PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac

bassman
17-Nov-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been a fan of director David Fincher's films ever since I first walked out of the theater after seeing "Seven". "Fight Club" only made it that much better...."Panic Room" was okay. I think most people can agree that the guy has knack for what he's doing. So anyway, I've been waiting for his next film for quite some time. This time around, Fincher has made a flick that's based on real events and I believe he is the perfect man for the job.

Today the trailer was finally released. Check it out. (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/zodiac.html)

It's a well made trailer.....but the song that starts playing about halfway through seems a bit out of place. Oh well.....I'm psyched about the movie and very glad that there's finally a trailer. "Zodiac" was supposed to be released earlier this year, then got pushed back to this month, then got pushed back to January, and now it's pushed back to March. :confused:

http://www.cinempire.com/films/news/images/zodiac.jpg

coma
17-Nov-2006, 06:21 PM
I've been a fan of director David Fincher's films ever since I first walked out of the theater after seeing "Seven". "Fight Club" only made it that much better...."Panic Room" was okay. I think most people can agree that the guy has knack for what he's doing. So anyway, I've been waiting for his next film for quite some time. This time around, Fincher has made a flick that's based on real events and I believe he is the perfect man for the job.

Today the trailer was finally released. Check it out. (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/zodiac.html)

It's a well made trailer.....but the song that starts playing about halfway through seems a bit out of place. Oh well.....I'm psyched about the movie and very glad that there's finally a trailer. "Zodiac" was supposed to be released earlier this year, then got pushed back to this month, then got pushed back to January, and now it's pushed back to March. :confused:

http://www.cinempire.com/films/news/images/zodiac.jpg

The song (Rod Stewart/faces) seemed OK to me, trying to get the 70s vibe. Better than another Stones tune, the ususl choice.
It looks good to me. I loved Fight Club. Panic room was boring. I thought 7 was a big cliche and a bunch of rehases taped together. Looked good but saw it before. Though the performences were good and it had some sick moments.
Its hard to live up to fight club, but Zodia is something I'm defintely going to see
Thanks for the link

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm looking forward to checking this movie out, it certainly looks pretty nifty. I too am a big fan of Fincher's work. Even Alien 3 is actually quite good - I recently watched it back again and it was far better than what I remembered, and I suddenly saw Fincher's direction shining through the chaos of the over all production.

Se7en is a master stroke and Fight Club is utterly legendary. Panic Room, while not being quite as original as those two movies I just mentioned, it's still incredibly well made and rather entertaining. I've got the special edition DVDs of all of them (aye, 3 disc for Panic Room). I can't wait to see Zodiac, haven't really been following it's production as I've been following other productions and suchlike, but aye - bring it on!

bassman
17-Nov-2006, 06:36 PM
Fincher wanted his name taken off of "Alien 3".:lol: The studio f*cked with him hard on that one. He doesn't consider that his film. I've even read interviews of him saying that there are about 30 minutes of scenes in that film that he didn't do and they weren't second unit. Overall it's not horribly bad....but coming after "Aliens".....of course people were pissed.

What do you guys think of "The Game"? I thought that was a damn fine film. It was a good transition to go in between "Seven" and "Fight Club".

Little piece of trivia for yas:
During the famous "I want you to hit me as hard as you can" scene in "Fight Club".....look at the car behind Edward Norton(Narrator). The station wagon should look familiar if you've seen "The Game". There's even a certain sticker on it.....:D

capncnut
17-Nov-2006, 07:47 PM
The trailer looks pretty good. Fincher is the MAN!

Danny
18-Nov-2006, 01:00 PM
im not a big fan of his, it seems he doesnt try to hard with the plot when he can make an atmospheric set, which most seem alike no matter what the location just a lot of dirty greens and browns overlapping a soap opera plot.

but ive been proved wrong before (once:sneaky: ) so ill wait and see.

bassman
20-Nov-2006, 02:17 PM
im not a big fan of his, it seems he doesnt try to hard with the plot when he can make an atmospheric set, which most seem alike no matter what the location just a lot of dirty greens and browns overlapping a soap opera plot.

but ive been proved wrong before (once:sneaky: ) so ill wait and see.

Doesn't try hard with the plot? Have you not seen "Fight Club"?:rockbrow:

"Fight Club" has one of the biggest plot "mind-f*cks" of the past 20 years. That is, if you haven't read the book before viewing.

Same with "The Game". It has some fantasical elements that wouldn't probably happen in real life(but who wants that all the time?)....but overall a very good plot..

Danny
20-Nov-2006, 03:02 PM
Doesn't try hard with the plot? Have you not seen "Fight Club"?:rockbrow:

"Fight Club" has one of the biggest plot "mind-f*cks" of the past 20 years. That is, if you haven't read the book before viewing.

i gotta disagree that was pretty rpedictable, but i think i was reading a book like jeckyll and hyde at the time i first saw it so i could pick it up, what with the lines some characters said, if you payed attention to the writing it was kinda obvious, deifnatly not a "mind ****" in my opinion, though to be fair i cant believe how many people didnt get who the nutter was in saw after the hospital scene:rolleyes:

bassman
20-Nov-2006, 03:06 PM
Go ahead and tell yourself that.;) Even if you had the idea(It actually crossed my mind on the first viewing), there were still certain things that needed to be explained(Marla, the way he would switch, the franchise, etc.).

Oh well....even if you did have an idea of the ending, it's still one hell of a movie. Even the people that read the book and knew how it would turn out liked the movie.

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2006, 06:41 PM
Indeed, Fight Club is an excellent book and brilliant movie, it rewards you with repeat viewings as you suddenly see everything in a new light once you've seen it the first time. It's intricately put together and Fincher is obsessed by such intricacy and measured precision.

Haven't seen The Game yet (I know, look who's late to the party on that one, :lol:) but I've been meaning to. While Panic Room wasn't the best script, Fincher's control over it is powerful and noticeable - it's a film that could only be made by Fincher.

Just one little insight I really liked, not sure where (possibly Se7en, no wait, maybe Fight Club) but it was on a commentary for one of Fincher's flicks and he was saying how he demanded that the black on screen was the same black as the widescreen bars - fantastic. I can't tell you how annoyed I am by that wishy-washy half-assed grey/black crap you get in a lot of films. Give me high contrast any day (a personal stylistic love).

bassman
20-Nov-2006, 06:51 PM
If you can see Fincher shinning through on "Panic Room".....You definitely need to get your hands on "The Game". It's great stuff.

I rate his existing films in this order:

Fight Club
Seven
The Game
Alien 3(even though he claims this isn't his film)
Panic Room

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll have to get the DVD, I see there's no fancy R1 release but there is a Special Edition on R2 with extras, looks pretty sweet and is recommended by DVDCompare.net ... will have to get around to that soon methinks. :)

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 01:26 AM
Alien 3(even though he claims this isn't his film)

Vincent Ward's original screenplay for Alien 3 is f**kin' awesome. The Fincher movie is okay but the special effects were crap, even by the standards then.

HLS
21-Nov-2006, 01:38 AM
I am so excited about this! I refused to see panic room for a so loathe Jodi Foster.

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 03:06 AM
I am so excited about this! I refused to see panic room for a so loathe Jodi Foster.

Especially in Bugsy Malone!

coma
21-Nov-2006, 03:33 AM
Especially in Bugsy Malone!

I LOVED that movie when I was a kid. Haven;t seen it in many years, but I'm sure its super wierd. Alan Parker is nuts.

_liam_
21-Nov-2006, 10:35 AM
fincher did a pretty cool nine inch nails video (i think it was called "only").
aparrently him, trent reznor and palahnuik are working on a fight club musical :lol:

Adrenochrome
21-Nov-2006, 11:36 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 03:40 PM
fincher did a pretty cool nine inch nails video (i think it was called "only").
aparrently him, trent reznor and palahnuik are working on a fight club musical :lol:

I believe Fincher did 'Closer' as well as 'Only'. As for the Fight Club musical, that's just absurd! :lol:

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey, if they have a chorus line of Space Monkies chanting "his name is Robert Paulson" in a melody as "Jack" fights with himself, I'd go see it. :lol:

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 05:16 PM
Okay MZ, when you put it that way... :lol:

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2006, 05:20 PM
Just imagine a musical version of the Tyler Durden/Marla Singer sex scene ... now that'd be some fudged up shiv. :D

_liam_
21-Nov-2006, 05:34 PM
lol i can picture it...an industrial beat kicks in... the dirty sounding synth starts up, a rhodes piano chimes in a few chords...

"oh my job makes me weep(his job makes him weep)/cant get to sleep (cant get no sleep)/the only thing to save my wits (the only thing to save his wits)/are meat loaf's tits (are meat loafs tiiiiiits)"

bassman
21-Nov-2006, 05:38 PM
:lol: :lol:

Friggin great, liam. I almost choked on my burger.

I would like to see how the whole "killing tyler" scene works out on stage.:p

capncnut
21-Nov-2006, 06:05 PM
"oh my job makes me weep(his job makes him weep)/cant get to sleep (cant get no sleep)/the only thing to save my wits (the only thing to save his wits)/are meat loaf's tits (are meat loafs tiiiiiits)"

Funny s**t man. :lol: