PDA

View Full Version : House of 1000 Corpses

Neil
15-Mar-2006, 02:18 PM
What a lack-lustre attempt! Blatant plagiarism, and poorly done!

erisi236
15-Mar-2006, 02:19 PM
well, it was rob zombies first film. :)

Mike
15-Mar-2006, 02:51 PM
It was a poorly done film, even for a first attempt, thankfully Devil's rejects was a lot better. Although still not a great film, it was ok none the less.

axlish
15-Mar-2006, 03:00 PM
Loved both films. Trashy fun.

bassman
15-Mar-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of "House of 1000 Corpses". I really dig "The Devil's Rejects", though.

I think Zombie really learned from "House" and he's only going to get better.
"The Devil's Rejects" would probably be one of my top five favorite films of last year...good flick.

Adrenochrome
15-Mar-2006, 05:01 PM
Devil's Rejects is MUCH better. I do enjoy House tho.

Burbank
15-Mar-2006, 05:18 PM

I didn't like it, but wouldn't go that far. I don' t think it was a case of plagiarism but homaging (spelling?).

Adrenochrome
15-Mar-2006, 05:43 PM

OK, I'll bite....what about that film do you consider "Blatant plagiarism"? In today's world of rip-off remakes, that's a strong accusation.

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2006, 05:48 PM
Plagiarism? Nah, homage-overdrive? Yeh.

I really loved House, it's a horror movie for horror fans by a horror fan. Also, it was made back in what, 2000, but didn't get a release until 3 years later, The Devil's Rejects came a couple of years after House was released - and trust, Devil's Rejects is much better than H1000C - and I personally really loved House, yes it's very homage-happy ... but that's usually what happens with the first film from a director - same thing with Cabin Fever (which I also really enjoyed).

But definately check out Devil's Rejects. Rob Zombie takes no more than 'texture' inspiration from his favourite road movies. TDR has a very, very different feel. Whereas House had a mixture of old school music with some of Zombie's own tracks - TDR goes straight down a very dusty, road movie loving 1970s road. The script is much better, the acting is better, the direction and cinematography is much better - it's a great flick - you should definately check it out.

Not that I think you'd really need it, but always employ the golden rule - never expect anything from a flick.

Seriously, check out Devil's Rejects, it's good stuff.

Also - Rob Zombie is currently scripting his next horror movie, he hasn't said anything more than that. I can't wait to find out what it's going to be, I'd love to see a Rob Zombie zombie flick, going on the vibe of TDR...it'd be quite f*cked up. I'm also looking forward to hearing his new album which comes out soon, "Foxy Foxy" wasn't fantastic but "Let It All Bleed Out" was wicked.

tju1973
15-Mar-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah House may have been a "homage"-- read "rip off" of TCSM and others, but I liked it-- not the over the top cartoonish style, but it was definatly Rob...now Devil's Rejects-- I rate it in my personal top 5 list of all time favorites--

5)Devil's Rejects
4)Day of the Dead
3)the Hills Have Eyes (original)
2) Knightriders
and
#1 of all times goes to BOOGIE NIGHTS

Adrenochrome
15-Mar-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah House may have been a "homage"-- read "rip off" of TCSM and others, but I liked it-- not the over the top cartoonish style, but it was definatly Rob...now Devil's Rejects-- I rate it in my personal top 5 list of all time favorites--

5)Devil's Rejects
4)Day of the Dead
3)the Hills Have Eyes (original)
2) Knightriders
and
#1 of all times goes to BOOGIE NIGHTS

LOL - - BOOGIE NIGHTS

I have spewed liquid over ANOTHER keyboard!!!!

bassman
15-Mar-2006, 08:07 PM
Let's not forget the awesome score/soundtrack to "The Devil's Rejects".

Zombie made some very good choices for the soundtrack to his latest flick - None of which are his songs:)

You've got the badass opening with The Allman Brothers - "Midnight Rider"(great, great, great....nuff said) plus Three Dog Night - "Shambala", Buck Owens - "Satan's Got to Get Along Without Me", and of course the great choice for the final song...wait a minute....I don't know how to do that spoiler thing. Oh well, if you've seen it then you know what I'm talking about. Now I can't listen to that song without thinking of TDR. I can never forget the film now:) Great choices, indeed.

I was seriously surprised when I bought TDR and finished watching it. I'm really looking forward to Zombie's next effort because i'm sure it won't be a total let down. And I wouldn't be surprised if we ever see a dead(zombie) film from good ol' Rob Zombie.

And Minion, Let me know how his new cd turns out. I haven't been a big fan of Zombie's solo stuff but White Zombie was awesome - I've been eagerly awaiting a reunion tour.

glsjaw
16-Mar-2006, 12:34 AM
he has admitted to showing respect to other movies with doing corpses, dont get me wrong i truely dont like the movie at all but do have to give him mad props for the way he turned around his directing and came out with the masterpiece of rejects.
If you get a chance ya got to pick up the soundtrack

dogma789
16-Mar-2006, 01:12 AM
Post deleted.

Adrenochrome
16-Mar-2006, 11:55 AM
The scene form Corpses where Otis soots the sherrif in the head is nicely done. The long, drawn out crane scene.

Oh, dogma789, Manos ROCKS!!! Torgo for President!:D

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2006, 12:34 PM
Ooh yeh I'd forgotten about that long crane shot, I loved that bit. You're on the edge of your seat waiting for the shot to come and it's dragged out to excruciating lengths and when the shot finally comes it gives you a jolt. That's something with Rob Zombie, he knows how to put music and visuals together very well.

Well, he did direct a bunch of his own music videos anyway, but his use of music and visuals is especially good in TDR - the opening Allman Brothers track, the scene where they're captured and of course the final showdown at the end of the movie - superb, gets the hairs riding up on the back of your neck no problem.

TDR rocks!

Dobe Dobe
16-Mar-2006, 02:13 PM
House of 1000 Corpses is a lot better the second time, of course if the second time is AFTER watching The Devil's Rejects. For some reason seeing them in backwards order makes them better, I guess cause you learn to like the characters in the second one and then you don't just notice all the ripping off in the first one but you focus on the characters.

P.S. Dr. Satan is gay.

bassman
16-Mar-2006, 03:20 PM
P.S. Dr. Satan is gay.

I agree...Although I wouldn't use the word "gay". I just didn't like the character. Zombie made a good decision in editing Dr. Satan's only scene out of "The Devil's Rejects"(even though it was also the only scene with the lovely Rosario Dawson:eek: )...

Dobe Dobe
16-Mar-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree...Although I wouldn't use the word "gay". I just didn't like the character. Zombie made a good decision in editing Dr. Satan's only scene out of "The Devil's Rejects"(even though it was also the only scene with the lovely Rosario Dawson:eek: )...
Think of it this way: You lost Rosario but gained no Dr. Satan.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2006, 04:42 PM
I didn't mind Dr. Satan - he would have been really out-of-place in TDR though, so it was good to cut that scene out - still fun to watch it on the DVD, that's a LOTTA blood!

Also - isn't it f*cked up how Rob Zombie gets you liking these characters? They're serial killing rapists ... mind you, you don't see anyone actually rape anyone, it's really just implied or seen as a 'joke' in the character's heads...so it works, but treads a very fine line.

Two great movies I say.

Adrenochrome
16-Mar-2006, 04:45 PM
Sheri Moon can rape me any day! (and giggle while she does it)

bassman
16-Mar-2006, 04:47 PM
T
hey're serial killing rapists ... mind you, you don't see anyone actually rape anyone, it's really just implied or seen as a 'joke' in the character's heads...so it works, but treads a very fine line.

Have you forgotten Otis and the lady in the motel room?:p

Sheri Moon can rape me any day! (and giggle while she does it)

No joke, man. She's smoking hot...

Dobe Dobe
16-Mar-2006, 04:57 PM
Serial killer, rapist people in movies are okay to root for. Especially in horror films. When you root for them in real life is where the problem starts.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeh I know - despite the motel room goings on (which is probably the worst sexual assault type stuff you see them committing), you still end up rooting for them. I was like "wtf" when I realised she was the woman with 3 nipples in Mallrats, lol.

And yes...Sheri Moon can rape me too, haha!

bassman
16-Mar-2006, 05:06 PM
I was like "wtf" when I realised she was the woman with 3 nipples in Mallrats, lol.

She's Miss Ivannah??? I had no idea. I knew she was in "License to Kill" but that was about it...

Neil
16-Mar-2006, 07:37 PM
The scene form Corpses where Otis soots the sherrif in the head is nicely done. The long, drawn out crane scene.

Oh, dogma789, Manos ROCKS!!! Torgo for President!:D

I actually got bored watching that scene and thought maybe my DVD had locked up! Just seemed to try tooo hard (IMHO)...

axlish
16-Mar-2006, 07:57 PM
I actually got bored watching that scene and thought maybe my DVD had locked up! Just seemed to try tooo hard (IMHO)...

That scene made me want to go get the soundtrack. I loved that yodeling music.

DjfunkmasterG
16-Mar-2006, 08:07 PM
Let's not forget the awesome score/soundtrack to "The Devil's Rejects".

Zombie made some very good choices for the soundtrack to his latest flick - None of which are his songs:)

YES! The soundtrack from TDR kicked a lot of ass! That soundtrack and the use of songs in the film was executed perfectly. That film has the single best use of Freebird I have seen yet! :evil:

Adrenochrome
16-Mar-2006, 08:09 PM
YES! The soundtrack from TDR kicked a lot of ass! That soundtrack and the use of songs in the film was executed perfectly. That film has the single best use of Freebird I have seen yet! :evil:

It's the only time I've EVER seen (or heard) Freebird used in a good way.

jdog
17-Mar-2006, 05:43 AM
for me house of 1000 corpses was okay. a few parts in it that made me wonder what the hell he was thinking, but not to bad.
TDR however i feel is a much better film. this film actually has a story line and a good pace.
plus it was great to see Ken Foree back on the big screen again.

Zombielord69
18-Mar-2006, 08:42 AM
damn did no one here see zombie perform one of his new songs called american witch on leno? it ruled! by the way his new cd is ok...it has about 3 back to roots sound to zombie and a bunch of new **** he is trying out like accoustic songs. there is even a song called the devils rejects on it.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2006, 12:47 PM
I heard the album for the first time the other day and I have to say I love it. I kinda see it like this...

Educated Horses is to Sinister Urge what The Devil's Rejects was to House of 1000 Corpses.

Adrenochrome
19-Mar-2006, 02:37 PM
damn did no one here see zombie perform one of his new songs called american witch on leno? it ruled! by the way his new cd is ok...it has about 3 back to roots sound to zombie and a bunch of new **** he is trying out like accoustic songs. there is even a song called the devils rejects on it.

He'll be here in Kansas city April 15.

HLS
19-Mar-2006, 08:00 PM
It reminded me of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre too much. I thought it was not original for the most part other than the clown part in the beginning and the end. But for some reason I liked it on the big screen. I did not like the sequel that much. The ending I did not like. But all in all Rob is a good movie maker