PDA

View Full Version : What typical film errors do you overlook in Lowbudget indie stuff?

DjfunkmasterG
19-Mar-2006, 01:18 PM
I was curious because we have a few minor things and I am wondering if it is worth picking up another day just to re-shoot the scene.

One of the scenes is a Cameramans reflection in sunglasses. Although barely noticeable some movie geeks would be quick to point this out and go apesh*t about it. I hate to refilm the shot because the permornaces by both myself and the other actor was so natural you couldn't tell we suck at acting. The DP is having a fit about it, I myself am saying f*ck it, but am thinking maybe he is right.

Opinions?

axlish
19-Mar-2006, 03:01 PM
If it is really nagging you, you could use that CGI FX program and slap a circular black matte over it. Just a thought. Otherwise, unless it is obvious, I"d leave it alone. Heck, is there some footage you could cut in for a second or two?

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, one thing that annoys me are non-actors trying to act too far - so if you've got a good performance going I say stick with it. Even Hollywood flicks show cameramen in glass sometimes.

Personally, I find it annoying when indie flicks overstretch themselves and try and show a whole apocalypse when they don't have the resources...or people that really, really, really cannot act ... acting, lol.

Cereval
19-Mar-2006, 09:47 PM
I was curious because we have a few minor things and I am wondering if it is worth picking up another day just to re-shoot the scene.

Opinions?
I've learned to live with it. Continuity is an ongoing thing that you either get or botch. In the end, I usually ask myself: how much time and money would it cost to reshoot that? Is the mistake really worth a reshoot?

I kind of like having little fubs in there. I'm one of those nerds that wants to catch them all the time when I watch films. I guess the whole deal is: does one wrong note ruin the song? George has a laundry list in his films ... it kind of adds to the charm IMO. :)

Dawg
19-Mar-2006, 10:33 PM
I've learned to live with it. Continuity is an ongoing thing that you either get or botch. In the end, I usually ask myself: how much time and money would it cost to reshoot that? Is the mistake really worth a reshoot?

I kind of like having little fubs in there. I'm one of those nerds that wants to catch them all the time when I watch films. I guess the whole deal is: does one wrong note ruin the song? George has a laundry list in his films ... it kind of adds to the charm IMO. :)

Agreed, you are bound to make mistakes, there is no way to be 100% on anything. Like others have said above, Hollywood f**ks up all the time and that is why there are sites and books about film flubs are out there. It is kind of like finding a prize when you spot them. Most of the time, they are overlooked the first time anyway unless it is blantant, but who really cares? $hit man, you can spot a crapload of mistakes in my film such as earrings in one shot, not in another, cameraman reflection, long hair that gets a little shorter, etc, etc. etc.

Overall, if you can refilm it the way you want, that would set your mind at ease, or put some SFX over it, then do that. If not, then just chalk it up to a pretty well standard in pictures. It isn't like you're the first and you won't be the last! :)

:dead: Dawg :skull:

DjfunkmasterG
20-Mar-2006, 01:17 AM
Personally, I find it annoying when indie flicks overstretch themselves and try and show a whole apocalypse when they don't have the resources...or people that really, really, really cannot act ... acting, lol.

Then you are gonna hate my film... I am doing just that... Showing the start of an apocalyspe, and nearly 24 hours of it. Then ending part 1 6 months after it all hit the fan.

Agreed, you are bound to make mistakes, there is no way to be 100% on anything. Like others have said above, Hollywood f**ks up all the time and that is why there are sites and books about film flubs are out there. It is kind of like finding a prize when you spot them. Most of the time, they are overlooked the first time anyway unless it is blantant, but who really cares? $hit man, you can spot a crapload of mistakes in my film such as earrings in one shot, not in another, cameraman reflection, long hair that gets a little shorter, etc, etc. etc.

Overall, if you can refilm it the way you want, that would set your mind at ease, or put some SFX over it, then do that. If not, then just chalk it up to a pretty well standard in pictures. It isn't like you're the first and you won't be the last! :)

:dead: Dawg :skull:

We re-shot it. I could have lived with it, but it really bothered my DP, so since he is working for pretty much $5.00 and a bag of cheeto's... I said ok we will re-shoot it, but I made him also agree that if the alternate versions didn't come off nearly as good I am going back to the original cut.

We also shot different angles of the same walk, and a reverse, so it is a matter of how I cut it and how it comes together. We sat and watched dailies for an hour, mostly newer footage edited into **** we already had "in the can". We had a very complex block we had to do last weekend and he was sweating how it would come off because this is my first feature editing job. I never really edited something of this size and magnitude so he was a bit skeptical. I only made those DAWN trailers when I was covering the remake, and then I was just goofing about with it.

A lot of people were worried about me editing the film after the original DP/Editor bailed on us with no notice, but when the sequence came up he leaped off the couch and was like "HOLY SH*T... Whatever doubt I had for you as an editor is now gone." This of course made me feel good, and the sequence came out just as he wanted.

Like I said though... The reflection never bothered me and I was cool with using it, but I do now have to look at the re-shot stuff and make a decision. The nice part about having him to film with us today as we were able to knock out some in car driving dialogue... which was very funny because it was 100% ad-libbed and I mostly went off about my ex-wife which had him laughing up a storm and was blowing takes, but we all got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input on this matter... I will reply in a few days to let you all know if the new sequence is in, or I kept the old one. However, it does give me material for the deleted scenes. :elol:

Pistolero Films
20-Mar-2006, 02:46 PM
Yup, I wouldn't worry about the sunglass reflextion at all.

One thing that needs to be done well is the acting, as stated.

If there are minor technical oopses, oh well.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Mar-2006, 08:58 PM
Well I looked at all the new sequences and I found a few takes and angles I like so I threw them in and now I have to put everything back into place and then rip a disc and have a looksie.

The only that sucks about Movie making is you have to watch your film 250 frickin times before you unleash it on the public.

LouCipherr
24-Mar-2006, 12:39 PM
While I realize this issue bugs the DP (poor guy, he's worried about it while he's eating his Cheeto's.. which he spent his $5 on.. :lol:), I can honsetly say that even though the reflection is in MY sunglasses during the scene - no one ever noticed until the DP pointed it out... and the performance was sooo natural, it was difficult to even convince me to do a re-take of the shot.

Now, of course it's his job (the DP) to point things out like this and make sure things like this don't happen, but to be honest I can't see anyone else really noticing the issue.. that is, 'till someone <ahem> brought it up. :lol:

We watched the dailies on my 50" Sony Wega, and that's the only way I could even see it, but it was so barely noticable, I was of the opinion the original take should stay there simply because the performance by the actors (ahem) was so "on" and natural. There's nothing more I hate than over or under acting... and although I do that most of the time (hey, i'm an amateur! Give to me a large break), this one just seemed to flow like it should..

See, even in music, sometimes you can play a song and a particular part you play (I happen to play guitar) happens to be questionable intonation-wise, however.. I have ALWAYS been of the opinion that if the "feel" is there and the "emotion" you're trying to convey is there, there's no reason why you shouldn't leave that questionable note in there. It's more than just about being "perfect" note-wise, it's more about conveying the feeling you have to the person listening (or in this case, watching) effectively.

The one thing people need to keep in mind while watching any indie film is that it's just that - and low budget indie film. You can't compare it to a high-budget hollywood production (who screws up things like this all the time too, you just have to watch closely), and if you do, you'll be nothing but disappointed. I think a lot of people watch these indie flicks with way too high of expectations.

Remember, it's just some average joe's with their cameras and friends trying to entertain you the best way 10 grand can. ;)

MikePizzoff
24-Mar-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree with continuity. I feel it should be overlooked to an extent.

LouCipherr
24-Mar-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I mean if it was blatently obvious, sure, it would need to be reshot. But hell, even on my large TV, I could barely make out what Dj and our DP were talking about. If I can't see it (or can barely see it) most people would never notice - well, 'cept for the people who live to point out errors in movies.. and if that's the case, you're watching movies for the wrong reason. ;) :D

Apocryphism
24-Mar-2006, 03:01 PM
I try to be forgiving in a broad sense. I expect that when I watch something that has been produced and distributed, that there will be some amount of quality... and what I particularly look for is the intention of the film, the narrative in general, and the creativity and heart that went into it... technical errors and problems related to the fact that it is a severely limited independent production, however... **** happens, man. Roll with it and try to see the big picture.

I think that many people don't quite have a grasp on what it means to be a good viewer. We expect film makers to crank out stuff that's going to blow us away, and though we don't expect indie film to be at the level of something much more nebulously budgeted, we are terribly harsh on independent productions, often for things that just can't be helped.

Perhaps it takes some personal connections or experience to really be able to have some empathy for the world of independent filmmaking... and while you should expect some general quality in creativity and method, you have to watch these flicks with some consideration of the lack of resources, the sacrifices, and the struggles that are involved.

At least someone's trying. And constructive criticism is golden. You don't always make your epic the first time around... you get there.

YMMV.