PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's Cell being adapted for big screen

zombie04
22-Oct-2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30469

Honestly I haven't read this book yet but I'm planning to after I finish the Dark Tower series. As for the screenwriters, they are kind of hit or miss, but I think they got more misses than hits. Personally I think Frank Darabont is the best person to adapt King for a movie script.

Cody
22-Oct-2006, 02:52 AM
hmmm need to see more developments before i make my call

Danny
22-Oct-2006, 02:52 AM
Honestly I haven't read this book yet but I'm planning to after I finish the Dark Tower series.

that was my exact post right there, im currently heading out tomorrow for the wizard and the glass volume of the dark tower A:becuase its a damn well written series and B: cus ove rehre CELL costs £18.99 which is over 35 bucks for one novel and that just aint worth it.

capncnut
22-Oct-2006, 04:52 AM
Eli Roth? Not so sure about that but yes, this could be a great film. Hope it's not too 'phoney'. Hehe, okay bad joke!

Dark Tower? I know of this series but not read them. I have got through most of Stephen King's work pretty much including the short stories. Is the series that good?

zombie04
22-Oct-2006, 03:17 PM
I've only read the first two, but the second was better than the first and from what I've heard they only get better.

AssassinFromHell
22-Oct-2006, 03:53 PM
Eli Roth? I lost faith in hearing that a while ago.

Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski? Problem Child was great. The sequels sucked. Agent Cody Banks was a disaster.

IT STINKS! :D

Neil
22-Oct-2006, 09:20 PM
Hope they improve the (somewhat typically) weak King ending...

Cody
22-Oct-2006, 10:09 PM
Agent Cody Banks was so cheesy with all those un-needed facial expressions

Danny
22-Oct-2006, 10:10 PM
Eli Roth? Not so sure about that but yes, this could be a great film. Hope it's not too 'phoney'. Hehe, okay bad joke!

Dark Tower? I know of this series but not read them. I have got through most of Stephen King's work pretty much including the short stories. Is the series that good?

ive read the first 3 and yeah they get better each time, the first is a western with a dash of fantasy, the second is kinda trippy with doors along a beach that lead into peoples minds but the 3rd is very post apocalyptic with cool little tidbits about the past like when they stop and see a mishapen bee hive with white bees that cant fly it really gives you a sense of "damn they screwed up bad huh?".

so far they dont seem completely on par with the rings books by tolkein (and i aint just a movie fanboy i read the rings storie, including silmarillion and all that when i was 9) but its a lot closer to tolkeins level of sheer wow factor than the harry potter books.

check em out there well worth it, i breezed through the first two in about 3 hours there damn hard to put down.;)

EDIT- but id recommend reading a few other king novels like salems lot and the stand first cus this ties most of kings universe together.

think the dark materials trilogy with stephen king thrown in the mix.

Chakobsa
22-Oct-2006, 11:25 PM
No. Really, why bother?The novel was terrible. And I don't mean in a good way.

On the strength of his previous outings as a "director", Eli Roth should be gently taken aside and told; "Repeat after me: would you like fries with that?"

Danny
22-Oct-2006, 11:52 PM
i just thought id mention that the novel, which is £18.99 in stores is on ebay for a single pound, even with shipping even amricans are gonna pay just 5 bucks for that, nw thats cheap, to bad i am legend is so damn expensive on there, though w.h.smith's stock i am legend all the time but has very few copys in the stores apparently.

capncnut
23-Oct-2006, 05:14 AM
i just thought id mention that the novel, which is £18.99 in stores is on ebay for a single pound, even with shipping even amricans are gonna pay just 5 bucks for that, nw thats cheap, to bad i am legend is so damn expensive on there, though w.h.smith's stock i am legend all the time but has very few copys in the stores apparently.

Picked up a secondhand copy of I Am Legend at a charity shop for 50p. :D

id recommend reading a few other king novels like salems lot and the stand first cus this ties most of kings universe together.

Salem's Lot is one of THE best books ever written by King, in fact by anyone. The characterisation in that book is second to none. Anyone who liked the half-baked (but enjoyable) tv mini-series with David Soul should read this immediately. You will not put it down...

Neil
23-Oct-2006, 08:05 AM
The Stand is an amazing read as well... Apart from the ending...

Danny
24-Oct-2006, 01:23 AM
well tehn both of you should read the dark tower cus theres some characters from dark tower, salem, and the stand which all intertwine, i anit ruining it but r.f is a clue of sorts, so i hear...:sneaky:

AssassinFromHell
24-Oct-2006, 02:52 AM
Hope they improve the (somewhat typically) weak King ending...

I was so angered by that. Its like...sooo, this sucks. Can you say, open door for sequel? :eek:

bassman
24-Oct-2006, 12:44 PM
I remember someone telling me that King doesn't even write his own books anymore. He uses "Ghost Writers" or something like that. Anyone else heard this?

As far as the movie goes....well, I haven't read the book, but that Roth fella can go f*ck himself.

Like Chakobsa said, "Would you like fries with that?":lol:

Dropper
24-Oct-2006, 12:59 PM
I remember someone telling me that King doesn't even write his own books anymore. He uses "Ghost Writers" or something like that. Anyone else heard this?

Never heard that myself, but I think that people may have said that because his writing over the last 10 years or so hasn't been his best (the Dark Tower series excepted).

Cell was a return to form in my opinion, however, the ending was weak (but he almost always leaves us with a bad (or just not good) ending.

Cell is a really good book. It could be a great movie.

I have high hopes for this one...

LouCipherr
24-Oct-2006, 01:09 PM
As usual, this movie will suck unless stephen king is involved in the making of the movie. This seems to be the case with all King movies. The ones he has a direct hand in making (Pet Semetary, The Shining mini-series, etc) always seem to turn out decent, but the ones adapted from his stories without his involvement (The Mangler, Night Shift, and so many others I can't count) always turn out to be turds.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one.

LC

Neil
24-Oct-2006, 01:51 PM
As usual, this movie will suck unless stephen king is involved in the making of the movie. This seems to be the case with all King movies. The ones he has a direct hand in making (Pet Semetary, The Shining mini-series, etc) always seem to turn out decent, but the ones adapted from his stories without his involvement (The Mangler, Night Shift, and so many others I can't count) always turn out to be turds.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one.

LC

Was he involved in "The Stand" as that turned out OK...

capncnut
24-Oct-2006, 04:39 PM
I personally found Cell to be one of the best King books written in quite some time. The film could be great but I'm not too happy with Eli Roth being at the helm. I thought Hostel sucked!

Danny
25-Oct-2006, 05:57 PM
just read cell, and i prefer david moodys hater, there both a lot alike but hater has a better ending.

LouCipherr
25-Oct-2006, 07:03 PM
Was he involved in "The Stand" as that turned out OK...

Yes, he wrote the teleplay for this and was also a producer. ;)

Danny
25-Oct-2006, 10:05 PM
i didnt like the stand's movie version i preffered the storm of the century.

LouCipherr
25-Oct-2006, 11:57 PM
The Stand was a better read than the movie, but they didn't do too bad with the movie. I think 8 hours was a bit much, but then again, it's a pretty lengthy book, so...

Storm of the Century - now that was a great movie if for one reason only: the ending. :elol: Typical Stephen King. :D

capncnut
26-Oct-2006, 08:12 PM
I saw the movie before I read it and was put off completely. I'm glad I did read it though, it's one of his best.

Danny
27-Oct-2006, 02:00 AM
anyone catch misery last night?, that was one of the better ones adapted to film i reckon.

capncnut
27-Oct-2006, 02:57 PM
Sure did and I totally agree with you man. Kathy Bates is awesome in Misery.

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2006, 03:27 PM
Kathy Bates was AWESOME in Misery, however, there's one thing I take issue with concerning the adaptation of the book to the movie.

Remember when she 'hobbles' him? She puts the block between his feet and breaks his ankles with the sledgehammer?

Well, in the book it didn't happen that way. She cuts off his foot with and cauterizes the wounds shut with a - get this - blowtorch! :lol:

What they did in the movie was effective, but it could've been one hell of a lot more graphic like the novel and I would've ate it up.

Still, a good adaptation of his book.

Adrenochrome
27-Oct-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd like to see Bag of Bones as a movie.
Cell would be ok, IF that Eli Roth guy wasn't involved.