please excuse me, this is getting far off topic and I've got to get back to the institution before they realize I got out again.
Some days it just isn't worth gnawing through the restraints....

Dead_Leader
09-Mar-2006, 01:02 PM
Please... tell me why "The Government" here in the United States would be planning an epidemic?

It would eliminate taxpayers, the lifeblood of the country. It would eliminate the workers, the means of production. Unless they already had a cure it would in fact kill the very people that supposedly planned it.

M_

I'd be glad to explain why the governement would do this.

You see, the government is far more corrupt than you realise. If you know too much, you vanish, never to be seen again. That, or they make you look crazy, so everyone will ignore you. As for an epeidemic, it would be a great way to remove resistance from the United States, and pave the way for a tyrannical government to obtain an iron grip on the country and never let go. As for a cure, they most likely have one, or have immunizations. The government is currenlty trying to obtain all the power they can, and it is really easy to do that when you kill all the opposition.

p2501
09-Mar-2006, 01:47 PM
I'd be glad to explain why the governement would do this.

You see, the government is far more corrupt than you realise. If you know too much, you vanish, never to be seen again. That, or they make you look crazy, so everyone will ignore you. As for an epeidemic, it would be a great way to remove resistance from the United States, and pave the way for a tyrannical government to obtain an iron grip on the country and never let go. As for a cure, they most likely have one, or have immunizations. The government is currenlty trying to obtain all the power they can, and it is really easy to do that when you kill all the opposition.

PFFFT and only you Dead Leader, can stop them .

here's my sound tactical advice, STOP WACTHING RED DAWN. go outside, devlope a life, and maybe date a real live girl.

Marie
09-Mar-2006, 02:28 PM
and maybe date a real live girl.

I think I'm qualified to state that if he rants like that real time... all I can say is good luck finding a "real live girl" to date.

Lookit, we got problems, and we got disagreements, and I've personally talked to people who think we have too many and people who think we have too few rights.

But I'd be truly surprised if mass extermination as a social cure is ever seriously considered.

M_

p2501
09-Mar-2006, 02:37 PM
I think I'm qualified to state that if he rants like that real time... all I can say is good luck finding a "real live girl" to date.

Lookit, we got problems, and we got disagreements, and I've personally talked to people who think we have too many and people who think we have too few rights.

But I'd be truly surprised if mass extermination as a social cure is ever seriously considered.

M_

heh heh agreed on all counts.

focusing on the later issue, i cannot see a "die back' as it's called ever institued by the government at large. controling and concealing a plan like that would be impossible. further the ensuing civil unrest would kill more people than the actual act. Even suspending Poss Comuntatis wouldn't work, because as an endless number of studies have shown, most regular military units are relcutant to dispense force on a noncombatant civilian populious.

this big brother is coming to get you mentaility is bull**** of the most base form.

:rolleyes:

glazedoverdead
09-Mar-2006, 02:49 PM
Please for the love of Ry'leth tell me your joking.

sorry but the UN can find it's ass with both hands, written instructions, and GPS. Our current administration is at best easily outwitted by the three stooges, and FEMA the favorite child of conspiracy mongerers, has proven to be about as useful as tastebuds in your asshole.

there's no NWO, there's just stupid people helping evil people **** everyone else for a bigger quarterly percentage.

now take off that tinfoil hat.

Tastebuds in your asshole?!...HAHAHAHA!!!LMFAO!!

Dude, that's rich...but even if we had tastebuds in our assholes, eveything would still taste like ****!

and the tin foil hat comment...lol...priceless...not that I'm intentionally trolling or anything, but I read that and almost shat myself!:D

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds a tad too much like the usual conspiracy theory, but I don't question that a government would sacrifice some of it's people, by "not looking", to achieve justification for action. They knew full-well about 9/11 and 7/7 - yet nothing was done, but that's "collateral damage", that's about 4000 people total from those two disasters.

The way bird flu is being touted in an "epidemic" form means hundreds of thousands, perhaps into millions - which even for a corrupt government is too big a hit just to get across a point or find justification for some new action.

p2501
09-Mar-2006, 05:29 PM
Sounds a tad too much like the usual conspiracy theory, but I don't question that a government would sacrifice some of it's people, by "not looking", to achieve justification for action. They knew full-well about 9/11 and 7/7 - yet nothing was done, but that's "collateral damage", that's about 4000 people total from those two disasters.

The way bird flu is being touted in an "epidemic" form means hundreds of thousands, perhaps into millions - which even for a corrupt government is too big a hit just to get across a point or find justification for some new action.

yes an no, the "they knew" about 9-11 thing is overstated. PBS's frontline did a ****ing epic special called "the man who knew" i highly encourage everyone to check it out.

in truth yes the governent did know the plot was happeneing. but it had the information scattered across 5 different agencies, with absolutely no ongoing cross communitation. so to blame them entirely for 9-11 is assinine (not that i'm saying you are).

if anyone post about the pentagon attack being a cruise missle, i'll hunt them down and zero them out.

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2006, 05:38 PM
No offence taken, because I know what you mean - it's retarded isn't it that agencies can't cross-communicate, in this day and age, to try and prevent a terrorist attack...weird.

Cruise missle? It was blates a plane, damn ... what about all the big arse chunks-o-plane lying around the area, geez.

p2501
09-Mar-2006, 06:01 PM
No offence taken, because I know what you mean - it's retarded isn't it that agencies can't cross-communicate, in this day and age, to try and prevent a terrorist attack...weird.

Cruise missle? It was blates a plane, damn ... what about all the big arse chunks-o-plane lying around the area, geez.

the cross communitaction thing is the after birth of Clitler's gutting of our intel services. and the fact he allowed the FBI to staffed and run by complete twits.

as for the pentagon, you tell me. there are legions of websites dedicated to the idea that a cruise missle hit the pentagon, not a plane. they somehow manage to ignore the recover plane debris. how, i do not know.

MikePizzoff
09-Mar-2006, 06:35 PM
Why is it that liberals can listen to what right-wing conservatives have to say and understand that it's their opinion... yet whenever a liberal says anything all the ****ing right-wingers call them "crazy", completely put down everything they said, and don't even THINK about it. Ugh.

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2006, 07:43 PM
I've never seen a left winging liberal tree hugging whatever listen to a right winging war juknie before...weird.

idsaluteyoubub
09-Mar-2006, 10:11 PM
Why is it that liberals can listen to what right-wing conservatives have to say and understand that it's their opinion... yet whenever a liberal says anything all the ****ing right-wingers call them "crazy", completely put down everything they said, and don't even THINK about it. Ugh.

Hmm...I think its mostly that you said that our government is planning to exterminate anyone that opposes them via some epidemic...surely that is your opinion...and I thought about it...and came to the conclusion that you need help.

Did you hear that Bush is genetically creating an army of gnomes to take out the Kennedy family? No? Well probably because its too crazy to believe and anyone with a right frame of mine wouldnt believe it, as same as the epidemic conspiracy...