PDA

View Full Version : A History of Violence

Philly_SWAT
03-Dec-2006, 04:05 PM
I read many rave reviews of this film online, as well as hearing positive comments from members of this board. I watched it last night, and only thought that it was OK. Even though it was not a "special effects" movie, the FX were very well done. The story was good enough, but havent we seen "the guy is assuming an identity other than his own" story before? It was a top-notch cast, but the movie definately didnt blow me away. I am missing something?

capncnut
03-Dec-2006, 04:57 PM
Big Cronenberg fan but this is a film I have yet to catch. The reviews are pretty much all over the place, ranging from phenomenal to downright bad. Maybe you're not missing something Philly. Maybe A History Of Violence is a 'marmite movie'.

'Marmite movie'. Wait, isn't that ALL of Cronenbergs movies? :D

coma
03-Dec-2006, 07:14 PM
Maybe A History Of Violence is a 'marmite movie'.

'Marmite movie'. Wait, isn't that ALL of Cronenbergs movies? :D
A what?!?!
Two peoples seperated by a common language.:)

_liam_
03-Dec-2006, 07:26 PM
marmite is a thick yeast spread sold in england. it looks like tar and has a similar consistency. basically, people either have to eat it every day or they will actually vomit upon smelling it, the taste is...interesting. i love the stuff and have to say it tastes disgusting...it's mysterious...salty and sour,makes your toungue curl up and your mouth water

dunno if you have "twiglets" in america, theyre peppered with a similar residue...

capncnut
04-Dec-2006, 03:39 AM
A what?!?!
Two peoples seperated by a common language.:)

Maybe this will help http://www.marmite.com/love/.

Danny
04-Dec-2006, 08:01 AM
jesus:rolleyes: , next they'll explain why yorkies "arent for girls":lol:

coma
04-Dec-2006, 05:09 PM
jesus:rolleyes: , next they'll explain why yorkies "arent for girls":lol:
Jesus, I dont know what the hell you are talking about.
Excuse me for living 4000 miles away and not knowing every detail of the UK culinary experinece.:rolleyes:

And thanks for the links. I recognize the label for the Irish sections of the stroes around here. Thought it was some kind of powdered something.