PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who, Sarah Jane, Hurrah!

wayzim
14-Oct-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, as a deprived Yank fan of the BBC spawned Sci-Fi series, finally catching up on The Sci-Fi Channel, this week was a treat.
Sad to see Eggleston bail, really, but the new fella is OK.
But being an older fan, when unexpectedly an original companion of The Doctor's showed up, it was fun to be had, especially the friction between old guard and next gen.
For the kids, Sarah Jane Smith ran with The Doctor when he was Jon Pertwee, and for a time when he regenerated into Tom Baker. Sadly I didn't remember exactly when she parted company with our space tripping Time Lord, or when the next batch of companions showed up. In fact I kinda lost touch with the good Doctor til that abortive American attempt to resurrect him several years back. Eric Roberts as The Master just wasn't quite the same.
Still, the current show is quite fun, with enough of the old mixed in with the new to keep me interested. And for Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans, seeing Anthony Stewart Head being evil was a plus.

Wayne Z
"This ain't no midnight Horror show, or Creature double feature, babe! "

kortick
14-Oct-2006, 05:53 PM
wow
as an old time fan of the doc
it is great to hear sarah returned

she was with the doc when pertwee was him
and she stayed until the hand of fear episode
and was replaced by leela

the new dr series is good
i am glad to have it back

and you are right nobody
can beat roger delgado as the master

i always wanted to see
dr tom meet with the original master
but sadly it was never to be

got to look out for the episode with sarah

thanks for the tip

Eyebiter
14-Oct-2006, 06:49 PM
Elisabeth Sladen is staring in her own spinoff series "The Sarah Jane Adventures" in 2007.

capncnut
14-Oct-2006, 06:54 PM
But being an older fan...

You can't beat the old days of Dr Who! I started watching way back in 1977 at the grand ol' age of 4, towards the end of the Sarah Jane era so it was especially cool for me to see that episode earlier this year. Now that I've matured (very minimally) I find myself being drawn to the earlier works of William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. I watched a story from 1969 the other day called 'The Seeds Of Death' and was blown away by the creepiness of the Ice Warriors voices! I do hope Russell T. Davies will get around to re-hashing these old adversaries because I still think those monsters have life left in them. As for the new series, just wait until the finale - incredible!

As for the Master, Delgado is god! If they were to revive him now, I think Gary Oldman would be the only way to go.

Danny
14-Oct-2006, 09:49 PM
is this only just reaching you shores in two months the chistmas biride special is due to air and we got torch wood in less than two weeks.

and year they should bring back the master i thought form the prievew that anthony head was him, he should have been damn it!:D

Kaos
14-Oct-2006, 11:51 PM
Moving this thread to the Media discussion section.

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2006, 11:10 AM
hehehe, for a change the Americans are getting something late, this time it's something we made too :smug bastard grin: ... I'm very much into the new Doc's, and I'm diggin' the vibe of the newest Doctor (you know, the guy who looks a little like a taller version of Richard Hammond)...*forgets actor's real name, brain farts and leaks from ears*...

It's great when something old and tired out after a long run can get resurrected with great success - and - not filmed in London, blimey!

capncnut
15-Oct-2006, 08:53 PM
Tennant's okay (the actor I mean) but I've always thought of the Doctor as an old boy. I heard that the BBC once toyed with the idea of having a female Doctor. Mmm.

kortick
16-Oct-2006, 01:27 AM
yeah some of the old troughton stories
and the hartnell ones were really good

i am a huge fan of dr who
needless to say

i fell colin baker was robbed as the doc

and that peter davidson should have stayed another year

tom baker never got along with john nathan turner
otherwise it is unlikely he would have left the series

giles as the master would be cool

but watching delgado in the daemons is classic
and his pairing with the daleks in
frontier in space was classic

the novels that were put out had some great stories in them too

as far as sarah jane goes
avoid k9 and company
even though it was great to see the return of sarah
the show was too bad for words

and yes props to you english people for producing dr who
which is by far one of the best tv serials ever

another guilty pleasure is
are you being served....

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 04:18 AM
i feel colin baker was robbed as the doc

I agree but his costume was S**T man!

Danny
16-Oct-2006, 04:55 AM
yeah but ecclestons costume was just lazy.:p

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 05:32 AM
and was replaced by leela

Me got a Louise Jameson autograph on a pure sexy photo, man.

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2006, 10:15 AM
Probably partly to do with the BBC softening their stiff upper lip "Queen's English" roots, hence Eccleston's Mancunian Doctor ... who I always found a little bit too intense - all down to Eccleston appear to be a right hard bastard in anything he does.

Tennant goes back a little to a "new" 'old boy' in a way, pin-stripe suit and lah-dee-dah coat - but then he's modern, so it's hair gel and snazzy sneakers as well as a healthy dose of cheeky charm.

I used to watch Dr Who back in the day when I was a kid, the Daleks were always my favourite. Watched many of the Dr Who's when they had a late 80s/early 90s rerun of most of them, so I caught up...

_liam_
17-Oct-2006, 02:17 PM
been a big doctor who fan for about 12 years! the new series kicked arse, especially the last two episodes, real wish fulfillment stuff, you always wondered what it would be like with a bit of money, they did it justice.

wayzim - sarah jane left in the story "the hand of fear", which is out now on region 2 dvd, well worth getting, 3 of the 4 episodes are brilliant

its confirmed the ice warriors are coming back next year...

the torchwood spinoff starts this sunday, cant wait to see what it's like, advert has a couple cool monsters and a partially converted cyberman zapping someone...kewl.

capncnut
17-Oct-2006, 10:13 PM
its confirmed the ice warriors are coming back next year...

Sssssssss.....

_liam_
18-Oct-2006, 03:36 PM
"what isssss that?!...givvvvve it to mee at onccccccccce."

nurse...the pills