PDA

View Full Version : The Rasmus

scotty Boy
13-Nov-2006, 02:53 PM
OK let me explain to start with...

I am pretty sure everyone else who has heard them will say they suck or there HIM wannabees or something like that. I am just wondering if i am the only fan in the world of theres.

I knew them pre in the shadows, when they were more fun rock/ non goth rockers, and there music was BRILLIANT! tracks like F-F-F-Falling and bullet kick arse and before this stage they realeased 2 albums full of punk ska and this too kick some saw arse!

I have seen them in concert 4 times since there Dead Letters release in 04 and each time they really out on a great performance. There fans are overly devoted and the band themselves are really great people.

I was looking through the forum to see what people thought of them and they were acyually only mentioned twice and they were slated both times haha.

But to be honest if you have any time you want to waste and most possibly say "i could have done something better with my time" then listen to tracks from the "hellofacollection" CD as its the best of before they because wanna be goth rockers.

Scotty!

_liam_
13-Nov-2006, 03:13 PM
lol i also was aware of them before they underwent a goth-ification, i just thought it was a different band with the same name till i saw something in metal hammer about it.

it's not my cup of tea, but i dont find it as annoying as stuff like HIM or my chemical romance.

Tricky
13-Nov-2006, 04:35 PM
Im not a fan,indie over goth anyday!the clothes are better & the music is catchier ;) different strokes for different folks though!

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 04:49 AM
Most definitely NOT! But I still like you bro. :D

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 06:19 AM
actually i do prefer HIM though they are a good band, but i aint heard owt about em in a good long time.

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2006, 10:30 AM
*sigh* I dislike how HIM gets lumped in with all these sorta bands because of Kerrang! magazine...yeesh.

Anyway, personally I can't stand the rasmus. Ever since British/American record companies eventually got around to distributing HIM there's been a neverending onslaught of "similar" bands, like those guys who did "Nemo" (although I actually like that song) and of course the bleedin' rasmus (each to their own, but I can't stand them personally).

Now I'm gonna sound like Jack Black in High Fidelity or something, but ... *clears throat, stands on soap box* I was into HIM before they were made into Kerrang-fodder, by, well...Kerrang. hehe

MikePizzoff
14-Nov-2006, 10:40 AM
Kerrang! used to be a great metal zine. Now they talk about HIM and bands like that?

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 11:22 AM
wait kerrang used to be good?, hmm over here in the uk the mags allways been crap what with falout boy as cover stories and wha not, id rather spend my money on metal hammer.

Now I'm gonna sound like Jack Black in High Fidelity or something, but ... *clears throat, stands on soap box* I was into HIM before they were made into Kerrang-fodder, by, well...Kerrang. hehe

im guessing via cky like i did:cool:

MikePizzoff
14-Nov-2006, 12:41 PM
Yep. Take a look at their issues in the 80's. Great stuff!

Eyebiter
14-Nov-2006, 12:43 PM
move to media section?

scotty Boy
14-Nov-2006, 12:45 PM
Most definitely NOT! But I still like you bro. :D
Very much appriciated :)

I really dont understand how awful this bad are to you guys haha but then to be honest i guess its the same with me and HIM i cant stand Vill Valo one bit and apart from 'Love Metal' i find there music irritating.

It is true tho the english media like to promote bands in a differnt light for some strange reason.

and agreed metal hammer over kerrang anyday (and the occasional issue of Rock Sound)

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 01:12 PM
damn straight.:cool:

Deadman_Deluxe
14-Nov-2006, 01:17 PM
I played with The Rasmus at a festival in Finland once, they were low down on the bill so i guess they were a relatively new band, i also recall that Nightwish were playing there at their first ever festival (they were VERY bad!).

The next time i seen or heard of The Rasmus was about five years later ... on the "Des and Mel" crappy afternoon show for bored mum's ... go figure!

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2006, 02:03 PM
Very much agreed (well, apart from our views on HIM/The Rasmus, :p), the British media/distributors really do weird things or just flood the market with as many "they're the same but different" movies/books/films/tv shows as possible to capitalise on the market - and Kerrang does likewise, then a year later they hate the band they previously loved, then as soon as they need a feature on that very band who have a new album coming out, they suddenly love them again. It's retarded.

It's also retarded that Kerrang had a spate of a few months by putting any old bit of news (no matter how small) in the mag about HIM and then advertising the magazine as seemingly having an actual article or whatever, to rake in HIM fans to buy Kerrang's sh*tbag rag.

Also - very agreed on the Rock Sound/Metal Hammer issue - those are the mags you wanna get these days, although I haven't bought one since I was at uni, now I'm all about Total Film. :cool:

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 02:16 PM
Very much agreed (well, apart from our views on HIM/The Rasmus, :p), the British media/distributors really do weird things or just flood the market with as many "they're the same but different" movies/books/films/tv shows as possible to capitalise on the market - and Kerrang does likewise, then a year later they hate the band they previously loved, then as soon as they need a feature on that very band who have a new album coming out, they suddenly love them again. It's retarded.

a prime example being the red hot chilli peppers and foo fighters.

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2006, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, not really interested at all in RHCP, but the Foo Fighters - heck yes. Haven't completed as yet, but currently listening to their acoustic live album they recently put out - great stuff. Have all their albums ... *shock horror* and I PAID for them! :D

(Nice sig pic by the way, lol)

capncnut
14-Nov-2006, 06:27 PM
a prime example being the red hot chilli peppers and foo fighters.

Who would even want to listen to those guys now when you got bands like Tool and The Mars Volta on the scene?

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 06:30 PM
i much prefer the chilli peppers myself, the older stuff in particular, though hey-o aint bad, but what i mean is in the uk a band allways seems to be everywere then a bit longer its gone and replaced it happened with my chemical romance and green day as well.

Tricky
14-Nov-2006, 07:19 PM
UK folks,if these lads are ever on in a club near you,go see 'em!Lab4 live,their DJ sets are amazing,and their mix of nine inch nails "perfect drug" is mintos!:cool:
http://www.lab4.com/photo/xtra/newstage01.jpg

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2006, 08:13 PM
"Perfect Drug", now there's a track from one of my summer mix CDs I played while yomping around the back B-roads of my county as I screamed and yelled fruitlessly at morons who insist on driving at 30 in a 60 zone before finding that one moment to overtake them while grinning victoriously. :lol:

...my chemical romance? ... ... ... ... ... *blinks* ... ... ... ... ... *BLAAARRARRHGHGHGHGGGGGYEUCH* ... ... *wipes vomit from ever-so-blond-beard*

Danny
14-Nov-2006, 08:41 PM
you should hear em live there worse.

_liam_
15-Nov-2006, 04:45 PM
sorry mz but him are awful imho, one of those bands that adopt gothic trappings despite...not being anything like joy division, sisters of mercy, nick cave & the bad seeds etc. its just to sell records.
they claim to be in some way satanic (the acronym HIM is from the first page of the satanic bible) yet a lot of the songs are solipisistic meanderings on emotional turmoil, not v satanic. don't see the metal or goth affiliation. buried alive by love? is that about an encounter with an obese girl? :D

also gotta disagree about kerrang too, kerrang was great until about 1999/2000 when the channel launched.

kerrang used to champion bands like raging speedhorn, workhorse movement, orange goblin, earthtone9 & the like, but then the channel launched, and seeing as those kinds of bands have very few videos, they showed the american nu metal stuff, which attracted a different kind of readership, who demanded coverage of different things.

kerrang's last decent free cd was in 2000, and it had; darkane, emperor, akercocke, amen (hey i like them), icarus line, raging speedhorn - can you imagine that now?

yeah nightwish are horrible, saw them live once, nearly barfed.

HIM were pretty bad too, some genius put them on before slayer (i think), people were bottling them to death. valo said something like "youre gonna have to be a little more tolerant guys" to which this big bald man next to me screamed "FOR HUNDRED N TWENTY QUID YOU BETTER BE A BIT MORE...GOOD!" :lol:

but hey, different strokes for different folks,they just aint my thing, i like marilyn manson, which is a crime punishable by death in the industrial/metal kingdom.

now my chemical romance...THEY suck.

radiokill
15-Nov-2006, 05:11 PM
rock went to sh*t in the mid 90s and never recovered.....there've been a handful of good rock acts, but i'd rather hear stuff like iron and wine, the shins, grandaddy, or bright eyes than listen to anyone with a guitar, amp, and stomp box try to appeal to the tastes of today's tweens and the rock illiterate

_liam_
16-Nov-2006, 02:06 PM
grandaddy are rock though aint they? i remember distorted, fuzzy, nirvana style guitars...

radiokill
16-Nov-2006, 02:26 PM
grandaddy are rock though aint they? i remember distorted, fuzzy, nirvana style guitars...

yeah....i'd call it all rock and roll, really. but i wouldn't put grandaddy in the plain vanilla rock category....not that most of the other bands belong there either.....I guess i'm just calling music that I find cheap or trite or dumb "new sh*tty rock"

_liam_
16-Nov-2006, 03:14 PM
aye i get you.

has to be said, go to a rock/metal festival these days and the best bands are the ones with grey hair & rehab appointments...

(with a few exceptions, of course)

radiokill
16-Nov-2006, 03:18 PM
aye i get you.

has to be said, go to a rock/metal festival these days and the best bands are the ones with grey hair & rehab appointments...

(with a few exceptions, of course)

:lol: I agree

MikePizzoff
16-Nov-2006, 09:43 PM
amen (hey i like them)

I never got into them, but my Dad is friends with Casey Chaos. They were in a band together back in the 80's called Disorderly Conduct; cool hardcore punk.

Have you heard his new band SCUM? It's got two dudes from Emperor, a dude from Turbonegro, and a guest appearance on the album from a dude in Darkthrone.

_liam_
17-Nov-2006, 09:56 AM
man no way, your dad was in disorderly conduct?! niiice.

yeah ive heard of scum but i haven't heard them yet. chaos is also in another band called scars on broadway with a couple members of system of a down.

he's a busy boy!

MikePizzoff
17-Nov-2006, 11:32 AM
It's basically punk that relies heavily on a black metal influence. Decent stuff, but nothing I (personally) would go crazy over. Casey's vocals aren't that great... it's like he's not putting forth his normal energy and doesn't do any of his awesome screams.

M0iRXs8o5Qs

_liam_
17-Nov-2006, 12:08 PM
aye its not bad, pretty cool. if they played my town i'd see em.

shame about the lack of screams. i remember a particularly sick one on a track called "justified", something like "URRREHHHBLEHBLEHYASFACKIN BURNIN HALOOO" impressive, he sounded barely human.

you ever heard zyklon? i saw them a month or two ago in london with enslaved and they are pretty dang brutal.