PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Fountain (non-Dead related)

Geophyrd
26-Nov-2006, 01:21 PM
I saw a remarkable movie this weekend. It was really good but half of the people that see it won't get it, and they'll hate it and talk about how it sucked and was confusing and how they wish they could get back that two hours. I heard all about it at the urinal in the movie theater before I left.

Me? I'll be over in the other crowd talking about how some movies don't connect all dots, that sometimes the canvas is meant to contain your own perceptions of what you saw and how it worked. I could also be talking about a mirror as canvas and how it contains different images for everyone. That is one of the incredible things about the movie...that when its over, your take on it is different than anyone elses (although mine's pretty close to Harry Knowles' take over on Aint It Cool News). I loved it and wished it hadn't ever ended and how it is both gloriously beautiful and very familiar.

In The Fountain, there are three stories revealing themselves gradually. There is a Spanish Conquistador, asked by his queen to seek a mystery. There is a modern man who is looking to save his wife, dying of cancer. And last, there is the same man, far flung in the future, performing t'ai chi sequences in a bubble beside a tree in far away space. Oh yes, and there is the glorious Rachel Weisz. Trust me...Rick O'Connell's love for Evelyn in The Mummy movies is NOTHING compared to Hugh Jackman's adoration for his wife here.

How are they connected? What do they have in common? Is it worth the 2 hours you're going to spend going somewhere with these characters?

Oh yes, clearly. Although half of you will think it sucks and half of you will see brilliance.

I'm still dazzled....great movie.

HLS
26-Nov-2006, 01:59 PM
I saw a remarkable movie this weekend. It was really good but half of the people that see it won't get it, and they'll hate it and talk about how it sucked and was confusing and how they wish they could get back that two hours. I heard all about it at the urinal in the movie theater before I left.

Me? I'll be over in the other crowd talking about how some movies don't connect all dots, that sometimes the canvas is meant to contain your own perceptions of what you saw and how it worked. I could also be talking about a mirror as canvas and how it contains different images for everyone. That is one of the incredible things about the movie...that when its over, your take on it is different than anyone elses (although mine's pretty close to Harry Knowles' take over on Aint It Cool News). I loved it and wished it hadn't ever ended and how it is both gloriously beautiful and very familiar.

In The Fountain, there are three stories revealing themselves gradually. There is a Spanish Conquistador, asked by his queen to seek a mystery. There is a modern man who is looking to save his wife, dying of cancer. And last, there is the same man, far flung in the future, performing t'ai chi sequences in a bubble beside a tree in far away space. Oh yes, and there is the glorious Rachel Weisz. Trust me...Rick O'Connell's love for Evelyn in The Mummy movies is NOTHING compared to Hugh Jackman's adoration for his wife here.

How are they connected? What do they have in common? Is it worth the 2 hours you're going to spend going somewhere with these characters?

Oh yes, clearly. Although half of you will think it sucks and half of you will see brilliance.

I'm still dazzled....great movie.

God, I can write a book discussing this movie but I am not for I do not want to ruin it for others before they see it. I do not see it as three stories. it is like a story within a story then the bubble sequence is a look into the future. it is a hard to follow movie but the visualizations are stunning. I do recommend this.

Kaos
26-Nov-2006, 02:32 PM
Moved this to the media section.

capncnut
26-Nov-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm intrigued, it looks like I'm gonna have to pay a visit to my Chinese bootleg dvd purveyor. :D

bassman
26-Nov-2006, 10:52 PM
Just saw it yesterday and I whole-heartedly agree, Geo.....masterpiece.

As far as the "three storylines" thing.....I don't see it that way. I see it all as one man searching throughout time(oddly enough, after looking up interviews on the net after arriving home, this is the same way the director describes it). I can't wait to own this movie on DVD. Actually, I may just have to go see it in theater again.:)

About some people getting it and others thinking it's crap....I watched people walking out of the theater with frowns and shaking their heads.:( I guess some people just need their films laid out, cut, and dry for them. It's a shame, really.

A++
Aronofsky wins again.