PDA

View Full Version : Good/bad convention guests.

Purge
12-Nov-2006, 11:14 PM
List the names of the friendly and not-so-friendly guests you've met at conventions over the years. Here's mine:

Good:

Reggie Bannister
Brinke Stevens
Michael Rooker
Kyra Schon
Amy Lynn Best
Don Calfa
Anthony Michael Hall
Scott Reiniger
Ken Foree
George Romero (Of course.)
Linda Blair (Well, she was nice to me, anyway.)
Kane Hodder
Karen Black
Virgil
Ricco Ross
Roddy Piper
Misty Mundae
Darian Caine
Lloyd Kaufman
Brian Paulin
Robert Joy
Caroline Munro
Greg Nicotero

Not-so-good:

Danielle Harris

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2006, 11:53 PM
I would assume that most guests would be "good/friendly", otherwise, why bother to show up at a convention? I would be interested to hear why you say Danielle Harris was not-so-good. She looks pretty good!

Purge
14-Nov-2006, 12:31 AM
I asked Danielle if my friend could take a picture of us at Chiller a few years ago, and she rolled her eyes and muttered, "Jesus" before she got up to take a whole whopping twenty seconds out of her oh-so-hectic schedule to grant it. My friend developed the picture and mailed it to me a few weeks later, but I just tossed it out. Judging from her IMDB profile, I'm not alone.

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 05:10 AM
Sort of crazy really because she is a regular on the tv/horror convention circuit. Maybe you just caught her on a bad day.

cinezombi
22-Nov-2006, 12:54 AM
Good:

G. A. R. is awesome to meet.
Bill Hinzman is great to.
Anyone from Zombie films expecially the dead films are extremely nice and cool to meet.
Tom Savini is great and he doesn't charge for autographs.
Tony Todd

Not Related to Zombies

P.J. Soles
Roddy Piper
Tony Moran
Robert Englund
Sid Haig

Bad:

Edward Furlong

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 07:05 AM
Who the hell put Edward Furlong in with all those legends? :lol:

coma
30-Nov-2006, 06:20 PM
Who the hell put Edward Furlong in with all those legends? :lol:
and WHY is he bad?

glsjaw
01-Dec-2006, 11:48 PM
tom Savini under good, sure he doesnt charge to sign an item that you bring him but try talking to him, i have had the unhonor multiple times and he just came off as a prick at all times, thats just my opinion and every body else's opinion that has met him

capncnut
02-Dec-2006, 01:29 AM
tom Savini under good, sure he doesnt charge to sign an item that you bring him but try talking to him, i have had the unhonor multiple times and he just came off as a prick at all times, thats just my opinion and every body else's opinion that has met him

Now it's funny you should say that because I was talking to somebody last night who had similar tales to tell. Not that he was a prick or anything, just rude. Savini is apparently very stern-faced throughout signings, can can be very dismissive at times and apparently has bad manners in e-mail coversations.

These are not my thoughts of course as I have never met him. :D

Purge
02-Dec-2006, 07:11 PM
Savini is apparently very stern-faced throughout signings, can can be very dismissive at times and apparently has bad manners in e-mail coversations.

Pretty much sums it up for me the first time we met, but he's mellowed since then.

DeadJonas190
17-Jan-2007, 03:51 AM

I have talked to him at a few conventions and he has always been pleasant and was never a prick or anything. I keep hearing people say he is like that, but I have yet to have a bad experiance when talking to him.

Bloodtype-Ed
01-Feb-2007, 10:59 PM
I've met Savini several times and I guess I've also lucked out...he was cool everytime.

Also I recently met Danielle Harris last year at Dark X-mas and she was REALLY cool. She even chatted a bit and was really sweet.

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 12:36 PM
My like her, she's purdy.

Purge
15-Apr-2007, 10:01 PM
Just got back from Chiller and wanted to chalk up Laura Ortiz in the "good guest" column. She's a cute little thing, too. :p

Don of the Dead
09-May-2007, 06:17 PM
AWESOME list:
Sid Haig
Michael Berryman
Ken Froee
Bill Moseley

How awesome? Nice enough to come to my house for dinner one night after the convnetion.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/DonOfTheDead5/Crypticon%202006/HouseJ.jpg

Also on the cool list
Kane Hodder
Alex Vincent
Basil Gogos
Pecilla Barns
Joe Pilato

Bad
Well not really bad, but Andrew Brynarski was drunk all 3 days of Crypticon.

capncnut
09-May-2007, 08:05 PM
Top pic Don, I bet that was a rush! :thumbsup:

Don of the Dead
10-May-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks! We got a few pics in my "Toy Tomb" as well:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/DonOfTheDead5/Crypticon%202006/HPIM0942_033.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/DonOfTheDead5/Crypticon%202006/HPIM0944_035.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/DonOfTheDead5/Crypticon%202006/HPIM0941_032.jpg

capncnut
10-May-2007, 08:16 AM
Damn, you lucky dog! :D

Don of the Dead
10-May-2007, 01:34 PM
Damn, you lucky dog! :D

Thanks! we're having another dinner this year, and already have one guest confirmed and several others on the "maybe list" :D

capncnut
10-May-2007, 08:35 PM
Damn, that's mind boggling! How the hell would one go about inviting Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Ken Foree and Michael Berryman over for dinner? Don, you must be one smooth operator dude. :cool:

Don of the Dead
10-May-2007, 09:54 PM
I got to know Sid off his site, same will Bill and Ken, Michael I met at the con and just invited him.

acealive1
22-May-2007, 03:38 AM
AWESOME list:
Sid Haig
Michael Berryman
Ken Froee
Bill Moseley

How awesome? Nice enough to come to my house for dinner one night after the convnetion.

Also on the cool list
Kane Hodder
Alex Vincent
Basil Gogos
Pecilla Barns
Joe Pilato

Bad
Well not really bad, but Andrew Brynarski was drunk all 3 days of Crypticon.

:eek: well now! im hoping u got all ur stuff signed before they left. how'd u get em to your house anyway?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 04:16 AM
danielle harris was a bad person at a convention?

very jealous you met roddy piper he's up on my top 10 must shake hand list

I've never met anyone from a zombie flick i've met Friday the 13th cast members mostly and of course most of them only made one or two movies so it was like not meeting anyone at all...

Track1033
07-Jun-2007, 10:36 PM
Good:
GAR
Anyone from Night, Dawn or Day...they are always pleasant and friendly...
Mosley
Foree
Haig
Berryman was a bit odd but very nice...
Kane Hodder
Ben Chapman
Ari Lehman
Betsy Palmer is wonderful
Gunnar Hanson was suprisingly very nice...he looks pretty bored sitting at his table but once you approach him he is great...
Tom Sullivan

Bad:
Tom Savini...i was with Glsjaw...(see above)

DON OF THE DEAD...You are the Man...

glsjaw
10-Jun-2007, 12:03 AM
Word. and is that Berryman's Pit. Who brings a dog to dinner. My bad i forgot who i was asking about

BrodietheSlayer
18-Jun-2007, 10:06 PM
Here is my list

GOOD

Bill Hinzman
Michael Berryman
Tom Sullivan
Sid Haig
Debbie Rochon
Garth Ennis (PREACHER writer)
Terry Moore (another comic writer)
Ken Foree
Kyra Schon
Robert D'Zar

BAD

Tom Savini
Kevin Nash
Kane Hodder

At least, in my personal experience

Man, I'd LOVE to meet Roddy Piper...always been a BIG fan.

Purge
19-Jun-2007, 03:42 AM
Yeah, Piper was all smiles and shaking everyone's hand. If I'd made a "Gold Guest List", he'd be on it.

slashface
28-Nov-2007, 12:38 AM
Best:
George Romero
All of the living dead folks
Tom Atkins (Super nice)
Vanessa Angel
Lloyd Kaufman
Roddy Piper

I can't think of any of the few dozen celebs I've met so far that wasn't courteous and friendly. But I'd have to agree that Tom Savini was not terribly friendly. He just seemed like he'd rather be somewhere else.

glsjaw
19-Jan-2008, 01:37 AM
believe you me i have had the un honor to be around Savini a bunch of times and he could care less about the fans.granded he doesnt charge for an autograph if you bring him somthing but if you try and talk to him its like you have herpies or somthing. BOOOO Savini, YAY Beer

C5NOTLD
29-Jan-2008, 07:14 PM
believe you me i have had the un honor to be around Savini a bunch of times and he could care less about the fans.granded he doesnt charge for an autograph if you bring him somthing but if you try and talk to him its like you have herpies or somthing. BOOOO Savini, YAY Beer

Anyone know what's up with Savini then? I see a lot of people posting about that. Did he have a bad fan experience at some point?

I met him back in the 1980's when he first started doing conventions and actually got a pic with him smiling and another one of him laughing. He seemed very friendly back then.

In the early 90's I took the photo of me and him to a show and had him sign it and he smiled when he saw it. And still seemed friendly.

Just wondering if something happened to him which has made the conventions less fun for him in recent years.

Mike70
29-Jan-2008, 08:27 PM
Anyone know what's up with Savini then? I see a lot of people posting about that. Did he have a bad fan experience at some point?

good question. convention stalker perhaps? maybe he has gotten sick of being asked the same 5 questions by people over and over again.

he seemed like a nice guy way back but now he has a personality that could curdle buttermilk.

DubiousComforts
30-Jan-2008, 07:19 AM
Savini was a huge convention draw back in the 80s when he was active in make-up effects. He was the only Dawn of the Dead-related guest that you could ever hope to meet amidst the seemingly endless parade of Star Trek actors at the large NYC-area conventions. I can recall Savini holding court among hundreds of fans during a live demonstration of bloody bullet hits.

Now it's all about autographs at conventions. The "wow" element of actually meeting the people behind the films is lost, and nobody is impressed by live make-up demonstrations anymore--not when they can take photos with half-naked "scream queens" instead. I really couldn't blame the guy if he has in fact become disillusioned with the whole thing.

acealive1
30-Jan-2008, 07:47 AM
BAD
Kevin Nash

i guess u caught him on a bad day,usually he's REALLY cool. i met him and he was like the nicest guy

C5NOTLD
31-Jan-2008, 08:46 PM
good question. convention stalker perhaps? maybe he has gotten sick of being asked the same 5 questions by people over and over again.

he seemed like a nice guy way back but now he has a personality that could curdle buttermilk.

Strange. If you ever get a chance take a look at Savini's old Letterman appearances where he shows off props/demo make up effects. He's laughing and really enjoying himself..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=7752
Posts #14 and #21 shed some light.

Mike70
01-Feb-2008, 06:50 PM
Strange. If you ever get a chance take a look at Savini's old Letterman appearances where he shows off props/demo make up effects. He's laughing and really enjoying himself..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=7752
Posts #14 and #21 shed some light.

thanks. i just read those posts and the thing about his daughter is way out of line and i can see why he would get pissy about that.

seems i am onto something with whole asked the same question thing. i thiink we would all get tired of that - especially from fans who are supposedly familiar with our work.

sucks about his life savings. i didn't know about that.

Now it's all about autographs at conventions. The "wow" element of actually meeting the people behind the films is lost, and nobody is impressed by live make-up demonstrations anymore--not when they can take photos with half-naked "scream queens" instead. I really couldn't blame the guy if he has in fact become disillusioned with the whole thing.

you have hit on the head the very reason i no longer spend my time or money going to these things. when i was a teenager in the 80s one of these things was the coolest place a horror fan could be.

now it just t'aint the same.

Ritchie
05-Feb-2008, 04:26 PM
For UK based fans Tom is chalked down as a guest at the London Film And Comic Con which takes place on the 19th and 20th of July. I'll be going to get my DOTD one sheet signed, and I'm very much looking forward to meeting him.
Greg Nicotero is also chalked down to appear too.

Cheers.
Ritchie.

Purge
22-Apr-2009, 07:25 AM
Just got back from Chiller this weekend. Add Tom Towles, Silvia Collatina, Bill Forsythe and Cathy MacColl to the good list.

DubiousComforts
22-Apr-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got back from Chiller this weekend. Add Tom Towles, Silvia Collatina, Bill Forsythe and Cathy MacColl to the good list.
For God's sake add John Amplas to the 'Good List', and put NOLD's Gary Streiner at the freakin' #1 spot!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/699/chiller2009002.jpg

You may say that I'm biased, but I'm positive that Gary now holds the world's record for the longest time spent talking to a single fan. While it was not uncommon to see people hanging out at his table for 20 to 30 minutes regardless of whether or not they bought a damn thing, the crème de la crème must have been when I was away from the table for awhile only to return to find Gary speaking with the guy behind NOLD Reanimated. And then they continued speaking for another 45 minutes!

Granted, these events are about business or else it wouldn't be possible for them to exist. But regardless, a convention guest that doesn't view the fans as walking twenty-dollar bills is a bonafide rarity in this day and age, folks.

C5NOTLD
23-Apr-2009, 06:20 PM
For God's sake add John Amplas to the 'Good List', and put NOLD's Gary Streiner at the freakin' #1 spot!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/699/chiller2009002.jpg

Granted, these events are about business or else it wouldn't be possible for them to exist. But regardless, a convention guest that doesn't view the fans as walking twenty-dollar bills is a bonafide rarity in this day and age, folks.

Gary's great! For those of you who missed Chiller don't miss Gary at any future appearances. :cool:

gary
13-Jul-2009, 10:41 PM
Can't wait for you guys to meet Judith Ridley, she is going to the top of your good list. She is such a nice person. :)

Purge
05-Dec-2009, 05:58 PM
Add Joan Severance to the "good" column. I met her at Chiller a few months ago. I was wearing a shirt with the Constitution Party logo on it, and she took notice and asked for links to their website. She told me that she was halfway through Glenn Beck's latest book, too. Conservative celebrities are great--especially when they're as hot as her. :o:hyper:

DubiousComforts
07-Dec-2009, 05:38 AM
She told me that she was halfway through Glenn Beck's latest book, too.
Awesome! Next Chiller I'll wear my "GLENN BECK is a FAGGOT" t-shirt, which should be a shoe-in for a free autograph. :thumbsup:

gary
06-Apr-2010, 01:07 AM
For the greatest total group of people from the Classic NOTLD. This was the best group ever collected ever. No jerks among us.

http://www.thelivingdeadfest.com/webcontent/guestlist?opendocument

Joe Unitas and Bill Mogush also showed up. And for some reason I think I'm leaving someone out.

Show up for them this year. Oct. 1st & 2nd

The Ultimate Night of the Living Lead Reunion!!~

Gary

fulci fan
06-Apr-2010, 01:39 AM
Here is my list

GOOD

Bill Hinzman
Michael Berryman
Tom Sullivan
Sid Haig
Debbie Rochon
Garth Ennis (PREACHER writer)
Terry Moore (another comic writer)
Ken Foree
Kyra Schon
Robert D'Zar

BAD

Tom Savini
Kevin Nash
Kane Hodder

At least, in my personal experience

Man, I'd LOVE to meet Roddy Piper...always been a BIG fan.

Kevin Nash? damn, that is disheartening. What was your experience?
Tom Sullivan, Greg Nicotero, and Lori Cardille are the three best guests I have come across. Savini has always been a dick.

archivesofthede
06-Apr-2010, 02:11 PM
Don your pics are amazing.

Purge
19-Apr-2010, 04:17 PM
Got back from Chiller yesterday. Add Camille Keaton, Francesca Ciardi and Megan Franich to the good list.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Apr-2010, 12:28 PM
The cast from Fulci's ZOmbie were just awesome to meet at Cinema Wasteland. Everyone of them truly appreciative of the fans.

ProfessorChaos
02-May-2010, 06:24 PM
at con-tamination, i had the pleasure of meeting and having discussions with lori cardille, gary klar, and mark tierno. awesome people who are really happy that Day of the Dead has the kind of fans it does...once they found out i was in the military, they were even friendlier than before. a great experience meeting them, so i just wanted to add them to the good list.

many cast members from the original Night of the Living Dead were there, too (john russo, russ streiner, kyra schon, george kosana, and bill hinzman). they were all pretty nice too. didn't spend too much time talking with any of them in depth, but they were still very cool.

oh and djfunkmaster g and billy ray are also pretty good guys to bump into at conventions...:D

Purge
17-Oct-2010, 12:20 PM
I was at Rock & Shock here in my hometown last night. Scout Taylor Compton was a sweetheart.

DubiousComforts
02-Nov-2010, 02:30 AM
NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD's JUDITH RIDLEY was a big hit at Chiller, an instant fan favorite.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs568.ash2/149055_471146666384_827556384_5319960_6114497_n.jp g
Santa looks like he got what he wanted for Christmas!

TheHorrorQueen
31-Mar-2011, 12:05 AM
wow, im amazed at a few of these, but not some. However i must say edward furlong was an awesome guest at dragoncon. I have not really had any bad guest experiences with any horror con guest. Mostly sci fi ones.

Purge
07-Apr-2011, 08:28 PM
Most of the Youtube videos I've seen of Danielle suggest that her bad days are few and far between. Maybe I'll giver her another chance.

BillyRay
07-Apr-2011, 08:52 PM
You know who's a really bad convention guest?

Wild dogs.

They tend to knock over the displays and eat the children.

Yojimbo
10-May-2011, 05:37 AM
You know who's a really bad convention guest?

Wild dogs.

They tend to knock over the displays and eat the children.

Best post ever

Purge
28-Nov-2011, 06:24 PM
Met Lance Henriksen, Ian McCulloch and Heather Matarazzo this year--all good guests.

Bad Ronald
01-Dec-2011, 12:39 PM
Bad:

I got stuck behind Richard Kiel (JAWS) on a long roped off sidewalk @chiller in the Meadowlands around 2004.
Guy "was" in bad shape.

This was during a rain storm I was trying to make it to A autograph tent..

Guy was so massive and debilitated by his humongousness he moves like at .03 MPH.

Couldn't go around him he took up whole sidewalk.

Someone should pitch in and buy him an industrial hoveround.

Greetings

Purge
14-Oct-2012, 12:58 PM
Met Tyler Mane at Rock & Shock yesterday. He was as friendly as he was tall.

Edit: Danny Glover was a nice guy, too. Met him at Chiller.

Purge
28-Oct-2013, 12:45 PM
Jill Schoelen was a pleasure to meet and is still easy on the eyes.