PDA

View Full Version : Well I am in RACINE, WI for the film Fest

DjfunkmasterG
20-Oct-2006, 11:30 AM
I left Gaithersburg, MD at 7:49pm and arrived here at 5:49am the trip took 11 hours (This area is one hour behind Maryland.) I could have doneit in 10.5 but I stopped at arest area for 30 minutes to take a walk, my back was killing me.

Anyway I brought my camera with me and I will take some pics and upload them throughout the day.

Cheers

Dj

MinionZombie
20-Oct-2006, 12:05 PM
Kick ass man, enjoy the film fest, I look forward to seeing pics.

Bunker65
20-Oct-2006, 01:07 PM
Very cool :cool:. Good luck with the festival !!! :D

DjfunkmasterG
20-Oct-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks Guys,

So far it is slow, but it only started 30 minutes ago 2:00pm

So we will see what happens, although everyone that has stopped by the table said they are here to see DEADLANDS. :D

MinionZombie
20-Oct-2006, 06:39 PM
although everyone that has stopped by the table said they are here to see DEADLANDS.

Awesome, good luck with the rest of the fest. :cool: And dare I add ... w00t!

axlish
20-Oct-2006, 06:44 PM
Send some business my way DJ :)

Have a great time and good luck with Deadlands at ICFLM!

DjfunkmasterG
20-Oct-2006, 09:26 PM
I have your trailer, and EATING Habits trailer playing on a DVD at my table. I told everyone that your film screens tomorrow. I covered ya. :D

the 9:00 show was a huge success. The Q&A lasted 45 minutes and I felt like I was teaching a class on low budget filmmaking.

One more showing to go, 4:00pm tomorrow

Fulcifan91
21-Oct-2006, 04:33 PM
Very cool. Thanks a bunch for all of the eating habits plugs you've been putting on, especially on the DVD's whatnot. :D

MinionZombie
21-Oct-2006, 05:45 PM
Indeed, have some fresh thumbs :thumbsup: for the support you show other filmmakers, and mucho appreciente for the shout outs! :cool:

Danny
21-Oct-2006, 05:49 PM
I have your trailer, and EATING Habits trailer playing on a DVD at my table. I told everyone that your film screens tomorrow. I covered ya. :D

now you know garys one cool son of a b'yatch for doing something like that some indie directors are whiny little bitches and hate competition but its great to see people can still try to help each other out, if they still did rep thats worth some i reckon.:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
22-Oct-2006, 01:50 AM
Hey Guys, pics from the fest. i originally forgot to bring my camera card so I wasn't going to do pics. But i went to office Depot and bought a 256mb card and took some pics. Enjoy.

http://www.putfile.com/djfunkmasterg/images/39579

capncnut
22-Oct-2006, 04:43 AM
Wow, Lloyd Kaufmann is a legend! Wait, come to think of it so is Eugene from 'Grease'! Nice pics, man.

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2006, 10:46 AM
Great pics there Dj, damn, "PICT0136" is hot. :)

lol, I was wondering how you were on HPOTD and at the fest, but silly me - a laptop - hehe, sitting around at the fest on the forum, niiiiice. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
22-Oct-2006, 01:15 PM
Great pics there Dj, damn, "PICT0136" is hot. :)

lol, I was wondering how you were on HPOTD and at the fest, but silly me - a laptop - hehe, sitting around at the fest on the forum, niiiiice. :cool:

#136, I don't know her name, but her and her boyfriend make these etch horror ICON glasses. They offered to do one for deadlands in trade for a DVD... So I said ok. I hope to get the glass today when I show up.

The fest hasn't been that great. It is the first year for it, and the turn out was less that stellar. I mean yesterday was better than friday but the promoters didn't do a very good job advertising the festival. The ran ad's on sports talk radio...but never covered the top 40 or hip hop stations in milwaukee or Chicago. That was Mistake #1.

Mistake #2, they flew in everyone on the guest list and then didn't have anough $$$$ to pay their hotel bills and someone was actually coming around asking to take up a collection to help them out.

Mistake #3, they misplaced films. Scott Goldberg's the Day they Came Back never played. A Film called Tagged was MIA, and they were going to re-run it again, so I went around a told everyone. Then we get downstairs and they found the misplaced DVD so everyone ended up watching tagged.

The awards ceremony never took place. Again no $$$. They walked around and handed out the awards during Lloyd Kaufman's Master class. So everyone that was in the class has no clue whom won. My film screened during Lloyd's class which kill my attendance a bit (I had 35 people as opposed to possibly 70-80).

One thing I will say about RACINE, WI. As I was driving through the town the only thing missing was the newspaper that flips up and says "The Dead Walk" It is so creepy here. The place has no industry left because it all moved out. Big companies packed up and moved to Mexico or somewhere else overseas, it would be the perfect place to film a dead flick.

I actually was going to talk to the people in charge of that and started, and they were ready to promise the world for $$$$ up front. I was like 1st, that would never happen, especially without a written contract and a lawyer on my end going over said contract.

2nd, I am only just starting pre pre-production and one of the people I want in the movie isn't even here yet and until I talk to her (Debbie Rochon) I am not making any deals, and I don't plan on filming anything until 2008.

They spent a lot of money, and nothing panned out. it was piss poor planning. The cool thing about the entire festival was meeting the other filmmakers. Some guys were looking for some knowledge others wanted to trade films so we all just drank, smoked, and shot the breeze about our trials and tribulations. The guys making the film HOT ROD ZOMBIES threw an after party in their room at the Radisson hotel. I don't know who went because by 10:00 I was in a lot of pain and decided to just get trashed in my hotel room and stayed put.

I think at sat at my table for 20 minutes the whole day because I was just networking with everyone, and there were so many cool filmmakers here. The guys whom had the 6 minute short BAIT (which won for best horror film) were cool as hell. the director broke his toe so they were taking digital photos of it. We just laughed and joked around.

The vendor's had it the roughest. Some of them made dick, but one guy liked DEADLANDS and bought 20 copies from me for his store I cut a break on the price and signed every disc.

Now the people whom came to the festival were other people hoping to make their own movie. this one group was awesome I talked with them for 30 minutes and told them everything I knew and said just practice and see what happens. Hopefully they do something because they had a great idea for a horror flick.

People who went to Lloyd's class were a little disappointed because all they did was show "Make your own damn movie the DVD" I think people expected Lloyd to talk and tell the stories. Fred Olen Ray's classes were much better.

All in all this could have been a huge disaster, and a waste of my time but I met so many great people and we just talked laughed and had a blast so it helped a lot. Anyway, today is the last day and I am heading home. I have a meeting with Debbie in about 90 minutes to talk about Deadlands 2 and then off to the fest for the last day. Then back in the car for an 11 hour trip home.

Dj

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2006, 01:54 PM
Dang, sorry to hear it was botched together by some daft organisers, but cool you've been networking and hanging out with some cool people. Good luck for the final day. :D

axlish
22-Oct-2006, 04:03 PM
I'd be lying if I thought that these new film fests were going to go off without a hitch. The keyword here is NEW. More of these genre film fests are popping up all the time, and that is the important thing. I've seen massive conventions F up, so I'll forgive a first time film fest in the middle of nowhere.

Gary, any word if Season actually screened?

DjfunkmasterG
22-Oct-2006, 04:57 PM
Yep, it screened. I went in to see it start and then I went back to my table. Plus i have been playing your trailer and the Eating Habits trailer all weekend.

Cody
22-Oct-2006, 05:13 PM
this thread looks promising

Danny
22-Oct-2006, 10:21 PM
holy crap that sounds botched, try out for fright fest in london they do it right down there.

and its rare to hear me say something nice about london cus my uncle lives there and whenever i go i hte it, but thats beside the point, though i believe i have sugested fright fest once before.

capncnut
23-Oct-2006, 06:18 AM
and its rare to hear me say something nice about london cus my uncle lives there and whenever i go i hte it, but thats beside the point...

Mmm... :rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Oct-2006, 08:17 PM
Well I made it home, had to stop on the Ohio Turnpike and take a 4 hour nap. So I didn't beat my driving time which was 11 hours to get there 18 hours to get home.

The fest... in a good term was a cluster **** of sorts, but, I did a lot of networking and was able to handle some movie business.

Numerous films didn't play, including both Scott Goldberg films.

Danny
24-Oct-2006, 01:33 AM
Mmm... :rockbrow:

not londoners, there nicer than the people around the derby area, but im talking about london the location, it sucks.

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2006, 10:37 AM
Aye I'm no fan of London either, everytime I've been there I hated it, ain't been there in about 5 years because it blows goats :lol:, I'm sure the people are fine enough and no worse than anywhere else. I do remember being stopped outside HMV by some street seller (we were in a group of 4) and he was selling some kinda Joss stick (sp?), it was a funny story, but I forget why, it just was. Anyway 2 of us (including me) got them for free and the others had to pay, haha.

capncnut
24-Oct-2006, 05:50 PM
I forgive you guys for dissing my manor but I can see why you would hate the place so much: a. The beggar problem "no f**k off! I 'aint giving you a nugget so you can stick it in your arm, you junkie slag!" b. The price of a good pint is f**king scandalous (up north I have paid much, much less). c. Getting from a to b is a total NIGHTMARE, public transport is p**s poor to be honest. Yeah, actually the more I think of it London does suck!

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2006, 05:57 PM
It's also greedy - why does everything have to be run out of fahkin' Lahndahn? Like the media industry, soooooooooooooo many jobs on Mandy, but 90% of them are in London *sigh*, not very diverse is it?

It's also got just too many damn people, it's all grey and horrible looking, Tony Blair and his cronies hang out there all the time, and *ugh* I just can't stand the place...

In terms of the media industry, it's like Los Angeles ... minus the glamour, balmy weather and the Playboy Mansion.

capncnut
24-Oct-2006, 06:06 PM
it's all grey and horrible looking...

Not in my yard so I'm quite lucky in that aspect. I live in one of the more 'posher' areas (I am far from posh, trust me) so it's kinda like wrapping a dog turd in a silk sheet!

Fulcifan91
24-Oct-2006, 06:50 PM
When I was younger i just asumed everyone form britain was from london. Haha :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2006, 08:49 PM
Fortunately you grew older and discovered the world was different to the movies ... Hollywood still hasn't grown up, so everyone from Britain comes from London, England :lol: ... and they're all evil ... with bad teeth ... and cockney accents ... and they're all wearing Union Jack t-shirts and emblazon the flag on everything around them ... :D, an accurate vision by Hollywood then, eh? :lol::p

DjfunkmasterG
24-Oct-2006, 09:42 PM
And you're from Scotland right?

:D

All kidding aside. All hollyweird ever focusses on is London, I guess they are trying to say England is a boring place outside of London. I have never been and probably never will be, but I know there is more to england than LONDON.

Fulcifan91
24-Oct-2006, 10:46 PM
Fortunately you grew older and discovered the world was different to the movies ... Hollywood still hasn't grown up, so everyone from Britain comes from London, England :lol: ... and they're all evil ... with bad teeth ... and cockney accents ... and they're all wearing Union Jack t-shirts and emblazon the flag on everything around them ... :D, an accurate vision by Hollywood then, eh? :lol::p

What about the tea? :D

MinionZombie
25-Oct-2006, 09:51 AM
Indeed, originally from Scotland - born and bred - but have been living in England for quite some time.

Fulci - indeed, I forgot to mention tea, that is indeed distinctly British, hehe. London is pretty boring, it's so overexposed, the rest of England is a varied and interesting place. I'm looking forward to seeing Hot Fuzz - a Lethal Weapon-ish action cop movie set in rural England (Tumbridge Wells - sp? I believe).