PDA

View Full Version : World War Z

deadwrtr
27-Nov-2006, 02:48 AM
Holy crap this would make a fantastic movie... :)

Anyone else read it?

Neil
28-Nov-2006, 01:56 PM
Is it good? Everyone seems to rave about it!

deadwrtr
28-Nov-2006, 09:41 PM
Is it good? Everyone seems to rave about it!

It's fantastic. Where Mr. Brook's Survival manual on handling the dead was written in a somewhat campy manner, WWZ deals with the aftermath of the zombie war, personal stories taken from survivors of the plague that nearly wiped out humanity.

The Great Panic explained in detail the world's response to the zombie epidemic, the single-mindedness of the walking dead, and individual nation's responses to the attacks. The entire book is written in a interview style format, and much of it was chilling. The visual imagery painted in my head of half frozen zombies, just starting to thaw and struggling to get out of their ice prisons was fantastic! The battle of Yonkers... the list goes on and on.

If you haven't yet read this book, you should.

Neil
28-Nov-2006, 09:56 PM
It's fantastic. Where Mr. Brook's Survival manual on handling the dead was written in a somewhat campy manner, WWZ deals with the aftermath of the zombie war, personal stories taken from survivors of the plague that nearly wiped out humanity.

The Great Panic explained in detail the world's response to the zombie epidemic, the single-mindedness of the walking dead, and individual nation's responses to the attacks. The entire book is written in a interview style format, and much of it was chilling. The visual imagery painted in my head of half frozen zombies, just starting to thaw and struggling to get out of their ice prisons was fantastic! The battle of Yonkers... the list goes on and on.

If you haven't yet read this book, you should.

Cereval said you could get it in audio book format?

BretJordan
01-Dec-2006, 09:43 PM
I just got my copy in today. I am currently reading One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon, but as soon as I am finished with that one I'm gonna start reading World War Z.

UndeadAnthology
02-Dec-2006, 01:55 AM
I really need to read this one. Just haven't had time yet.

Jacob

Danny
02-Dec-2006, 05:35 AM
just finished the dark tower series not five minutes ago so i guess i finally have something else to check out with this.

kidgloves
02-Dec-2006, 03:36 PM
I was a little sceptical about reading this at first because the format of the survival guide didn't hold my interest at all. WWZ is a completely different beast. Its the first book for years that i have read again within days of finishing it. It really is that good. Everybody on this forum should get something from it.

It would make a superb mini series with a similar style to Band of Brothers. Consolidating it into a movie worries me a bit because of the scale and style of the book but it needs to be put on the screen in some form.

In terms of the audiobook, we can't get it in the UK.

To anyone that has read WWZ all im going to say is

YONKERS

:eek: :eek: :eek:

deadwrtr
02-Dec-2006, 04:29 PM
To anyone that has read WWZ all im going to say is

YONKERS

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SAND LAKES PROVINCIAL WILDERNESS PARK, MANITOBA CANADA

I couldn't decide what was worse... the human survivors or the zombie plague...

True hunger....

kidgloves
02-Dec-2006, 05:23 PM
That is probably my 2nd favourite chapter of the book. Horrifying without Brooks needing to say graphically how desperate they had become. The space station section is top notch as well, not to mention the sub part. i could go on and on and on about this book :D

I almost forgot the downed pilot as well and the .....................................

No i'll stop right there otherwise i'll have to read it for a third time :D :D

deadwrtr
03-Dec-2006, 06:30 AM
That is probably my 2nd favourite chapter of the book. Horrifying without Brooks needing to say graphically how desperate they had become. The space station section is top notch as well, not to mention the sub part. i could go on and on and on about this book :D

I almost forgot the downed pilot as well and the .....................................

No i'll stop right there otherwise i'll have to read it for a third time :D :D

That's why I think this would make a fantastic movie. Imagine all of the flashback sequences...(Of course, that's how it would have to be done) plus he hints that the problem isn't over... just controlled... for now...

Danny
03-Dec-2006, 07:35 AM
id much rather get a band of brothers type series than another zombie film, im kinda getting sick of em all cus they all have to spend the 1st 30 mins setting up there on mythos or some such crap.
so id prefer a zombie tv series, maybe based on the walking dead, cus i prefer people to gore in zombie movies.

kidgloves
03-Dec-2006, 12:18 PM
The only objection i'd have against the movie, which is coming in 2008, is all the sections of the book that would be cut out to satisfy the running time for the multiplex's.
How about a movie to launch the story then a spin off tv series (HBO?) telling the individual stories of the survivors. Now that would be zombie heaven:D

For now just give me The Great Panic and Total War on screen and i'll be happy.

dracenstein
04-Dec-2006, 09:54 PM
Just read it. A great read. I'm gonna read it again.

Neil
04-Dec-2006, 10:18 PM
Is it a long read?

ProfessorChaos
05-Dec-2006, 12:10 AM
After checking out the website, I am pretty sure this will be my next book purchase for my undead library (rubs palms greedily)...

tkane18
05-Dec-2006, 03:45 AM
The website has 10 chapters of excerpts from the book (as podcasts) which works out to be just under 2 hours (1:47).

World War Z Website (http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/worldwarz/)

coma
05-Dec-2006, 04:47 AM
The website has 10 chapters of excerpts from the book (as podcasts) which works out to be just under 2 hours (1:47).

World War Z Website (http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/worldwarz/)
Tanks for that link. That books sounds really good.
I live near yonkers. Maybe they ate everbody in the court building, the bastids:D

kidgloves
05-Dec-2006, 08:37 PM
Is it a long read?

342 pages.
Just buy it Neil. You won't regret it. Its a fantastic take on what would happen should the dead rise.

Tanks for that link. That books sounds really good.
I live near yonkers. Maybe they ate everbody in the court building, the bastids:D

Once you read it you'll know what we mean ;)

ProfessorChaos
06-Dec-2006, 01:21 AM
Just ordered this book tonight, kinda like a little early Christmas present for myself. Can't wait to read it.

deadwrtr
06-Dec-2006, 07:46 AM
Is it a long read?

It's 342 pages, but by the end, you'll be wishing he had written more. As was alluded to earlier by someone else, it's not so much what he writes, but how he writes it.

LoSTBoY
06-Dec-2006, 09:35 PM
I got the audio book on Cereval's reccomendation and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Neil, if you want to get the audio book fast then you should do a quick *ahem* search, if you know what I mean. ;)

Give me a PM if you can't find it. :shifty:

BretJordan
17-Dec-2006, 02:39 PM
I just finished reading it yesterday and. . . WOW.

My favorite story was the girl who gets stuck in the swamp and has the mysterious radio person talk her through it, but every story in the book was great.

At first I was afraid the book would be like another 'interview' book I read called War Day. I hated War Day. It moved along too slowly. World War Z clips along at a fast pace and stays interesting throughout the entire thing. One of the best books I've read this year.

zombiefriend
18-Dec-2006, 12:09 AM
idk why no one liked the survival guide as much. i thought it was entertaining and gave a lot of helpful tips. but in comparison to wwz......-_- no comparison. i liked the kyoto story with the zatoichi type gut. that that was bada** >:)

Is it a long read?

dude.....it goes by fast b/c its hard to put down

Danny
18-Dec-2006, 01:17 AM
i thought it was entertaining and gave a lot of helpful tips.

for what?, its not real y'know.

ngm231
31-Dec-2006, 05:37 AM
i just bought it 3 days ago so far its really good

Craig
01-Jan-2007, 10:37 PM
I got it for Xmas and been reading it now and again, it's very good and believable so far.

Mutineer
01-Jan-2007, 10:40 PM

:lol: :D

coma
02-Jan-2007, 12:34 AM
It isn't?!?!?!?!
When Santa gets here, me and him are going on a hunt!

subseasniper
08-Jan-2007, 08:42 PM
I got World War Z in October and have just finished it for the second time. Some of the chapters could be easily spun out to be movies in their own right. Very, very interesting stuff that is conerned with the response to the chaos in both personal and (inter)national levels.

As its written in short interviews the book can be easily picked up for a ten minute 'zombie' fix.

SubSeaSniper