PDA

View Full Version : Conan the Barbarian

EvilNed
07-Nov-2006, 03:54 PM
I just watched this old sword-and-sorcery flick for the first time and I have to say I really like it. It's cheesy, it's corny and it's so totally 80s. But it's also so damn cool!

I mean, first of all the action is pretty neat, with lots of gore and guts. Second, the music is nice. Really nice, actually, some of the best film score I've ever heard. Thirdly, the imagery and editing of the film is just superb. Oscar worthy, I dare say! It's so clear, yet telling multiple layers of the same story in one shot. The part where Conan is walking up the stairs in the background and the guard is in the foreground, foreshadowing upcoming danger, is great.

Man, oh man. There's just something special about it that I really like. The swords are a bit ridiculously big, but they're still cool. Arnold swinging his two handed monster sword is just pure gold.

Terran
07-Nov-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah man its a classic.....

Not so much the second one....

The first one though is sooo awsome...I downloaded most of the soundtrack....Basil Poledouris did a great job....

Conan's dad's line at the begining of the movie was a great set up for the brutal killings....Imagine what that would do to a kids mind...

I love watching that movie drunk....

zombie04
07-Nov-2006, 06:10 PM
It's a great movie, too bad you can't say the same about Conan the Destroyer though. That was just a quick cash-in movie which could've been great if they actually tried. Either way the first one is great and I enjoy watching it whenever I get the chance.

_liam_
07-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM
stone cold classic. vintage arnie. yep, the 2nd is crap, red sonja is worse...

there's a legend that he-man came from this movie, cos they made toys to tie in with conan, and then realised it wasnt a kid's film, so they repackaged it..

Chakobsa
07-Nov-2006, 08:46 PM
No doubt about it, it's a great film. It's one of those that you'll watch again and again, it's got everything going for it; great music, great sets, great story and characters. It also deftly exploits/explores the archetype of the hero with a depth that not many other "heroic" films manage.

Eyebiter
07-Nov-2006, 09:17 PM
John Milius directed Conan the Barbarian.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0587518/

He has written great screenplays (Jeremiah Johnson, Magnum Force, Apocalypse Now, Farewell to the King, Clear and Present Danger) and directed some excellent action movies (Conan, Red Dawn, Flight of the Intruder).

Neil
07-Nov-2006, 09:23 PM
There's been talk of King Conan for a long time now...

zombie04
07-Nov-2006, 09:38 PM
it's got everything going for it; great music, great sets, great story and characters. It also deftly exploits/explores the archetype of the hero with a depth that not many other "heroic" films manage.

you forgot James Earl Jones.

Terran
08-Nov-2006, 02:51 PM
There's been talk of King Conan for a long time now...

Yeah but I thought talk of that got killed with his election successes...

G00SE
08-Nov-2006, 02:58 PM
I just watched this movie last night... the original ... the second one is kinda lame though..

Zombie-A-GoGo
08-Nov-2006, 03:05 PM
The very best Conan line is when he's asked what is best in life:

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

It's like damn, Conan! That's harsh!

coma
08-Nov-2006, 03:20 PM
The very best Conan line is when he's asked what is best in life:

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

It's like damn, Conan! That's harsh!
Not only is it a great line, they delivery is excellent!
That and Terminator are arnold best.
Hey Arnold, Stick to Barbarians and Robots:)

Zombie-A-GoGo
08-Nov-2006, 03:24 PM
Not only is it a great line, they delivery is excellent!
That and Terminator are arnold best.
Hey Arnold, Stick to Barbarians and Robots:)

I'd add Total Recall to that as well. But that's probably it. ;)

coma
08-Nov-2006, 03:41 PM
I'd add Total Recall to that as well. But that's probably it. ;)
Yeah.
and I actually kinda liked....

twins.:eek:

_liam_
08-Nov-2006, 04:53 PM
ah cmon, be a man and admit almost all 80s arnold kicks arse.

commando, for example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zM_XrVbvdHI

watch this trailer. the bit where he says "WRONG" is beautiful.
ultimate archetypal arnie movie & action movie trailer.

coma
08-Nov-2006, 04:57 PM
ah cmon, be a man and admit almost all 80s arnold kicks arse.

commando, for example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zM_XrVbvdHI

watch this trailer. the bit where he says "WRONG" is beautiful.
ultimate archetypal arnie movie & action movie trailer.
I AM a man, beyotch!
I admitted to liking twins. Now that takes sack. Nobody likes that movie!

and I hated predator, raw deal and
commando.
In the 80s I kept thinking Why oh WHY do prople love this s**t?!?!

Now "fahck you ahs hole" is STILL hilarious

_liam_
08-Nov-2006, 06:17 PM
I AM a man, beyotch!

I hated predator, raw deal and
commando.

the oak would say;
zees two statements have nuzzink to do mit each udder, und kennot be recon-zyled, leettle man.

j/k ;) fair play on the homo-suspect 80s actioners like commando, can understand dislike of them - but predator?! how can you not like that?!

EvilNed
08-Nov-2006, 06:47 PM
You hate Predator? I love that film!

I was raised on Arnold 80's, so of course I relish the man. I just love all the stuff he does, even if it's crap. It's Arnold!

Predator is one of my alltime favourites.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah...."Predator" is the sh*t. One of Mctiernan's best.

Sadly....I've never seen "Conan....". I'll have to look for it.

Terran
08-Nov-2006, 07:24 PM

BLASPHEMER!

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 07:26 PM
Just never cared to.....

No one has ever told me anything about it except for the few of you on here.

_liam_
08-Nov-2006, 07:36 PM
the key to enjoying arnie flicks is

A) leave your brain at the door, dont take it seriously

B) don't imagine it's harry tasker (or whoever he's playing) fighting the baddies, imagine it's actually arnold. for me, this makes them all comedy masterworks.

take collateral damage, arnies family are killed by terrorists, so what does he do? start a new life? kick up a fuss in the media? drink himself to death? NO! he goes to colombia and KILLS THEM ALL. what else would arnie do?

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 08:59 PM
what else would arnie do?

Have a child with Danny Devito?:|

zombie04
08-Nov-2006, 09:04 PM

Remember when I said I'd kill you last?...I lied.

capncnut
08-Nov-2006, 11:33 PM

I wouldn't bother, you're not missing that much anyway (ducks for cover).

_liam_
09-Nov-2006, 05:59 PM
BLASPHEMER!!!

krom will have his vengeance!!!

http://www.arnocorps.com

Cody
09-Nov-2006, 08:27 PM
I thought this thread was about the talk show host...lol

capncnut
09-Nov-2006, 09:55 PM
I thought this thread was about the talk show host...lol

BWAAAHAAA!!! :lol:

radiokill
09-Nov-2006, 11:17 PM
who liked The Running Man?

_liam_
09-Nov-2006, 11:22 PM
me! i love those dystopian media satires they came out with in the late 80s/early 90s.

kicks the crap out of rollerball.

capncnut
10-Nov-2006, 12:14 AM
who liked The Running Man?

Loved The Running Man, Starsky did a good job in the director's chair. The guy that played Damon Killian stole the show though.

deadpunk
11-Nov-2006, 02:59 AM
The Running Man was good. One of the better adaptations of a Stephen King (sorry, Richard Bachman) story.

Conan has to be one of the greatest films of all time. If anyone's ever read any of the serious Conan comics, not that colorful MARVEL tripe, then, you can see that it was fairly well grounded in the actual storyline. Personally, thats what I look for in any movie based off of a comic/book/video game.

The musical score in Conan is certainly one of the best. especially considering that this was filmed when disco was dying and big hair rock was developing as a force...:lol:

Personally, there are very few Arnie films I've ever actively disliked. Probably LAST ACTION HERO and the one where he gets pregnant(?)...but, I'd be pressed to name another.

He might be :moon: as a politician, but as an actor, HELLS YEAH...girlie men look out! :evil:

EvilNed
11-Nov-2006, 10:29 PM
I love the Running Man! The theme song is great in that film too. It's all good, man.

And I love The Last Action Hero.

deadpunk
12-Nov-2006, 05:15 AM
And I love The Last Action Hero.

:dead:

You know what? That was a really good concept for a movie. But, it wasn't pulled off well. It had potential, is what I'm trying to say.

And, to be honest, I really thought TRUE LIES was a great action flick. And, KINDERGARTEN COP still makes me laugh like hell. So, I guess Arnie films are one of those things; where we all have one that we like, but don't tell anyone about...sort of like 80s Rock Music :shifty:

_liam_
12-Nov-2006, 05:22 AM
kindergarten cop gave us all those arnold soundboard prank calls, so it gets respect from me.

EvilNed
12-Nov-2006, 01:04 PM
:dead:

You know what? That was a really good concept for a movie. But, it wasn't pulled off well. It had potential, is what I'm trying to say.

I disagree. I think it was pulled off as well as it could have been. Arnold in the lead role, a villainous brit attempting some strange scheme (and he has a glass eye too)! There's plenty of action, that's a bit dumber than what is ordinary. The gags work.

Overall, I think it's a good action film with nice contrasts. The scene where the bad guy breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly into the camera is priceless.

slickwilly13
13-Nov-2006, 02:45 AM
Long lost Conan scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8