PDA

View Full Version : The Thing remake...

Neil
17-Nov-2006, 10:20 AM
A little bit of news over at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30745

_liam_
17-Nov-2006, 11:24 AM
hmmf. well the original was great, the first remake is one of the greatest films ever made. so what's the point?

this film would be crap with cgi imo!

plus the music, tension and general goodness of the original would be so hard to beat...i sometimes wonder whether these remakers are stupid, arrogant, or just have king kong balls...

i'm kinda against these crappy horror movie remakes cos from now on if you say "dawn of the dead" to some random person, they'll probably think of the remake, and if they thought the remake was crap, it kinda buries the good name of the original.

mind you i'm sure fans of the original thing hmmfed a bit when the '82 version came out, so i'll just have to see...

cheers for the heads up :thumbsup:

Danny
17-Nov-2006, 12:03 PM
why does this need to be remade again is this like number 3?

just come up with some new ideas hollywood remakes suck!

Neil
17-Nov-2006, 01:09 PM
It will get remade for something like $30,000,000 with the aim of getting a young audience in who haven't see the original(s)...

The reason it is getting remade is simply that they predict with a survey that they will make more than $30,000,000 (or what ever it is).

Ie: It's simply a business exercise...

Anyway, that's the feelings from my cynical mind :)

Eyebiter
17-Nov-2006, 02:34 PM
After seeing the Assault at Precinct 13 and The Fog remakes...

and considering the scifi channel original movies shown on weekends..

there will be excessive profanity
an updated urban hip hop/heavy metal soundtrack
younger 'hip' characters
hot young women who can't act to save their lives
cardboard character and development

Terran
17-Nov-2006, 03:06 PM
A little bit of news over at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30745

*grumbles*.......

If this thing ends up being a **** storm....:mad: ...I might have to riot...

The original soundtrack of the first one was great....Id hate to see it updated with the latest "in" music...I like the ambient tension building score....

*sigh*...

The more I think about it...the more I think how they are going to screw it up bad....

_liam_
17-Nov-2006, 03:16 PM
lol i love the thing soundtrack too...it's like they picked up a bass guitar for the first time, chopped a couple open Es, and said...ah that'll do.

not to detract from it, it's extremely ominous and effective. a bit like the dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun music from dawn78.

Terran
17-Nov-2006, 03:25 PM
I bet they make a love interest in the film...

or even better Childs (or the Childs equivelent character) ends up getting played by a girl as a love interest for MacReady...or the other way around...

*shakes head*

bassman
17-Nov-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't know why you guys seem surprised?:rockbrow: .....

It doesn't bother me. The original was good and the first remake is friggin great. Another remake won't hurt the existing film. Just like Romero's.....

Terran
17-Nov-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't know why you guys seem surprised?:rockbrow: .....

It doesn't bother me. The original was good and the first remake is friggin great. Another remake won't hurt the existing film. Just like Romero's.....

Im not really surprised ...more angry than anything....I thought the new Dawn sucked as a remake and was only decent as a genre related movie...some people like Meat Market....

I would prefer some sort of loosely based sequel than a remake....

but *shrugs*...Id bet on it being horrible

capncnut
17-Nov-2006, 07:42 PM
"You gotta be f**king kidding..." :D

deadpunk
18-Nov-2006, 04:34 PM
Nothing could top the Carpenter remake, but what the hell... it's a good movie, maybe they'll nail it. 99.99% chance they'll blow it, but I can hope, right? ;)

coma
18-Nov-2006, 04:50 PM
Often a film is remade because it's dated in some ways. Dawn has the blue zombies, old haircuts/clothes, old mall stuff, old style film stock, for example. I don't think day is dated. The Thing is not dated at all. No Low Budget suffering, ultra top notch effects, great music and no anacronistic fashion. A kid wouldn't say "this is an old movie" cause they wouldn't know.
I would say, however, that the Carpenter Thing was more of a readaptation but also a remake. The Thing from another world was remake worthy because the original had bad 50s effects. Obviously it was a good choice at the time.
If the do (pretty likely) horribly screw up The Thing it won't bother me cause I have no deep attachment to it. I truly loved it but it's not going to personally insult me like Dawn 04.

Terran
18-Nov-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't think day is dated. The Thing is not dated at all. No Low Budget suffering, ultra top notch effects, great music and no anacronistic fashion. A kid wouldn't say "this is an old movie" cause they wouldn't know.

I agree with you with the exception of one effect in the movie....

Remember when Windows, and the rest are strapped into the chairs...and it turns out the middle guy is infected....and he rips windows up and the like whole body splits in half to a whole mouth...

And the Thing attacks Windows....bitting him and flipping him up and down ...breaking the overhead lights eventually releasing him throwing him against the wall...

Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...(rag doll ish ....and puppet like...bouncing around in impossible fashions)...

Thats a very bad a effect and might have been better if it were cut out all together.....like the head splits....bites into Windows...they throws him against the wall...

capncnut
18-Nov-2006, 08:15 PM
Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...

Agreed. I also HATED the effect in the kennels when the dog beast sprouts what can only be described as a massive flower. Apparently it was a star-like mouth with rows of canine teeth!

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2006, 09:44 PM
*raises huge hand canon to head ... pulls trigger ... brains go EVERYWHERE*

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

For crying out loud, hurry up and get this new fangled 3-D technology so Hollywood can abuse another fad into the grave! ENOUGH with these utterly turd remakes, if a film is made specifically to make a calculated amount of money - guaranteed it's going to be complete rubbish.

*sigh*

I watched Carpenter's version on Halloween and it was utterly fantastic as always. When the f*ck will sh*ttywood learn - you cannot manufacture a successful and legendary flick, especially a cult classic.

MaximusIncredulous
18-Nov-2006, 11:59 PM
I agree with you with the exception of one effect in the movie....

Remember when Windows, and the rest are strapped into the chairs...and it turns out the middle guy is infected....and he rips windows up and the like whole body splits in half to a whole mouth...

And the Thing attacks Windows....bitting him and flipping him up and down ...breaking the overhead lights eventually releasing him throwing him against the wall...

Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...(rag doll ish ....and puppet like...bouncing around in impossible fashions)...

Thats a very bad a effect and might have been better if it were cut out all together.....like the head splits....bites into Windows...they throws him against the wall...

Also notice when Palmer leaps up to the ceiling, a piece of ceiling falls on the ceiling?

As for remake 2, best thing to do is to ignore it, watch the original or Carpenter's to our heart's content, and hope remake 2 bombs like Hiroshima, giving the corporate bean-counters a lesson they deserve.

Terran
19-Nov-2006, 01:24 AM
Agreed. I also HATED the effect in the kennels when the dog beast sprouts what can only be described as a massive flower. Apparently it was a star-like mouth with rows of canine teeth!

oh I really liked that part....the Kennel is one of my favorite parts

Eyebiter
19-Nov-2006, 12:56 PM
"There was another death sequence for the radio operator Windows. In the film Windows hesitates and is attacked by Palmer-Thing and tossed aside, seriously hurt and most likely already being taken over by the Thing. He is unceremoniously torched by MacReady who does not hesitate. Another storyboarded scene was planned for Windows' demise. It is similar to his death in the novel. Windows trying to escape from the Thing is attacked and dragged away to his death. Interestingly enough, the script has Windows biting down on a cyanide capsule just before he is engulfed by the Thing."

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/deletedscenes.html

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/deletesbwindows.gif

capncnut
19-Nov-2006, 07:58 PM
oh I really liked that part....the Kennel is one of my favorite parts

I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Is it just me or do you guys turn away at the thumb-slicing blood test part?

Terran
19-Nov-2006, 08:12 PM
I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Yeah it just seems like an odd place to slice yourself....

Like slice your forearm.......I mean even the back of the hand is better than the thumb.... That thumb is going to bother you for like a week...

HLS
19-Nov-2006, 08:15 PM

Great minds think alike. The spider head thing was a great scene. John Carpenter's version was wonderful I think they need to leave well enough alone.

capncnut
19-Nov-2006, 09:19 PM
I totally love the original version too and I loved the way they incorporated it into the remake when they are checking the videotapes.

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2006, 10:42 AM
*shudders*

Totally, the thumb slicing - particularly the sound (as you don't actually see flesh being cut) is the bit I always reel from, such things give me the shudders. And yeah, it would bother you for ages with that flap of skin flapping away, it makes bathtime really annoying, and going to the toilet, and washing your hands...mind you, I guess in their situation they're not too bothered about such things. :D

I've got the Hawks version on video, taped it off the TV a couple or so years ago, but still haven't gotten around to watching it. Will have to dig it out of my cupboard...

DVW5150
23-Nov-2006, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=CapnKnut;50492]I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Windows : " You GOTTA be F*#KING KIDDING ME! " awesome ...:elol:

Continued the story from the rescue team arrives at the outpost , and show infection-invasion spread from there . Its forshadowed in Carpenters version ...