PDA

View Full Version : Space Odyssey thoughts...

capncnut
24-Nov-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to the works of Arthur C. Clarke. His writing is so hypnotic that I trance out and often have to take a breather while reading. The description of alien worlds and scientific philosophy in his books are unmatched in my opinion. The Space Odyssey series being a prime example.

The original book 2001 (based on a joint screenplay by Clarke and Stanley Kubrick), is the ultimate story of man's destiny in outer space. From prehistoric origins all the way to the furthest reaches of the universe and the unknown. The 3 sequels that followed were also amazing and took the saga all the way up until the year 3001, where technology has advanced so much that wall pictures are 'living' and childrens toys actually look after the kids while their parents are busy or at work.

So far only two films have been made (2001 and 2010) and nothing would please me more than to see the final two get released. Apparently Tom Hanks has been attatched to the third story (2061) for a long while now but it doesn't seem likely that it will be made in the near future.

If anybody out there has seen the movies or read the books I would like to hear your thoughts on them. How they much affected you, how much they influenced you or even how much they bored you if that's the case. If you are familiar with the third story, who could play the characters in 2061 and who should direct it? Was you satisfied with the final odyssey (3001), what's your favourite character in the series, do you have any far out interpretations of it's cryptic plotline/timeline etc.

Also, should the original story be translated into a videogame and how could this be tackled intelligently if it was attempted. I look forward to your replies, that is if there are any! :D

Eyebiter
24-Nov-2006, 08:10 AM
2001 has some great visuals, but I also think it's a product of it's time. Today audiences wouldn't have the patience to sit through the long periods where orchestral music plays and not much occurs on screen.

2010 was an entertaining film but the part with the Soviet Union seems dated with the end of the cold war. Recall enjoying the film at the theater. However on subsequent viewings the score didn't age as well as the first movie.

DVW5150
28-Nov-2006, 05:11 AM
Captain Knut : "Also, should the original story be translated into a videogame and how could this be tackled intelligently if it was attempted. I look forward to your replies, that is if there are any! "
Good idea ... however it would have to be done intelligently as you say . There was a game a long time ago (1999 or so) for mac called " Obsidian " , if it had that flavor , possibly . As for 2001 , I am in great awe of that masterpiece ... I saw it at age 7 , and understood the David Bowman was re-born so-to-speak , at the end . It made the hairs on my neck stand . as for 2010 , I thought it was a good film , and it stood because it wasnt the same film , it was true to the first but not cow-towing to it . I will always love 2001 , as many others that were growing up at that time , it gave hope in some wierd way ...:skull:

deadpunk
28-Nov-2006, 05:40 AM
tbh..2001 was good, but it really wasn't memorable for me...Mayhap I should watch it again. I'm not certain that I've ever seen 2010...

capncnut
28-Nov-2006, 07:20 AM
I am in great awe of that masterpiece ... I saw it at age 7 , and understood the David Bowman was re-born so-to-speak , at the end. It made the hairs on my neck stand...

Wow, you understood the whole 'Stargate to Starchild' sequence at the age of seven? Damn, I was in my mid-twenties before I understood what the f**k was going on! :confused:

As for 2010, I feel that it 'worked' given the mighty footsteps it had to follow in. It didn't take anything away from the original which is a rarity for a sequel these days.

2001 was good, but it really wasn't memorable for me...Mayhap I should watch it again.

Maybe you should. I just wish I could catch a theatrical viewing someday...

HLS
28-Nov-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, I very much want to get the books and read them. Actually I watched both movies Saterday. I know a lot of people here expressed to me that they do not like the movie and I am sure they do not even compare to the books but I found the movies moving and thought provoking. The Music was trance like, spooky and amazing. The scenes of space were fantastic and the story amazing.

DVW5150
28-Nov-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, I very much want to get the books and read them. Actually I watched both movies Saterday. I know a lot of people here expressed to me that they do not like the movie and I am sure they do not even compare to the books but I found the movies moving and thought provoking. The Music was trance like, spooking and amazing. The scenes of space were fantastic and the story amazing.

HLS , you are truly a sci-fi human . 2001 had no sound in space which is accurate . When Bowman opens the airlock to enter Discovery , the sound goes silent ... Cool that you have an appreiciation for the finer sides of cinema ... Cheers!:skull:

HLS
28-Nov-2006, 07:08 PM
HLS , you are truly a sci-fi human . 2001 had no sound in space which is accurate . When Bowman opens the airlock to enter Discovery , the sound goes silent ... Cool that you have an appreiciation for the finer sides of cinema ... Cheers!:skull:

Why thank you.:D :p :o I actually forgot about that silence tidbit. I think the movie was stunning given the year it was made and all that CGI hoopla really did not exist back then( I think) Yet the space images looked so very real.
Ya. I love science fiction probably even more so then horror. Another great sci-fi flick is "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

coma
28-Nov-2006, 08:42 PM
Why thank you.:D :p :o I actually forgot about that silence tidbit. I think the movie was stunning given the year it was made and all that CGI hoopla really did not exist back then( I think) Yet the space images looked so very real.
Ya. I love science fiction probably even more so then horror. Another great sci-fi flick is "The Day the Earth Stood Still"
There was definately no CGI then. A computer could fill a whole house sized area. I dont know what was the first, but it had to be at least the late 70s.
Handmade FX are still the best imo.
Escape form LA is a great example of horrid CGI. That tidal wave was the worst.
I think the slow pace is one of the reasons it;s great. I hate that everything now looks like an Usher video.

capncnut
29-Nov-2006, 12:06 AM
Before he died, apparently Kubrick was going to re-shoot the whole Stargate sequence for a planned special edition. I often wonder how that would have turned out.

DVW5150
29-Nov-2006, 02:32 PM
Quote " There was definately no CGI then. A computer could fill a whole house sized area. I dont know what was the first, but it had to be at least the late 70s.
Handmade FX are still the best imo.
Escape form LA is a great example of horrid CGI. That tidal wave was the worst.
I think the slow pace is one of the reasons it;s great. I hate that everything now looks like an Usher video." By Coma
You are right by that ... I have seen some really bad cgi ...In the "Brothers Grimm" , theres a sequence where insects come out of a horses mouth , they looked unfinished . Like an incomplete rendering . "Escape from LA " made my adnoids curdle ... ugh ! BTW 2001 was made in 1968 ...wow .

coma
29-Nov-2006, 03:47 PM
You are right by that ... I have seen some really bad cgi ...In the "Brothers Grimm" , theres a sequence where insects come out of a horses mouth , they looked unfinished . Like an incomplete rendering . "Escape from LA " made my adnoids curdle ... ugh ! BTW 2001 was made in 1968 ...wow .
I think Star Trek was the most advanced thing at the time. Planet of the Apes came out in 68 too. And 2001 remained the best until Star Wars in 77. If you compare 77 theatrical Star Wars to the unspecial editions, the CGI pops out and looks really crappy. I usually dont mind mediocre old skool FX, but bad CGI is a mood killer, just pops me right out of the movie.
What really looks bad is CGI smoke. Always bad.

HLS
29-Nov-2006, 04:15 PM
Quote "are right by that ... I have seen some really bad cgi ...In the "Brothers Grimm" , theres a sequence where insects come out of a horses mouth , they looked unfinished . Like an incomplete rendering . "Escape from LA " made my adnoids curdle ... ugh ! BTW 2001 was made in 1968 ...wow .

Ya The Brothers Grimm was one of the worst movies of all time. I did not realize 2001 was made in 1968. hat was a year before I was born! Well the movie is all the more better now for mankind has not been to the moon yet(I think) so the moon scene was rather darn acurate!

Chakobsa
29-Nov-2006, 11:33 PM
Before he died, apparently Kubrick was going to re-shoot the whole Stargate sequence for a planned special edition. I often wonder how that would have turned out.
2001 Is one of those books that I've started a couple of times but not got very far with. I was the same with Dune when I first picked it up years ago; nowadays I've read it several times and it kicks arse. I've just pulled 2001 down from the shelf and put it on the "reading in progress" pile. I'm one of those folk that have three or four books on the go at once.

I'll give it another go and let you know how it grabbed me Capn'. BTW, I've always held back from watching the film 'till I've read the book, seen the famous space scenes though and I'd be hard pressed to think of any that surpass them or even come close.

As to the CGI thing, well, used carefully it's fantastic; how cool was Gollum in Jackson's LOTR films? The CGI in those films was pretty damn good IMHO.
That said, pre-CGI films like The Exorcist, American Werewolf and John Carpenter's The Thing have jaw dropping effects that make the CGI stuff look
like, well, CGI.

capncnut
30-Nov-2006, 01:07 AM
I'll give it another go and let you know how it grabbed me Capn'. BTW, I've always held back from watching the film 'till I've read the book...

Yeah, do that Chak. Bear in mind that the book was written after the movie and is very different.

coma
30-Nov-2006, 06:27 PM
As to the CGI thing, well, used carefully it's fantastic; how cool was Gollum in Jackson's LOTR films? The CGI in those films was pretty damn good IMHO.
That said, pre-CGI films like The Exorcist, American Werewolf and John Carpenter's The Thing have jaw dropping effects that make the CGI stuff look
like, well, CGI.
I just started watching all 3 a couple days ago, I had never seen all of them before and it is really amazing. Those walking trees are nuts and golem is veru realistic.
American werewolf still looks great. Thing is greater than great. the 1931 King Kong looks great too. I find it way easier to dismioss flaws in old skool FX than in CGI.
What I hate is fake smoke CGI. seems like actors who dont want to smoke have it CGId in later. and it looks faker than fake.