PDA

View Full Version : Question for Spaced fans....

Adrenochrome
27-Oct-2006, 04:22 PM
First, let me say this....I LOVE SPACED!!!!!
In one (or two) of the episodes, you see a huge movie poster on the wall behind the sofa. It says "ZOMBIES" and in small print, it looks like it says "Dawn of the Dead" underneath. I'm not familiar with this poster at all (who knows why) - is this a UK poster only? (for the run of Dawn back in the 70's?) or what?
if anyone has a link to the full veiw, I'd appreciate it.
(my gal and I have watched both seasons and have severe pain from laughing so hard.)

bassman
27-Oct-2006, 05:36 PM
Anything like this one (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dzombies%2Bdawn%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bd ead%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26qp_p%3Dzombies%2Bdawn%2Bdead%26imgsz%3Dall%26f r%3Dyfp-t-501%26b%3D61&w=800&h=494&imgurl=www.irishfilmposters.com%2FZ%2Fphotos%2Fpho to2.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishfilmposters.com%2FZ%2Fp hotos%2Fphoto2.html&size=85.8kB&name=photo2.jpg&p=zombies+dawn+of+the+dead&type=jpeg&no=64&tt=3,679&oid=17d05c8ebe44cfde&ei=UTF-8)?

Adrenochrome
27-Oct-2006, 05:42 PM
Anything like this one (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dzombies%2Bdawn%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bd ead%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26qp_p%3Dzombies%2Bdawn%2Bdead%26imgsz%3Dall%26f r%3Dyfp-t-501%26b%3D61&w=800&h=494&imgurl=www.irishfilmposters.com%2FZ%2Fphotos%2Fpho to2.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishfilmposters.com%2FZ%2Fp hotos%2Fphoto2.html&size=85.8kB&name=photo2.jpg&p=zombies+dawn+of+the+dead&type=jpeg&no=64&tt=3,679&oid=17d05c8ebe44cfde&ei=UTF-8)?

That's it. :) Man, have you seen Spaced? I'm STILL pissing myself....

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2006, 06:11 PM
Ahhhhh Spaced - how I love it so.

The DVDs were soooooo worth it, the commentaries rocked my nuts. I've actually been through the commentaries twice they were so good, and I'll do them again sometime. The show is just pure genius.

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2006, 06:15 PM

That's exactly what came to my mind.

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2006, 07:58 PM
Ok, who over there across the pond can hook me up with these DVD's? I just wanna know where I can BUY the bastards. :lol: There's no where in the US to get 'em, and I need my Spaced fix!!

*kicks Adrenochrome in the shin for having Spaced when I don't*

:D :p

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2006, 08:13 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaced-Definitive-Collectors-Jessica-Stevenson/dp/B0002LXU6I/sr=8-1/qid=1161979843/ref=pd_ka_1/026-0009316-9267613?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

That's the definitive edition - 3 discs (3rd is the retrospective 90 minute documentary, which was rather good).

Yes, it's Amazon UK, but you can get it sent to America. Otherwise you'd have to eBay it I guess. The DVD is a must have, the extras are great.

Danny
27-Oct-2006, 08:34 PM
aye ive had that set for a few years now, well worth the 2 notes i payed for it.

watch till after the credits on the 3rd disc nd you'll see a little epilogue about tim and daisy, just in case you anitnoticed it before.:)

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2006, 08:46 PM
*runs off in a frantic sprint to amazon uk*

thanks, I'm on it. :D

Danny
27-Oct-2006, 08:59 PM
while your there look up big train and the most sick and twistest uk sketch show ever "jam", if youve seen it you'll understand.:dead:

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh fudge yeah, "Jam" is absolutely bizarre, really twisted, but highly recommended. If you get a l'il high when you watch that you're going to be bouncing off the walls, your brain just won't be able to take the weirdness.

Heck, I watched the whole series on DVD in a day and I just felt all weird and numb inside from the experience, it left me kinda speechless and a little bit freaked out ... and yet it's a comedy series! :eek:

Danny
28-Oct-2006, 01:34 AM
..one so twisted some americans may actually be disturbed by watching it.

LouCipherr
28-Oct-2006, 03:30 AM
That sounds like my kinda show. :lol: I'll look into it.

Danny
28-Oct-2006, 04:12 AM
here are some of the sketches, THOUGH I WARN YOU, the last one is the infamous "boiler baby" sketch which was deemed unsuitable to air before 3:00am, watch at your own risk.:dead:

HT1c-7MdVps

heres one of the openings
zp2JyFIiHTE

pvaxAJfaREo

PLko8pgZcKM

AND FINALLY! THE DARKEST OF DARK HUMOR!

y51GjYv48uA

im guessing you expected something a bit more tame from us brits?

_liam_
28-Oct-2006, 01:49 PM
the poster is the uk/euro dawn poster, edgar wright gave it to simon pegg for his birthday. i think it has a photo of them in real life stuck in the corner or something.

did you notice his kick ass evil dead 2 poster? back in th'day the technician at my college had it in his office, we were always trying to find ways to rob it. never did though...

something cool about those dvds is the reference-o-meter...some people say the references are a bit sledgehammer, but there are a few i didn't notice.

LouCipherr
30-Oct-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, my amazon.uk order is in as of this morning. Hopefully, in 6-10 days, I can get 'spaced' in more ways than one.

Did I just say that out loud? :D

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2006, 05:58 PM
Sweeeeeeeet, you're gonna love it, it's classic stuff. Never watched it baked, but I love it regardless.

LouCipherr
01-Nov-2006, 02:28 PM
Well see, that's the problem. If you were baked it'd be 100 times as funny. :lol: Then again, from what I understand, if you laughed much harder at it you might end up in the hospital. :lol:

Man, I can't wait 'till it gets here. I just got my shipping confirmation but it's gonna take 'till almost the end of next week for it to get here. ARGH!!! Damn Amazon UK for being in the UK! uhhh.. umm.. yeah

Did I just say something?

:D

Danny
01-Nov-2006, 04:38 PM
i guarantee you will sit down to watch ep one and watch every episode in one sitting.

Adrenochrome
01-Nov-2006, 04:43 PM
i guarantee you will sit down to watch ep one and watch every episode in one sitting.

yep. that's what happened to me and my gal. We had to force ourselves to put off watching season two for the next night.
We were in the "right frame of mind" and BAM!!! Hooked like a muh fuh!

LouCipherr
01-Nov-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, i'm pretty chuffed (:lol: 'MZ speak') about the DVD's getting here. Y'know, I went to AmazonUK and out of the 36 reviews for this box set on there, every single one of them was rated 10 stars! This must be one hell of a show over there in the UK. :D

Danny
01-Nov-2006, 04:52 PM
trust me when you live in a country that hasnt had a comedy that aint sexual inuendo since cheers it will stick with you for life.

seriously what is wrong with u.s and sictioms?!?, they can do drama so well so what the frigg happened?:p

_liam_
01-Nov-2006, 05:53 PM
US sitcoms? ah they aint dead yet, but i agree theyre in a state.
however - 3 words

curb. your. enthusiasm.

excellent show

also, i like my name is earl & scrubs - although i feel scrubs kinda cribs the style of spaced a bit, but that might just be me.

spaced is a candidate for best sitcom ever, although does anyone else think the first series is better?
i think it has more emotional impact (like the end of episode 6, that little monologue about happy endings, the music, "fancy a dance?", call me soppy, but it gets me dewy everytime), also i like the way the first series was shot, it has a kind of faded glow to it, it really recaptures the feel of a hungover english sunday morning, when the sky isn't blue or grey...just a queasy kinda white that makes you squint.

also "daisy"/jess stevenson turned up in a sketch on the secret policemans ball last night, with richard e grant, they forgot to fade her mike as she left the stage and you could hear her cackling as she left...lol.

i think one of the most heartwarming things about the show is that tim & daisy are spookily similar to simon & jess in real life, except less grumpy & kooky respectively.

FRIED GOLD

Danny
01-Nov-2006, 09:04 PM
ah yes earl and scrubs they make freinds look like crap, easily the best us comedys in at least a good ten years:)

MinionZombie
01-Nov-2006, 09:23 PM
Now I'll get cornholed for this probably, but I really like Friends. It's not clever and many of the jokes you can see from a mile off, but it's warm and fuzzy and non-offensive and not in the least bit challenging. It's like a cosy old blanket that makes you feel cheerier after a bad day.

In terms of sheer quality though, it's beaten like a sleeping corpse by the likes of My Name Is Earl and Scrubs (both excellent shows). And of course Spaced is just fantastic, it only hung around for 2 series (14 episodes), but it's just so spot on entertaining - but it's multi-layered, it's intelligent, it's emotional and it doesn't rely on cliches - it invents new things to reference and parody.

*fond sigh*

I might have to go through the whole 14 episodes again sometime soon, at the very least give the retrospective documentary a second run through.

As for which series I like best, 1 or 2? ... hmmm ... I really don't know, I like them all, I think series 2 is perhaps a little more dark on the emotional side of things towards the end, but the second series is when they've gotten into the vibe of the show. Liam - I know what you mean about that hazy whiteness of the first series, and have experienced that haziness many times before, hehe.

I don't think I could choose which I like best, they're both great, I pick both of them! :)

LouCipherr
01-Nov-2006, 10:57 PM
Now I'll get cornholed for this probably, but I really like Friends. It's not clever and many of the jokes you can see from a mile off, but it's warm and fuzzy and non-offensive and not in the least bit challenging. It's like a cosy old blanket that makes you feel cheerier after a bad day.

*in his best redneck back-woods hillbilly voice, preparing to cornhole MZ* "boy, you got a pretty mouth..." :p :D

dude, you did NOT just admit that you liked Friends in front of everyone, did you? Man, there should be a law against that. :lol: :lol:

MinionZombie
02-Nov-2006, 10:25 AM
lol, I'd better get my padlocked, steel-enforced britches on...hyuck...

Yes, I do enjoy Friends, it's easy going, doesn't require thought, Jennifer Aniston is proper fit (Cox for seasons 1 through 3, Kudrow likewise) and you know, it's just daft and easy on the soul after a hard day - or watching something rather disturbing on TV, like one of Channel 4 or 5's exploitative "look at this freak" documentaries...

LouCipherr
02-Nov-2006, 11:47 AM
::shakes his head::

Well, there ya have it folks. Brought to you first, right here on HPotD. MZ is a freak. Film at 11. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

I guess it's not so bad if it's just a "guilty pleasure" once in a while thing, but y'know, if you tell me you followed the entire series, I'm gonna have to put back on my redneck hillbilly overalls and teach you a lesson, boy! :lol:

MinionZombie
02-Nov-2006, 12:31 PM
Get them overalls on then bitch, cos I followed it from the very beginning and introduced my sister to it, ha! I also have every episode either downloaded or copied from my sister's DVDs. :lol:

Part of my obsession with having everything and being a completist I suppose, but so what, I like Friends. :D It's not my favourite show and it's certainly not the best sitcom there ever was, just a guilty pleasure that's been followed for 10 years. :lol:

And Jennifer Aniston is well fit. ;)

LouCipherr
02-Nov-2006, 12:54 PM
"Dear Zombie Man, could you please check on your creator and figure out what's wrong with him? He says he's a huge fan of the TV show 'Friends' and that is a sure sign of 'losing it' in my book." :lol:

I'm just razzin' ya... you just didn't seem like the "Friends" type for some reason. I guess ya learn something new every day. :D

<cough>FREAK!<cough>

:lol:

bassman
02-Nov-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm with you, MZ. It's not a favorite, but it's not that bad, either. The hot women don't hurt it very much.:D

I'm still waiting to see "Spaced":(

_liam_
02-Nov-2006, 03:41 PM
i've had to sit through many diplomatic viewings of friends due to girlfriend, and i'm also ashamed to admit it's alright, despite it's middle of the roadness and the fact that you would kill the smug git characters if you knew them(also, how the hell does that bunch of bums afford that HUGE manhattan apartment?!).

but then, dudes who were beaten and raped every day in japanese POW camps began to miss the beatings when they were released, so it's amazing what the body & brain can get used to...

frasier wins the 90s US sitcom war for me.

Have any of you guys seen "black books"? it's sort of a sister show to spaced with bill bailey, tamsin grieg and dylan moran. it's very good, has a lot of the same production team as spaced and was written by the dudes who did father ted (i think).

bassman
02-Nov-2006, 04:07 PM
frasier wins the 90s US sitcom war for me.

Married With Children:cool:

CivilDefense
02-Nov-2006, 05:13 PM

Wow.. Just.... wow...:kiss:

You dont follow Coronation Street do you?

Actually My nice warm blanet is pretty much any of the Michael Palin travelogues. I can pretty much watch them whenever, its like a bowl of chicken soup, or a super hot curry when you have a head cold.

Spaced is really quite good, the two (Simon and Nick) are just great together, they really are a good team. DANGER 50000 zombies! being one of the funnier things I have ever seen. The only comparable humor twosome in a britcom I can think of is Craig Charles and Chris Barrie.

LouCipherr
02-Nov-2006, 05:35 PM
Married With Children:cool:

DITTO! :D

_liam_
02-Nov-2006, 05:36 PM
hey don't diss the corrie, it's the most camp, lurid, OTT soap there is, i love it! (i'll get me cloak).

know what you mean about the frost/pegg combo, but i always liked rick mayall and ade edmondson from the young ones/bottom as well.

MinionZombie
02-Nov-2006, 07:01 PM
My DVD shelves hold a wide variety of films. You can skip from Saw to Singin' in the Rain to Sin City to Silk Stockings :lol:. I have many tastes, dear chum.

lol ... guess what's literally just started - FRIENDS DOUBLE BILL ON E4!!! :) Nice, Monica and Chandler sneaking around behind Joey's back...

To whoever said about Palin (too lazy to backtrack through the posts, lol), I've got a similar thing - Long Way Round - I absolutely love it, got it on special edition 3 disc DVD as well. It's just so heart-warming and interesting and you learn quite a lot about other cultures. It's a great series, if anybody hasn't seen it - DAMNIT, GO WATCH IT!

LoSTBoY
05-Nov-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry MZ, you have went a couple notches down on my 'cool mofo' list for liking friends. "Oh my God!!!!" AAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! I could admit I have genital herpes and still come off better than you right now.

Anyway, came here because I'm watching Spaced, thanks to Andreno for bringing it up and making me d/l it. :)

I remember it when it was first shown on tv, but I only caught a few episodes and was too busy getting wasted or something to bother with it.

I was going to post when I watched both series. but I have to post now as I'm half way through series 2 episode 6 Dissolution. I think I collapsed a lung when the Prisoner cell block H theme tune came on. :lol:

Right, thats out the way, back to wtching Spaced.

P.S: MZ, Ghey! :p

Adrenochrome
05-Nov-2006, 03:11 AM
Sorry MZ, you have went a couple notches down on my 'cool mofo' list for liking friends. "Oh my God!!!!" AAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! I could admit I have genital herpes and still come off better than you right now.

Anyway, came here because I'm watching Spaced, thanks to Andreno for bringing it up and making me d/l it. :)

I remember it when it was first shown on tv, but I only caught a few episodes and was too busy getting wasted or something to bother with it.

I was going to post when I watched both series. but I have to post now as I'm half way through series 2 episode 6 Dissolution. I think I collapsed a lung when the Prisoner cell block H theme tune came on. :lol:

Right, thats out the way, back to wtching Spaced.

P.S: MZ, Ghey! :p

one of my favorite lines in the entire series is: "You've got paint on you."
I swear to you.... I have never laughed so hard while watching a TV series (Trailer Park Boys not included - Barfed a lung over those freaks!)....Spaced, tho.....Pure Comedic Genius!!!!
If American comedy hit the head like that,..........

Danny
05-Nov-2006, 04:37 AM
yeah if spaced s the best comedy of the last few years trailer park boys runs a close second:D

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2006, 11:35 AM
pfft, like I care. :D

Like I said, I'm a guy of many tastes and opinions, besides, everytime I watch Friends and Jennifer Aniston is on screen I'm more than distracted from the show over all. :lol:

Everybody's got a guilty pleasure, what's yours? :sneaky:

Adrenochrome
05-Nov-2006, 12:05 PM
Everybody's got a guilty pleasure, what's yours? :sneaky:

Auntie Mame (1958) - starring Rosalind Russell

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/66/234566_thumb.jpg

Danny
05-Nov-2006, 12:58 PM
mines orange lucozade, i ****ing love the stuff:lol:

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2006, 01:03 PM
Lucozade isn't a guilty pleasure, ya nuttah! :lol:

Your real guilty pleasure must be good if you say your "public" G.P. is Lucozade, hahaha!

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 04:10 PM
probably old doctor who dvds and cigarettes.

oh and coronation street!

capncnut
05-Nov-2006, 06:30 PM
probably old doctor who dvds and cigarettes.

Now thats my kind of vice... and J & B whiskey!

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 06:36 PM
bushmills too :cool:

i'll definitely be a red nosed, toothless whiskey drinker in my old age, hehe.

LouCipherr
06-Nov-2006, 01:54 PM
My Spaced box set came this weekend. WOOHOO!!! :lol:

Too bad I didn't have time to watch the whole thing this weekend (still busting apart my basement putting in a new bathroom and such), but my wife was so hooked after watching the first episode that we had to watch 5 more after it in a row! :lol:

Spaced is a fantastic show!! I'm glad you guys finally pointed me in the right direction to pick this up, 'cause it's well worth every cent. :D The US couldn't make a show like this if they tried. :lol:

Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation.

...and just FYI, Amazon.uk got me my order in 7 days. Not too shabby when coming from across the pond! ;)

bassman
06-Nov-2006, 02:01 PM
Are the discs R1, Lou?

Danny
06-Nov-2006, 04:18 PM
told ya, you cant just watch one ep on its own, my favs from disc one are clubbing and "art"...i think thats the one with the little britain guy in.

_liam_
06-Nov-2006, 05:15 PM
yeah and his little sidekick hoover is paul kaye of denis pennis/it's all gone pete tong fame.

a v well cast show!

LouCipherr
06-Nov-2006, 07:21 PM
Are the discs R1, Lou?

bassman - nope, they're R2 and in PAL format. The PAL format didn't bother me 'cause I have a player that will do NTSC and PAL - but the region coding was another story... nothing DVD Shrink and AnyDVD wouldn't take care of though. :elol:

I used those two programs, copied the discs to my HD, burned on my own media, and had a Region Free, PAL format Spaced Box set. :D

bassman
06-Nov-2006, 08:17 PM
Crap.

Why, oh why haven't they released the series over here yet?!?!?

I'll be an old man before I get the chance to see them. You would think they would get that going after Shaun was a pretty big success over here. Bah....waiting sucks.

_liam_
06-Nov-2006, 08:55 PM
well, we may have the dvds here, but the the first series was repeated once, and the second series was only ever shown the one time back in 2001, i too would have thought they might have cashed in on shaun there...

Danny
07-Nov-2006, 06:13 AM
acutally there shown on paramount comedy all the time, usually around the same time trailer park boys is on.

LouCipherr
07-Nov-2006, 11:40 AM
Hmm, I've never seen it on here in the states, but then again, I haven't been looking for it as I figured it was just a show they only showed "across the pond". ;)

It does suck it's not available on R1 discs. I hate having to "get around" the region coding, but it's worth the work (and all I really do is run two programs and press 3 buttons), but still, a R1 US release would've been nice.

Trust me, i've looked EVERYWHERE for a US retailer of this box set - nada, nothin', zip, zilch. Only Amazon UK had it (and other retailers in the UK) and I only found it there 'cause of MZ (thanks you bastard, now i'm hooked on another show.. :lol:). :D

LC

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 12:31 PM
:elol:

Muahahahaaaaaaaaa, I'm as evil and maniacal as your avatar looks. :D

Glad you're digging the show, Spaced is indeed a work of genius, and I find it quite strange they didn't leap on the Shaun bandwagon and release it over there as I'm sure it would have done very well indeed, even if part of the potential audience are the sort of people who just go "awww, ain't it quaint and English..." :eek: - some of the audience might say that in America I would have thought, you guys over there certainly like a British accent. :)

LouCipherr
07-Nov-2006, 03:50 PM
Hell yes we love that accent! :lol:

Y"know what's weird? it took me to get through the first episode to get "in line" with the british humor. After that, the wife and I laughed through almost all 4 of the other episodes we watched (and "Pete" - don't know his real name - made an appearance a bit later in the episodes we were watching! w00t! :lol:). The show, once you get your brain wrapped around the humor - which is much different than it is here in the US - is some hilarious sh*t!!

Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction to find this, and damn you for getting me hooked on another show.. :lol: that's ok, at least it's a GOOD show and not some reality TV bullsh*t. ;)

LC

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2006, 06:00 PM
lol, you're welcome for pointing you in the right direction.

Indeed, British humour is very different to American humour - certainly in the realm of a "sitcom" anyway, heck, even though Spaced is kinda classed as a sitcom, it's not very sitcom-ish. Single camera, no laugh track, not filmed "live" and only ran for 14 episodes.

The guy played by "Pete" from Shaun is played by Peter "Darth Maul's voice" Serofinowicz (sp?).

I guess, in general, American humour - particularly in sitcoms - goes for the more stereotypical, 'obvious' road - as in you can see the jokes coming from a mile off in some cases and you expect certain things to happen. It's also a bit more lampooned for the audience.

British humour goes for originality within the genre, rather than sticking to what the genre is stereotypically like. They go for the unseen joke, they show you the unexpected, they riff on the English language, they freeform the ideas.

I was thinking about it in another way recently as well:

American and British sitcoms take the same 'amount' of humour clay from a pile - now, the American sitcom will stretch this one ball over 200+ episodes. The British sitcom will liberally hand it around a mere 12 or 14 (certainly less than 50 in most cases).

Not a watertight theory or explanation, but a theory nonetheless.

Adrenochrome
07-Nov-2006, 10:31 PM
oh yes!! That's Peeeeeeeeeeeeeete Serafinowicz!
I knew you'd get into these shows Lou!
Now, I've recently been introduced to another British series called Father Ted. I've got season one - watched it - enjoyed it! Different style of humor than Pegg and Wright, but, well worth watching!
It's shown on BBC America according to my woman but I never knew about it - give that one a shot if you get a chance.
In season 3, they do a spoof of Night of the Living Dead, only it's old ladies climbing through the windows instead of zombies. Can't wait to see that in full!:D

_liam_
07-Nov-2006, 10:41 PM
oh dear, think i might have wittered about this before, but you need you some black books on dvd badly.

black books is written by the father ted team, and produced by the spaced team (referred to by the spaced crew as a "sister show")...it stars bill bailey (the legend), dylan moran (the one who gets ripped in half in shaun of the dead), and tamsin grieg (green wing, doctor who) - it's got a hell of a pedigree.

"why can't you take him seriously?"
"i cant...i just...cant...he's like a horse ...in a man costume"

Danny
08-Nov-2006, 07:48 AM
yeah, that AND father ted.

bassman
13-Jan-2007, 03:55 AM
I just had to say that I finally saw three episodes of "Spaced". It's finally airing on BBC America and I caught episodes 1, 13, and 14. I set my DVR to record them all. FUNNY stuff.:thumbsup:

Danny
13-Jan-2007, 05:43 PM
word byatch i lent em to a freind, who subsiquently leant em to 26 more so i finally got em back and had a good couch po-ta-to session re runnin' em, and damn its awesome, bring on hot-fuzz.

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2007, 06:24 PM
Damn straight bring on Hot Fuzz ... and Hellsing, that's one of the many reasons I don't lend sh*t to friends, unless I really trust the individual with my media. Once I lent Dare Devil to a friend and she kept the damn thing for months before I finally got it back, by which time she'd be in possession of it longer than I had - and I was the one who bought the f*ckin' thing!

I find Spaced to be the sort of show you have to watch completely through from episode 1 to episode 14. You can't really dive in and out for one episode ... although you can ... but I just feel it's a much more rewarding experience to occasionally have a Spaced sesh and run through them all chronologically.

bassman
17-Jan-2007, 01:25 PM
So I watched episode one again last night. Anyone have any idea how many movie references are in that episode?:lol:

Obviously the Matrix is one, but I also picked up on Goodfellas("as far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a Skateboarder"), Pulp Fiction, Scarface, Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, plus several others that I cant remember. I mean....is that not alot for a single 27 minute tv show???

It's all funny, though.

_liam_
17-Jan-2007, 04:41 PM
there is a hella lot of refs in the 2nd series, a lot less subtle than the ones in the first, but still hilarious. i think there's a subtitle option that tells you whenever one appears.

the most obscure one is when the dog gets snatched and tim says it got snagged by "a crocodile...or something", which is a reference to that x files episode where scully's dog is eaten by an alligator...lol...nice one guys.

the hot fuzz world premiere is gonna be at this tiny little cinema up the road from me, gonna try n blag it somehow ;)

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2007, 06:03 PM
Son of a bitch! I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz, they've been tickling my balls with teasers and vlogs for months now. :D

Indeed, on the DVD for Spaced there is a subtitle option that points out every single reference in the whole show. They come thick and fast, and while you see so many, you always miss a bundle too.

Spaced is a fantastic show, genius ... nay ... FRIED GOLD! :cool:

bassman
17-Jan-2007, 06:10 PM
Spaced is a fantastic show, genius ... nay ... FRIED GOLD! :cool:

And there's STILL no way to get it over here in the states. BBC America just started showing it in order, so i've just got my DVR set to record them all. The bad part is that it only comes on once every weekend. It's going to take a while....

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2007, 06:17 PM
You should import the DVD like LouCipherr did. Sure it's PAL, but you've surely got a Region All player, right?

bassman
17-Jan-2007, 06:24 PM
You should import the DVD like LouCipherr did. Sure it's PAL, but you've surely got a Region All player, right?

Negative.

I've always bought my DVDs around here.

Then again, I'm not really sure. How can I check?....

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2007, 06:27 PM
It'll say on the back of the DVD player itself, or you might find a 'handset hack' online which is basically the keycode the people in the factory use to set the region code of each player. I re-set mine to Region 0 so I can play all DVDs (the whole region code thing is retarded).

Otherwise, use your computer (there are ways to fudge that region checker too ... but obviously, I technically canny tell you) ... ahhhh ... the wonder of Google...

_liam_
17-Jan-2007, 06:29 PM
not sure if the spaced dvds are still available? i remember seein the 3 disc edition deleted & goin for 50 odd quid on amazon.

i know the first edition of series one on dvd doesnt have the reference subtitles.

Danny
17-Jan-2007, 09:48 PM
50 quid?!?! its only 9.99 at HMV.:eek:

_liam_
18-Jan-2007, 12:04 AM
lol o yeah, seems to have recovered now, well there was a time when it was deleted, momentarily at least, cos i remember seriously considering flogging mine when i was hard up, but deciding against it. shoulda done!