PDA

View Full Version : PHANTASM - My outstanding theory

The Alive Man
11-Dec-2006, 10:05 PM
No more continuity errors.

There's no more need to appeal to the lame, dull and pointless "It'all a dream in Mike's head" scenario in order to "fix" or "unflubbing" the continuity errors scattered throughout the series.

Everything is on the table: the end of 'PHANTASM I'; the double-crossed beginnings of 'PHANTASM II'; the mysteriously-reloaded weapons in 'PHANTASM III: LORD OF THE DEAD'; the time travelling and ambivalent conclusion in 'PHANTASM IV: OBLIVION'.

Everything finally explained:

When in 'PHANTASM I' Mike, Jody and Reggie disrupted the quantical vibration of the interdimensional gateway (the diapason/giant tuning fork), they somewhat caused a periodical 'glitch' in the fabric of the continuum.
The sonic interference made Tall Man's house/lair disappear and thus damaged the reality, turning it into an highly unstable "tissue", often subjected to re-arrangements: basically, from this point Mike and Reggie's timeline will always be periodically shocked by the glitches which re-write the continuity of the events -----> As named in the comics world, 'RET-CONNING' (retroactive continuity, see Wikipedia if you aren't a comic geek).

So in the end, Reggie died (he was stabbed in the belly), but the first glitch caused him to "live" and not remember anything, because the event itself was ret-conned: manipulated; changed; altered; deformed forever. Basically he was never stabbed in the reality subsequent to the first glitch.

The second glitch happened at the very end of the movie. JODY died in the same car accident which killed Mike's parents many years ago. It did *NOT* happen this way in the original reality ----> but the past has been altered by the quantical wave of instability (AGAIN!)

And so on, on, on and on.

Bottom line: the reality of the 'PHANTASM' series has been seriously damaged to the point IT IS SUBMITTED TO RET-CONNING OF PAST EVENTS. EVERYWHILE.

The Tall Man knows about the glitches, of course, but can't do anything to stop them. He is aware of them courtesy of his "interdimensional" nature (he's in part an alien machine, bestowed with the technology which caused the glitches to begin with) and so is Mike, who is able to remember (he's the Tall Man counterpart).

The Alive Man

capncnut
11-Dec-2006, 10:19 PM
I am warming to you Alive Man, for once your Retcon bulls**t has served you well (let's face it, ANYTHING could be going on with the Phantasm series). All I wanna know is this, what the f**k happened at the end of Oblivion? What kind of ending is that man? :confused:

"I'll be sittin' here till midnight, and I'll be sittin' here till noon..."

HLS
11-Dec-2006, 10:55 PM
I am warming to you Alive Man, for once your Retcon bulls**t has served you well (let's face it, ANYTHING could be going on with the Phantasm series). All I wanna know is this, what the f**k happened at the end of Oblivion? What kind of ending is that man? :confused:

"I'll be sittin' here till midnight, and I'll be sittin' here till noon..."

I would love to see the series remade

capncnut
11-Dec-2006, 10:59 PM
No more remakes please. I am all remaked out! :lol:

coma
11-Dec-2006, 11:40 PM
And noone could replave the big bald guy
so dont try it!

Eyebiter
11-Dec-2006, 11:54 PM
The Phantasm story is being continued in comic books

http://www.phantasm.com/comic/comicmain.html

http://www.phantasm.com/graphics/comicsm.jpg

Chaos
12-Dec-2006, 02:16 AM
I loved the first three Phantasms. I didn't care for OvblIVion too much though. Don Cascarelli's first three were pure genius. I've been waiting forever for the second and third Phantasms to come out on DVD. I have the first and fourth one.

Have you been to the official site? The synopsis for the fifth one sounds awesome. The Tallman finally manages to take over the world and the planet is like a waste land. He's turning the Earth into something that resembles his own world. Mike and Reggie are hiding out in a walled city and leading a small band of resistance fighters and still driving that hot ass Plymouth Barracuda.

Cykotic
12-Dec-2006, 08:42 AM
The Alive Man: That made no sense what so ever!!!

capncnut
12-Dec-2006, 01:49 PM
The synopsis for the fifth one sounds awesome. The Tallman finally manages to take over the world and the planet is like a waste land. He's turning the Earth into something that resembles his own world. Mike and Reggie are hiding out in a walled city and leading a small band of resistance fighters and still driving that hot ass Plymouth Barracuda.

Sounds amazing, I'm gonna have to check that out.

Danny
13-Dec-2006, 11:18 PM
The Alive Man: That made no sense what so ever!!!

i gotta concure, whats with all these alternate dimension threads lately?

coma
14-Dec-2006, 12:49 AM
i gotta concure, whats with all these alternate dimension threads lately?
Don;t you get it?
They are OUTSTANDING!!

All you small men with your stupid minds
You're stupid
STUPID!

Danny
14-Dec-2006, 12:50 AM
oh i know, phantasm kicks ass, but i never have the tenner for that sweet ass sphere dvd set when i reach HMV.

DAMN YOUSE GAMESTATION!!

Cykotic
14-Dec-2006, 07:18 PM
HMV in Newcastle keeps selling out of those sets whenever I get there...

capncnut
14-Dec-2006, 07:40 PM
phantasm kicks ass, but i never have the tenner for that sweet ass sphere dvd set when i reach HMV.

A tenner? I paid 25 quid for it! :mad:

Danny
14-Dec-2006, 08:16 PM
you gotta wait for the sales man, everythings like a tenner in HMV right now.

cept the asian cinema in the "world cinema" section they allway put those dvds in at £20 each. friggin rip-off merchants:mad:

capncnut
15-Dec-2006, 02:21 AM
cept the asian cinema in the "world cinema" section they allway put those dvds in at £20 each. friggin rip-off merchants:mad:

Too friggin' right Hellz, I'll be damned if I'm paying 22 quid for The Magnificent Butcher with Sammo Hung.

coma
15-Dec-2006, 04:45 AM
Too friggin' right Hellz, I'll be damned if I'm paying 22 quid for The Magnificent Butcher with Sammo Hung.
I liked that movie. Sammo is awesome but 22 quid is too much
at least I guess it is
I have no idea what a quid is worth.:D

Danny
15-Dec-2006, 08:56 AM
a 20 quid dvd would cost you around 40 bucks.

capncnut
15-Dec-2006, 12:04 PM
HMV is a strange kettle of fish really, I have no idea who's in charge of pricing their s**t but they need a slap nonetheless. For example, Sonny Chiba's Street Fighter boxed set is £9.99 where the Lone Wolf box set is £39.99. What a joke! :mad:

coma
15-Dec-2006, 05:45 PM
HMV is a strange kettle of fish really, I have no idea who's in charge of pricing their s**t but they need a slap nonetheless. For example, Sonny Chiba's Street Fighter boxed set is £9.99 where the Lone Wolf box set is £39.99. What a joke! :mad:

Lone wolf is better, but that is still way overpriced. You can get Streetfighter, erturn of and sister street fighter for a dollar each here.

40 bucks for a single DVD?
Thats NUTS!