PDA

View Full Version : Review: Old Twentieth by Joe Haldeman (not dead related)

Geophyrd
29-Nov-2006, 12:18 PM
Hope this belongs in the Media Discussion.

Old Twentieth was good anyone else, just fair for Joe

I've posted other reviews to Joe Haldeman's books (most recently Camoflage, which I liked very much) and I'm on record as being a fan of the man's writing. Even his less than stellar books are well written, compelling page turners.

Old Twentieth presupposed a future in which humanity has achieved immortality but in doing so, they've sacrificed much of what's made them human. The perspective is interesting. Without certain, eventual death ahead, are the people aboard the starship heading outward bound still human? They're only 250 years into their immortality and suddenly death begins happening again. What's causing it? What's the mystery that lurks within the core of their lives?

The book is well written. I believe Mr. Haldeman structures his books carefully and then allows himself the conceit of writing within his structure. In books like Forever War, Camoflage and others, this works well. In Old Twentieth, it means we get a five page discourse in which our protagonist chases and slaughters a duck.

Having said that, I liked the book, liked the story. If I have a problem with it, it is only that it seems to end very abruptly and just when its getting really interesting. I'd have like to have known more about these people including what eventually happens after the 'ending' of the book.

Not one of Joe's best but truely that probably means its light years ahead of most writers. I'll keep buying them and reading them so long as he keeps writing them.