PDA

View Full Version : Why the remakes are DOOMED to fail!

The Alive Man
13-Nov-2006, 05:52 PM
Okay,

I think all 4 Dead Movies (the tetralogy, soon to become a pentalogy) are really the MIRRORS of the years in which they were carefully produced and released. Not because the social satire, not because that! I'm talking about the STYLE, the "FEELING", the GROOVE you're going to breath from these movies.

The only successful attempt to cope with the remaking issue was Savini's movie ---- it was a very good take, in all regards, but on the other hand there was the EXCELLENT, superb 'DAY OF THE DEAD' to depict a "proper" Eighties Dead flick. So, summing it up, Savini's movie was good and eye-candy, more "visual" than the classic, but still unnecessary.

Romero saga is about ART. Even LAND, the most "modern" Dead flick he made ('til now), is imbued with esthetical reasons and an unique "sense of art" only the master can display.

Leave ROMERO alone. Leave his Dead movies alone. Try a new concept --- think about it!

The Alive Man
27-Nov-2006, 08:05 PM
Any feedback?

MonkeyFarm
27-Nov-2006, 09:55 PM
I generally thought that sequals and remakes were only created because the original was good and or successful (except LOTR for obvious reasons) that is generally the reason why sequals and remakes are rarely as good as originals because the 1st movie was an ORIGINAL concept the sequal being the same concept but diffrent situation.

there are a few sequals i can think of that were equal if not better then the original

Terminator 2
Aliens
erm....

I though FLY 2 was badass...theres something about a mans head being squashed by an elevator which really appeals to me (but then again the special FX director of the first directed the sequal so its bound to be gory being that this is his area of expertise)

PS sorry for mentioning LOTR in a GAR forum I hope i will be forgiven

HLS
27-Nov-2006, 11:07 PM
I generally thought that sequals and remakes were only created because the original was good and or successful (except LOTR for obvious reasons) that is generally the reason why sequals and remakes are rarely as good as originals because the 1st movie was an ORIGINAL concept the sequal being the same concept but diffrent situation.

there are a few sequals i can think of that were equal if not better then the original

Terminator 2
Aliens
erm....

I though FLY 2 was badass...theres something about a mans head being squashed by an elevator which really appeals to me (but then again the special FX director of the first directed the sequal so its bound to be gory being that this is his area of expertise)

The only reason Hollywood makes sequels is to make money. Just liek you said. Its not about making a quality movie but making money. Now Romeros movies were successful because he made them for he has a passion for movie making. He does not make movies to market happy meals at McDonald's. lol

Brubaker
28-Nov-2006, 12:22 AM

Terminator 2
Aliens
erm....

While the elevator scene is what most people remember about Fly 2, this was the only redeeming moment for me. Luckily, I found this exchange transcribed online:

(Meeting with Stathis Borans, now a bitter, crippled recluse)
Martin Brundle: "I saw you on a videotape. You were there the night my father died; he was working on a cure."
Stathis Borans: "That's why you dragged yourself all the way out here? To find out about a cure?"
Martin Brundle: "You're my only hope."
Stathis Borans: "Ah. Oh, kid, the last thing I am, is anybody's hope. You really don't want to hear about this."
Martin Brundle: "I have to know."
Stathis Borans: "Brundle stole my girl, your mother. Got her pregnant. Caused her death. Dissolved my hand and my foot with fly vomit! I had no love for the man. He bugged me! As for the 'cure' he was working on: he dragged your mother kicking and screaming into that telepod, that they might be fused together in one beautiful body. So your mother blew his brains out with a shotgun. There's your 'cure'. Go away."
Beth Logan: "You bastard! Where's your compassion?"
Stathis Borans: (chuckles) I had to give it up; it cost me an arm and a leg!"

capncnut
28-Nov-2006, 07:38 AM
(Meeting with Stathis Borans, now a bitter, crippled recluse)
Martin Brundle: "I saw you on a videotape. You were there the night my father died; he was working on a cure."
Stathis Borans: "That's why you dragged yourself all the way out here? To find out about a cure?"
Martin Brundle: "You're my only hope."
Stathis Borans: "Ah. Oh, kid, the last thing I am, is anybody's hope. You really don't want to hear about this."
Martin Brundle: "I have to know."
Stathis Borans: "Brundle stole my girl, your mother. Got her pregnant. Caused her death. Dissolved my hand and my foot with fly vomit! I had no love for the man. He bugged me! As for the 'cure' he was working on: he dragged your mother kicking and screaming into that telepod, that they might be fused together in one beautiful body. So your mother blew his brains out with a shotgun. There's your 'cure'. Go away."
Beth Logan: "You bastard! Where's your compassion?"
Stathis Borans: (chuckles) I had to give it up; it cost me an arm and a leg!"

Classic dialogue. The Fly 2 wasn't so bad actually, I remember feeling really bad when the Stoltz put his dog down. :lol:

The Alive Man
28-Nov-2006, 10:38 AM
I absolutely LOVE 'FLY 2: The Insect Awakens', I think that Stoltz would have pulled off more great roles in his career if given the right chances (long time before Michael J. Fox, he was actually casted as MARTY McFLY --- ironic name, isn't it?). He's an excellent actor ('KILLING ZOE' comes to mind, even better than all the Tarantinos movies filmed prior 'KILL BILL').
FLY 2 is a solid and unforgettable milestone of my childhood. Martin Brundle was a compelling character.
I don't know why everyone out of this board hates this gem.

I love the whole "metamorphosis" concept depicted in the movie, and Martin's mutant abilities so "comic-bookish".

Glad to see you people are so close to my tastes!

coma
28-Nov-2006, 04:46 PM
I absolutely LOVE 'FLY 2: The Insect Awakens', I think that Stoltz would have pulled off more great roles in his career if given the right chances (long time before Michael J. Fox, he was actually casted as MARTY McFLY --- ironic name, isn't it?). He's an excellent actor ('KILLING ZOE' comes to mind, even better than all the Tarantinos movies filmed prior 'KILL BILL').
FLY 2 is a solid and unforgettable milestone of my childhood. Martin Brundle was a compelling character.

I love the whole "metamorphosis" concept depicted in the movie, and Martin's mutant abilities so "comic-bookish".

I liked the fly 2. though it Wasn't called The insect awakens when it came out.
Killing Zoe was OK, better than Resevoir Dogs? No way Jose. And Kill Bill was boring as hell and anything with Lucy Liu is a turdily turd pile.

Brubaker
28-Nov-2006, 10:33 PM

*Shrugs* I'll give Fly 2 the benefit of the doubt and watch it again. I've only really seen it two or three times in the past ten years or so.

bassman
29-Nov-2006, 01:55 PM
*Shrugs* I'll give Fly 2 the benefit of the doubt and watch it again. I've only really seen it two or three times in the past ten years or so.

Don't expect too much. It's quite inferior to "The Fly". It's decent for maybe one or two watches, but the viewer generally walks aways saying "ehh".

The Alive Man
29-Nov-2006, 08:05 PM
THE FLY is a masterpiece. I like FLY 2 because it manages to be somehow adventurous without loosing its sci-fi edge.

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 07:51 AM
THE FLY is a masterpiece.

The Fly may well be a masterpiece but it's far from Cronenberg's best movie. Still undecided about that one really, it's either Shivers, Videodrome or Existenz.

The Alive Man
30-Nov-2006, 10:45 AM
The Fly may well be a masterpiece but it's far from Cronenberg's best movie. Still undecided about that one really, it's either Shivers, Videodrome or Existenz.

SCANNERS changed my life. Greatest sci-fi/horror/thriller movie ever.

HLS
30-Nov-2006, 04:56 PM

I love The Fly and The sequel. I also loved scanners. Scanners is one of my all time favs!

The Alive Man
04-Dec-2006, 11:54 PM
Cameron Vale approves.

Mutineer
05-Dec-2006, 08:36 PM
Romero saga is about ART. Even LAND, the most "modern" Dead flick he made ('til now), is imbued with esthetical reasons and an unique "sense of art" only the master can display.

The dead films are hardly art in any other sense than film itself by fiat. I love the first 3 films by Romero, but I couldn't keep a straight face calling them the work of a great Auteur.

As fun as the films are; they're still low-budget B Grade zombie films which the success has depended on cult level fandom. Romero is no longer the master of the undead genre; he lost that title when Land was plopped down in front of us like a pile of steaming crap.

-

On one hand; I concur. Leave the titles of those films alone; and make your own take. But then we have Savini's NIGHT which is more than competent and worthy and Zach's kick ass DAWN. If we followed the path of not remaking them, we would not have these gems.

On that note; even the newer DAY remake (With Ving) is looking capable of making us smile. Remakes ? Bring em on. Without them we would not have Aliens, T2, The Mummy, The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing, The Thin Red Line, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Cape Fear, The Departed ....

Is anyone really upset at the idea of Rob Zombie's Halloween ? I'm relishing it.

-

Cronenberg's best film is The Dead Zone

capncnut
05-Dec-2006, 11:03 PM
Is anyone really upset at the idea of Rob Zombie's Halloween ? I'm relishing it.

There are films people should just leave alone. Halloween is one of them. So thank god Rob Zombie is handling it and has made the whole Halloween remake thing acceptable. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Sid Haig better be playing Loomis! :elol:

rikimaru
06-Dec-2006, 08:28 PM
dawn.... gem?.....i didnt know gems smelled like the set of debbie does dallas...

films that are considered art are for the most part b grade indie films that people dont appraciate for years after they come out.........

so far night dawn and day fall into that catagory if you ever see lists of most influencal or frightining movies you will find at least 2 of the 3 main trilogy from gar on the lists.

Art in every field is the same not apprciated when it is created but after it is forgotten and rediscovered thats when people see it for what it is.

coma
06-Dec-2006, 08:56 PM
The dead films are hardly art in any other sense than film itself by fiat. I love the first 3 films by Romero, but I couldn't keep a straight face calling them the work of a great Auteur.

As fun as the films are; they're still low-budget B Grade zombie films which the success has depended on cult level fandom...

On that note; even the newer DAY remake (With Ving) is looking capable of making us smile. Remakes ? Bring em on. Without them we would not have Aliens, T2, The Mummy, The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing, The Thin Red Line, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Cape Fear, The Departed
Romeros Zombie films succes depend on Ground breaking quality that achieved a huge followung other than cult status depite their low budgets.
Night of The livins dead and DAwn are classics by most standards

Aliens, T2, are sequels
The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing are both adaptaions of books/Stories

Mutineer
06-Dec-2006, 09:17 PM
Romeros Zombie films succes depend on Ground breaking quality that achieved a huge followung other than cult status depite their low budgets.
Night of The livins dead and DAwn are classics by most standards

Aliens, T2, are sequels
The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing are both adaptaions of books/Stories

Of course of course; I'm not sure where I was when I added Aliens and T2 to the 'Remake' list; too many threads, too many forums .... :eek: :confused: :o

Still, Mohicans and The Thing is nit-picking. Those are remakes of films that just happen to be based on books. :rolleyes: Tit for tat I think.

I would never dispell the status of the dead films being classic's; still Low-budget B-Grade horror that survives in Cultdom and I stand by my original quote that these films are hardly the work of an autuer. Art by fiat, yes. Art by definition ? That's another thing all-together.

Eyebiter
07-Dec-2006, 01:37 PM
The major factor seems to be the quality of the script. So many sequels are well funded, have great F/X, a good director, the original cast, but suffer from a poor story.

A few more great sequels for your list

The Empire Strikes Back
The Road Warrior
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

The Alive Man
10-Dec-2006, 09:16 AM
The major factor seems to be the quality of the script. So many sequels are well funded, have great F/X, a good director, the original cast, but suffer from a poor story.

A few more great sequels for your list

The Empire Strikes Back
The Road Warrior
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

True.