PDA

View Full Version : My First Horror Short...

N2NOther
11-Dec-2006, 12:20 PM
Check it out and let me know what you think...

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2754853

Danny
11-Dec-2006, 12:56 PM
it doesnt work.

Cereval
11-Dec-2006, 01:44 PM
Check it out and let me know what you think...

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2754853

That was very cool. I liked your choice of shots - the stitch together very nicely. It has a great feel. Nicely done man! Any more stuff online? Planning on doing anything else?

it doesnt work.

Worked for me ... <shrugs> ... :(

N2NOther
11-Dec-2006, 02:27 PM
it doesnt work.
Hmm. I checked it before I submitted it and I checked it just now. I'm not very good at computers so I don't know what the problem could be.

That was very cool. I liked your choice of shots - the stitch together very nicely. It has a great feel. Nicely done man! Any more stuff online? Planning on doing anything else?

THANKS!

I'm sending out my next "film" (I shot it on a Canon XL2 so it's technically not a film perse) to be scored tomorrow. Not a zombie film though but still horror. Honestly, I'm happy with the performances, but little else.

Fulcifan91
11-Dec-2006, 03:10 PM
It isn't working for me either...

EDIT: just got it working when I tried it again. It was very cool, I like it alot, I have the same questions as Cereval, so I don't have to ask them again. :)

capncnut
11-Dec-2006, 05:39 PM
It's not working for me as well, I'm afraid.

N2NOther
12-Dec-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know what to say...The link works.

Fulcifan91
12-Dec-2006, 08:04 PM
It sowrks, let it sit for a while, i had to jsut leave it there for about 5 minutes before it started playing. I started hearing the movie and im like, WTF, wheres that coming from?!

EvilNed
12-Dec-2006, 10:45 PM
Worked for me. I kinda liked it. Short and good. And in greyscale...

HLS
12-Dec-2006, 11:31 PM
It worked for me and it was great! Loved it! The music was awesome!

chukrok
13-Dec-2006, 02:39 AM
Excellent work.

N2NOther
13-Dec-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks guys!...Secrets from the set...

There was originally suppoed to be around 15 zombies at the end which would have looked a lot better but only 4 people showed up...The rest were my crew. And the interiors were filmed in the Bronx in a first floor apartment and the exteriors filmed at my friends' house in Poughkeepsie...I love how editing can create such a great illusion.

Neil
30-Dec-2006, 09:36 PM
Couple of (candid) comments...

A short film has the benefit of not being long (me a genius!), therefore IMHO it can move quickly and in effect stick to the "interesting" stuff. So for me too much time was spent in the kitchen - Almost felt like a cooking program to start with? :) ie: Something like 20% of the time was spent watching him cook?

Furthermore, with a short film, story is all important - typically a nice twist. As it was there seemed to be no story? Why not a nice dark twist? eg: Why not the sound in one of the other rooms of glass breaking, and the (closed) door to the room he's in starting to get banged - ie: They're going to get him soon... He shouts out expletives to them and how he's ready for them, and how they won't get him!! And he slowly puts the gun to his head... Pulls the trigger... and click... nothing... He's got no bullets left... Then he starts his mad laughing again...

It sort of felt like you were more worried about how you were shooting the feature, rather than what you were shooting!?

I loved the shot of the creatures at the window... and the music was great!

N2NOther
30-Dec-2006, 11:58 PM
Couple of (candid) comments...

A short film has the benefit of not being long (me a genius!), therefore IMHO it can move quickly and in effect stick to the "interesting" stuff. So for me too much time was spent in the kitchen - Almost felt like a cooking program to start with? :) ie: Something like 20% of the time was spent watching him cook?

Furthermore, with a short film, story is all important - typically a nice twist. As it was there seemed to be no story? Why not a nice dark twist? eg: Why not the sound in one of the other rooms of glass breaking, and the (closed) door to the room he's in starting to get banged - ie: They're going to get him soon... He shouts out expletives to them and how he's ready for them, and how they won't get him!! And he slowly puts the gun to his head... Pulls the trigger... and click... nothing... He's got no bullets left... Then he starts his mad laughing again...

It sort of felt like you were more worried about how you were shooting the feature, rather than what you were shooting!?

I loved the shot of the creatures at the window... and the music was great!

Thanks for the criticisms...BUT I will say that your idea of what should have happened would have made it a different film than the film I wanted to make. I like your ideas though.

capncnut
31-Dec-2006, 01:17 AM
Okay, so now it works.

Anyhow, I thought it was okay. I liked the style and the grainy black and white etc but I kind of agree with Neil on this one. Why was it so important to show a guy eating soup for 2 mins out of a 3 min short? That said, the acting/laughing was quite decent and the music fit the mood nicely. Good work.

N2NOther
31-Dec-2006, 01:47 AM
Okay, so now it works.

Anyhow, I thought it was okay. I liked the style and the grainy black and white etc but I kind of agree with Neil on this one. Why was it so important to show a guy eating soup for 2 mins out of a 3 min short? That said, the acting/laughing was quite decent and the music fit the mood nicely. Good work.

You don't actually see him eat soup for 2 minutes, it's more like 45 seconds, but if you really want to know, the point of the film was more to mock the nature of student films with their pretentious personal boredom films and have the twist be that it's really about a guy who's boarded himself in from a zombie apocalypse and has lost his mind...Plus I had fun with a sight gag that everyone misses which is both a blessing but I guess it's not really a sight gag...Behind him, when he sits down after turning on the TV, there is a Tales from the Crypt calendar with the dates all x'd off that features zombie hands rising from the grave...

Excessium
31-Dec-2006, 03:33 AM
I thought the point of showing him eating for 45 secs was to show that things were in balance. The laughing breaks that apart, revealing something is not right. I thought the short was really good. IMHO, the ending with the gun having no bullets would have been empty. The guy obviously knew he was going to kill himself. For the most part, suicide is planned. If he knew he didn't have bullets, he would have know before he pointed the gun to his head.

I guess I have thought about that scenerio at some point in my life. Killing myself quickly to avoid being torn apart by zombies. Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with zombie survival. :)

By the way, great job, I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the good work./applaud

N2NOther
31-Dec-2006, 03:38 AM
the ending with the gun having no bullets would have been empty. The guy obviously knew he was going to kill himself. For the most part, suicide is planned. If he knew he didn't have bullets, he would have know before he pointed the gun to his head.

Precisely.

I guess I have thought about that scenerio at some point in my life. Killing myself quickly to avoid being torn apart by zombies. Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with zombie survival. :)

My girlfriend said she'd let herself get bit so she would turn rather than get eaten.

By the way, great job, I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the good work./applaud

Thank you very much.

ngm231
31-Dec-2006, 06:29 AM
very nice i liked it alot