PDA

View Full Version : Hammer/Amicus horror movies

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 07:34 PM
heard someone mention these in passing on another thread, thought i'd see if you guys are into these movies.

been a big fan for years, favourites include;
plague of the zombies
the ghoul (1975)
satanic rites of dracula
scars of dracula
dracula; prince of darkness
horror of frankenstein
twins of evil
quatermass & the pit.
devil rides out

anyone else?

capncnut
05-Nov-2006, 09:39 PM
I pretty much love most of those but you forgot to put Countess Dracula on the list. I loved the Hammer tv series too and rate 'Charlie Boy' as the best one.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can put The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires on there as well. It deserves cult status for being a Hammer and Golden Harvest collaboration alone. :lol:

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 09:54 PM
ah both blatant classics too

countess dracula, a classic (comes bundled with twins of evil & vampire circus on region 2). the band cradle of filth did an album based around that bathory legend, even got ingrid pitt in to do some spoken word ("the glamour of hammer", hehe).

seven golden vampires is one of the craziest pieces of wish fulfillment ever. i couldnt believe what i was watching when i saw it and honestly wondered if i'd dreamed it the next day! as you say, hammer AND golden harvest...two of the best cult studios ever.

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 09:23 AM
What happened to Hammer Glamour? Wasn't Ingrid Pitt going to resurrect the Hammer legend with a series of new films?

Chakobsa
06-Nov-2006, 09:28 AM
heard someone mention these in passing on another thread, thought i'd see if you guys are into these movies.

been a big fan for years, favourites include;
plague of the zombies
the ghoul (1975)
satanic rites of dracula
scars of dracula
dracula; prince of darkness
horror of frankenstein
twins of evil
quatermass & the pit.
devil rides out

anyone else?

Those are all great, though I haven't seen most of 'em for years. I'm particularly fond of "The Devil Rides Out" I love all that schlocky satanist stuff, good ol' D. Wheatly. Btw, wasn't the adaptation of Wheatly's "To The Devil A Daughter" the last Hammer horror feature made?

capncnut
06-Nov-2006, 09:34 AM
Btw, wasn't the adaptation of Wheatly's "To The Devil A Daughter" the last Hammer horror feature made?

Certainly was Chak, 1976 if I'm not mistaken.

_liam_
06-Nov-2006, 02:25 PM
the devil rides out/to the devil a daughter are great, like all good heavy metal fans i love the whole cod-diabolism thing, also props to the casting crew for realising how evil charles gray is.

did you ever read any of wheatley's books? have to say i was a little taken aback by the casual anti-semitism!

anyone see "the beast must die"? that was a weird one, with the werewolf break towards the end so you'd have a bit of time to figure out who it was...lol

Mike70
06-Nov-2006, 07:50 PM
i have been collecting hammer films since i was a kid.

favs include:

the gorgon
the mummy
hound of the baskervilles
brides of dracula
curse of the werewolf
phantom of the opera

Chakobsa
06-Nov-2006, 07:52 PM
Certainly was Chak, 1976 if I'm not mistaken.
Ah, thought, so.:D

the devil rides out/to the devil a daughter are great, like all good heavy metal fans i love the whole cod-diabolism thing, also props to the casting crew for realising how evil charles gray is.

did you ever read any of wheatley's books? have to say i was a little taken aback by the casual anti-semitism!

anyone see "the beast must die"? that was a weird one, with the werewolf break towards the end so you'd have a bit of time to figure out who it was...lol
Yeah, I read Wheatley's black magic books years ago as any spotty young Black sabbath fan probably did!:D. You're right about the anti-semitism though,
black people got a rough time of it in those books as well, usually portrayed as a bunch of shiftless ne'er do wells intent on villainy.:rolleyes:. The books were of their time and casual racism of that sort was unfortunately common.

"The Beast Must Die", bunch of folk in a big house, one of whom is a werewolf, sort of a bastard hybrid of those annoying detective programmes;
"one of the people in this room is the killer/werewolf" and a strange blaxploitation werewolf thing. Is that the one?

_liam_
07-Nov-2006, 06:26 PM
lol yep that's the one, an english master hunter with a richard pryor style haircut & tache combo. also has charles gray in it.

Gouldy
07-Nov-2006, 06:52 PM
I brought A hammer Horror selection dvd box set for a project i was doing in media studies, and i have to say i love all the films. There were 5 in it which included:

The Devil Rides Out

The Horror of Frankenstein

Scars of Dracula

Lust For a Vampire

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb

_liam_
07-Nov-2006, 10:31 PM
i LOVE horror of frankenstein. definitely the best version of frankenstein story. great unrepentantly dark humour, love the way we end up rooting for a total git. the ending is also a shocker and made me slap my forehead in disbelief...

plus kate o mara was seriously hot back then.

capncnut
08-Nov-2006, 11:18 PM
plus kate o mara was seriously hot back then.

I was more of a Yutte Stensgaard fan myself. :sneaky:

Cody
09-Nov-2006, 08:41 PM
havent seen any of them, any 2 worth seeing?

_liam_
09-Nov-2006, 08:48 PM
horror of frankenstein and the devil rides out are probably good places to start with hammer horrors.

although some people argue "The wicker man" falls into the hammer/amicus category. i disagree.

Chakobsa
09-Nov-2006, 11:01 PM
I was more of a Yutte Stensgaard fan myself. :sneaky:
Yeah, I see what you mean, Cap'. She's a friendly looking lass.:D:sneaky:

capncnut
10-Nov-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean, Cap'. She's a friendly looking lass.

She's a fit little thang that's for sure. I don't know about friendly though, I reckon she'd tear a guy to shreds in the sack! :D

Chakobsa
10-Nov-2006, 12:21 AM
She's a fit little thang that's for sure. I don't know about friendly though, I reckon she'd tear a guy to shreds in the sack! :D
Hell, I'd take the risk.:D