PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who: The Invasion DVD

_liam_
16-Nov-2006, 02:00 PM
If anyone has £15 to spare and is that way inclined, get the new doctor who "the invasion" special edition dvd.
A prime quality slice of spooky B&W 60s doctor who, the two missing episodes are now animated in stylish black & white.

at nearly 4 hours, it's a bit of an epic, but with cybermen stalking around st pauls cathedral in some excellent location work, tight direction, amazing incidental music (think ipcress file meets westworld) and pat troughton (the priest in the original omen) as the doctor, there's no reason not to...

*goes off to nerd quietly in a corner*
live action
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/254393/cybsewer.jpg
animated
http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Doctor%20Who%20Pictures/DW%20Pictures/Invasion%20Animated%202.jpg

Cykotic
16-Nov-2006, 05:09 PM
must...get...dvd

Rottedfreak
16-Nov-2006, 07:25 PM
Picked up Earthshock the other week and for a nemesis which supposedly got rid of their emotions the cyber leader has some peculiar characteristics, he keeps saying "Excellent", he's sadistic, he talks to the doctor about emotions curtailing logic and then he spares the doctor and his female companions lives to take a ride in the Tardis alone with them, he also displays a few other emotions.
The Cybermens plan seemed wasteful, fifteen hundred Cybermen disguised as cargo and the plan was merely to hijack the ship and crash it into Earth, they then abandon ship. Also you'd think earth would have all it's ships and stations on high alert considering the Cybermen threat and that someone would check the cargo.

coma
16-Nov-2006, 07:30 PM
Vintage Dr Who music is the best. The BBC radiophonic lab (or whatever the name is) did really incredible stuff. btw, George Martin worked there.

*goes off to nerd quietly in a corner*

Be careful not to chafe:p

Danny
16-Nov-2006, 08:03 PM
Picked up Earthshock the other week and for a nemesis which supposedly got rid of their emotions the cyber leader has some peculiar characteristics, he keeps saying "Excellent", he's sadistic, he talks to the doctor about emotions curtailing logic and then he spares the doctor and his female companions lives to take a ride in the Tardis alone with them, he also displays a few other emotions.
The Cybermens plan seemed wasteful, fifteen hundred Cybermen disguised as cargo and the plan was merely to hijack the ship and crash it into Earth, they then abandon ship. Also you'd think earth would have all it's ships and stations on high alert considering the Cybermen threat and that someone would check the cargo.

the cybermen are retards anyway, they look cooler but the darleks could kick there ass, plus there bitchier "this is pest control!".

sounds like a good dvd, didnt used to like the old who but after watching red dwarf and its cardboard sets ive giving it more leeway and it aint bad.

capncnut
16-Nov-2006, 10:41 PM
If anyone has £15 to spare and is that way inclined, get the new doctor who "the invasion" special edition dvd.
A prime quality slice of spooky B&W 60s doctor who, the two missing episodes are now animated in stylish black & white.

When did this come out? Shee-yott! This is my favourite Dr Who story of ALL TIME with my favourite Dr Who EVER! Any word on the extras bro?

_liam_
17-Nov-2006, 09:54 AM
yeh its got a couple of documentaries, one about the kids who used to make audio recordings of the episodes before videos existed - not as boring as it sounds as they basically laugh at how geeky they were.

another is about the making of the story, and the history of the program around that general era.

also it has commentary from the stars (jamie, zoe,bridgadier etc), and info text (a subtitle track of trivia), a photo gallery, a couple of featurettes on the making of the animated episodes, the links from the 90's VHS release, and some other stuff. it's a two discer so you get your money's worth imho.

re: earthshock, heh, some fans say the cyberleader is a bit pompous and full of emotion as a device to intimidate people, as the other cybermen never display emotion. personally i think it's just cause it's difficult to have interesting dialogue with a blank, emotionless computer. also cos doctor who was getting a just lil bit crappy & lazy by the 1980s.

i think that earth was on high alert due to a peace conference or something, and that's why they hijacked a freighter that was already scheduled to visit earth.
they managed to get away with it cos that ringway guy who was the head of security was working with them.
the loss of troops would be minimal cos at this point the cybermen are supposed to be assimilating whole planets, and as a result the conference on earth is discussing a way to eliminate them.

the biggest goof in that episode is when they get rid of the air in the hold to kill the cybermen and the doctors like "oh they dont breathe", but then a big deal is made out of their respiratory systems being clogged by gold...er...so why do they need a respiratory system?

the funniest bit is when adric is typing on that console and the actor blatantly knows it's about to blow up...

capncnut
17-Nov-2006, 07:26 PM
yeh its got a couple of documentaries, one about the kids who used to make audio recordings of the episodes before videos existed - not as boring as it sounds as they basically laugh at how geeky they were.

One of those geeky kids is a friend of mine called David Holman. He phoned a buddy of mine a while back to let me know that he was interviewed by the BBC for a documentary and I didn't believe him. LOL, looks like I owe him an apology.

Note: Plus he wasn't paid a bean for the interview. In fact he wasn't paid a bean for the use of his Invasion audio either because it's 'pirated BBC property'. All he gets for his troubles is a copy of every episode they use, the tight bastards!

Edit: He recorded EVERY Dr Who episode from Marco Polo until Spearhead From Space. Now that's what I call GEEKY! :lol:

_liam_
21-Nov-2006, 10:33 AM
lol yeah mate he's on the documentary, respect i say, i'm a total frothing whovian, but i can't even be bothered to tape the new episodes anymore...(just wait for the dvd)

"for those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, no explanation is possible"