PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of changing the web address to the forum?

HLS
01-Dec-2006, 08:41 PM
I know it is a stupid question but I just curious:D

When we first log on we get this message:

"The old address for the forums is now redundent. It should be automatically remapped to the correct new address (forum.homepageofthedead.com)."

Neil
01-Dec-2006, 09:41 PM
I know it is a stupid question but I just curious:D

When we first log on we get this message:

"The old address for the forums is now redundent. It should be automatically remapped to the correct new address (forum.homepageofthedead.com)."

Well, the two addresses have been living along side each other for a while (ie: you could use either).

For the past few days there's been a notice warning of the "migration", then yesterday the server was reconfigured to infact rule out the old address.

The purpose of the change is mainly cosmetic, as personally I think its better :)

You experiencing any problems at all?

Eyebiter
01-Dec-2006, 11:18 PM
Well the change breaks a lot of web links. Since it's simply a DNS redirect is there any reason NOT to keep both the old and the new pointers?

HLS
02-Dec-2006, 01:06 AM
Well, the two addresses have been living along side each other for a while (ie: you could use either).

For the past few days there's been a notice warning of the "migration", then yesterday the server was reconfigured to infact rule out the old address.

The purpose of the change is mainly cosmetic, as personally I think its better :)

You experiencing any problems at all?

I have problems but it is not the fault of hpotd. My employer blocks the new URL probably because it has the word "forum" in it and they have all message boards blocked. I am amazed that the old URL was not blocked.

Neil
02-Dec-2006, 08:21 PM
Well the change breaks a lot of web links. Since it's simply a DNS redirect is there any reason NOT to keep both the old and the new pointers?

Breaks a lot of web links? Explain?

HLS
07-Dec-2006, 09:09 PM
Breaks a lot of web links? Explain?

Will we continue to be able to access this site threw thw other link mentioned on the font page. the link that ends with the VBB or will that be fazed out all together? The vbb link lets me access this page from work :)