PDA

View Full Version : Monster Island

deadwrtr
20-Mar-2006, 06:29 PM
I pre-ordered this book a while ago after having kept up with the online part for long time. The book is a whole different monster.

While the story is essentially the same, following the online portion was at times trying. It was easy to forget which part you had read last, and wasted valuable time jumping around trying to find the next section. With the book, as long as you have a book mark, viola. Certain things have been updated, small references, continuity. This is the first of three books, next is Monster Nation and followed up by Monster Planet.

It's an excellent story, and I believe S. King should have given props to David Wellington, author of Monster Island for several ideas. I saw definite correlation in what King wrote, and what Wellington has been slaving away at for a long time.

His website is http://www.thirteenbullets.com and if you have been enjoying the online series, support him by buying the book.

You won't regret it.

Tullaryx
22-Mar-2006, 03:23 PM
I myself have this book on pre-order. It's weird how I suddenly start finding all these zombie-based novels on Amazon when just a couple years ago when I really was looking for them I couldn't find them.

deadwrtr
22-Mar-2006, 03:34 PM
I myself have this book on pre-order. It's weird how I suddenly start finding all these zombie-based novels on Amazon when just a couple years ago when I really was looking for them I couldn't find them.

Be sure to request the chapbook he is offering for pre-orders. If you order before April, you can get it. I got mine, and it has a lot of little short stories that didn't make it into the main meat of the story. It has background on Noseless, original artwork. It's .pdf, but very cool. Plus, it's free.

AcesandEights
16-Feb-2007, 01:59 PM
I just devoured this book in a few days over the work week. Good read, even if I thought one or two things were a stretch, the writer decided on a path and followed through well. A nice, well put together story, for the most part.

Fleshmunch
17-Feb-2007, 01:46 AM
SPOILER WARNING!

I read Monster Island for free online. I thought it was a little far-fetched in its premise but well-written. The one intelligent zombie guy (a doctor who experimented on himself to see if he would stay smart after becoming a zombie) I liked. Things were going good until it turned out the zombies were caused by a telepathic Scottish bog mummy at a museum. The book lost all credibility for me right there and I screamed "WHAT! THIS SUCKS!" so loud my girlfriend thought I got fired over the phone again. LOL

Seriously, don't waste your time with it unless you think psychic mummies are cool. It's just like The Stand or Swan Song, only with zombies. Could have been good if the writer hadn't wimped out and tried to be different for the sake of being different. Everybody wants to change zombies to be more extreme or else explain them and that is almost always a guaranteed trip to Suck City. It's like when the Goths took over vampires and made them all lame and angsty...