PDA

View Full Version : More on Preacher

Geophyrd
04-Dec-2006, 07:23 PM
This is going to kick BUTT...Odin Quicannon having sex with the meat person!

Interview with Mark Steven Johnson from IESB (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_d4j_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=featured&article=845&Itemid=27)

Q: Did the research you did for this kind of prep you for Preacher?

MSJ: Preacher I have always wanted to do. Preacher is like, you know, it's the greatest but it's so difficult. And I love it more than anybody and I remember reading a script a while ago it was gonna go to film and I was like, oh, how do you make a two hour movie from Preacher? You can't do it. So, when I went into HBO I said very simply, here's the comic, there's seventy-five issues plus the four issue Saint of Killers, every issue in an hour. It's a six year show. And HBO, God bless them, went, cool!

Q: So are you staying pretty loyal to the whole storyline?

MSJ: No, not loyal, exact. So it's like, we had our first meeting the other day, I kept waiting for them to go, we're not doing this! (laughing) It's like, I want Odin Quincannon having sex with a meat person. (laughing) If I can do that, I've made my mark on the world. Everything is just like so out there, this is it. They're like, ****in' HBO's got balls, they were like, yeah bring it! Do it! So, I'm like, it's just like Daredevil, it's just like Ghost Rider, no one comes to your door and says, hey, you want to do these movies? I'm the last guy. But I'm the guy that gets it done because I care and because I do it. People have tried to make Daredevil, they've tried to make Ghost Rider, it hasn't happened, but I got it made. And Daredevil with mixed results, with Ghost Rider I hope much better. The Preacher I hope exact. Like today, I emailed Kevin Smith, I was like, Dude, I just got Preacher, I know you love it, if it goes, and who knows if it will, but if it goes would you please direct an episode. Because I want to go to Kevin, I want to go to Robert Rodriguez, I want to go to all these people and do guest directors. That would be really cool. I want it to be a prestige thing, you love Preacher? Come do a show. Usually it's a guest actor, I want it to be guest director. But keep the spirit of it, keep the vibe of it but also know, there will be a different imprint everytime who comes to direct the show. My job is to help write the show, I am working with Garth [Ennis] everyday, he's a big part of it, make sure it's exactly what we want and let the director put his imprint on it. But it's gotta be a book.

Q: Do you know where you are shooting or anything?

MSJ: I haven't even written it yet. My meeting was yesterday. Again, who knows what will happen. I hope that it will go. They've been trying to make Preacher, like Daredevil and Ghost Rider, for years and years and years.

Q: As the series kicks in, is Garth going to be there everyday if he wants to be?

MSJ: If he wants to be absolutely. My first meeting was yesterday, and Garth is in New York so he was on speaker phone and like all meetings when there's one person on the speaker phone you all go and stare at the speaker phone. But it was so great to talk to him and ask him questions, and as it always happens, with the creators, they're like, don't be beholden to the source material, I just did that cause, A, B, or C. They were like, do whatever you want. I was like, no, no, no, it's gotta be exactly that. So he's the one going, use your own thing. But, with Garth's help, I said to Garth, also tell me are there any stories you wanted to tell but weren't able to. Was there something that you wanted to do but didn't have time, I want to hear that too! We want to fill it out, we want to make it, a six year show, or above with a definite ending the way it does which is obviously, incredibly controversial. Again, nobody would have the balls to do this but HBO.