PDA

View Full Version : Thank You for Smoking - Cool film.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Dec-2006, 10:49 AM
Here is a film that fopllows Nick Naylor, washington lobbyist for Big Tobacco. Nick has a delicate balance to hold... One, encourage people that smoking is ok, don't listen to people... don't be a sheep find out for yourself. Two, be a role model for his 12 year old son.

Nick is at a turning point in his career, he isn't a lawyer or doctor, he holds no phD or Master's but in his words he has a Bachelors in kicking ass and taking names. This movie follows the recent downfall of big tobacco. Just before the huge lawsuits, right about the time anti-smoking became the fad. Whats great about this movie is that it doesn't promote smoking it promotes choice... reminding the viewer that if you live in america it is your right to choose, not be told what to do.

A stellar cast from William Macey to Maria Bello grace this 90 minute political satire and when it is all over and done with you want another viewing because the material is just fantastic. A smell Oscar buzz on this film. Do yourself a favor, even if you're not a smoker and love a lot of satire pick up Thank You For Smoking... now available on DVD.

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2006, 11:57 AM
*gol* right in the middle of responding and the bloody computer freezes!!! :mad:

Anyway, I got to check this flick out t'other week and it was rather good, and aye, I'm a non-smoker so even I enjoyed it. It's just a shame that the anti-smoking people in the movie didn't have at least one decent character, they were all dickheads in the film, which the pro-smokers had a mix of dickheads and people who receive audience sympathy.

I like the idea of the "merchants of death" (alcohol, tobacco and firearms) getting together now and then for a dinner date. :lol:

It's a good flick, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out, definately for satire-lovers.

bassman
12-Dec-2006, 01:32 PM
(talking to young school students)
"My point is that you have to think for yourself. If your parents told you that chocolate was dangerous would you take their word for it?"

("no...")

"Exactly! So perhaps instead of acting like sheep when it comes to cigarettes you should find out for yourself. "
:D

Yeah, good movie. Looks like Jason Reitman might be able to follow in his father's footsteps quite easily.

zombie04
12-Dec-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, good movie. Looks like Jason Reitman might be able to follow in his father's footsteps quite easily.

I hope he does, except not making movies like Evolution and My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

It's just a shame that the anti-smoking people in the movie didn't have at least one decent character, they were all dickheads in the film, which the pro-smokers had a mix of dickheads and people who receive audience sympathy.

I like the idea of the "merchants of death" (alcohol, tobacco and firearms) getting together now and then for a dinner date. :lol:

It's a good flick, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out, definately for satire-lovers.

I think the point was there are dickheads on both sides, Nick could just spin it so people would like one side over the other. And I recommend the book too, there's a lot more happening with the merchants of death and his boss.

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, the pro-smoking side had both ends of the spectrum - dickheads and goodies. But the anti-smoking side seemed, to me, to just be populated by dickheads and weaklings ... I felt a bit unrepresented as I'm anti-smoking, but I'm not a dickhead weakling about it, I just don't want someone else's smoke blown in my face/on my clothes/on my skin, nor do I wish to stand in a pile of soggy fag butts at the bus stop.

Take the British translation of that last statement, because I'm sure the American version is hilarious/weird. :lol:

coma
13-Dec-2006, 04:12 PM
nor do I wish to stand in a pile of soggy fag butts at the bus stop.

Take the British translation of that last statement, because I'm sure the American version is hilarious/weird. :lol:
I figure you standat the bus stop like the Frank Frazetta Conan book cover painting on a mountain of naked gay ass in the rain holding you sword

uuuuuuu
Spoooge:dead:

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2006, 05:42 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

With an added slice of roflpie...

That's the funniest thing I've read all day ... and yes, it's exactly like that, but only on weekends. The rest of the time I'm whinging about sticky, yellow, damp ciggie filters clinging to my shoes.

Awwwyyuuuhh ... Ben Affleck's spoooooodge! :eek:

DjfunkmasterG
05-Mar-2007, 04:17 PM
I just showed this Movie to LouCIpherr the other day and he loved it. So if a Global Warming non believer can laugh at a Political Satire about smoking then we all can laugh at it. :p :p :D

MinionZombie
05-Mar-2007, 05:48 PM
I laughed at TYFS, quite heartily, and I'm very anti-smoking (except for 'da weed' - there's a point to weed, but smoking is pointless), and yet I found it hilarious ... perhaps a little one-sided when it came to the sort of people on the anti-faggin' wagon in the film (they all seemed to be a bunch of uptight dicks I felt).

And speaking of Global Warming, there's a documentary I'm looking forward to being shown on Thursday on Channel 4 here in the UK, it challenges the idea that we are to blame for global warming, or at least to the extent the doom-sayers preach we are - that'll be very interesting to see. There's another on tonight about Labour's attempts to save humanity (what else is new? another headline grabbing load of sh*te from them), I might check that out, because Labour's answer to saving the planet is taxing everyone - i.e. they profit monetarily from a new craze/moral panic - which just goes to show they've got f*ck all interest in the environment.

If you were truly interested in helping the planet you'd be spending money, not making money. :mad:

Anyway, TYFS was a rockin' film.

coma
05-Mar-2007, 06:24 PM
I laughed at TYFS, quite heartily, and I'm very anti-smoking (except for 'da weed' - there's a point to weed, but smoking is pointless), and yet I found it hilarious ... perhaps a little one-sided when it came to the sort of people on the anti-faggin' wagon in the film (they all seemed to be a bunch of uptight dicks I felt).

I would point out, from my perspective, they often seem to be uptight dicks. Like when they are 20 yeards from you, see you smoking and still fake cough and wave their hands like they can smell it when they cant. Or when people say they are allergic (fraudulently) as an excuse to control you. Or when they try to stop you by haranguing in you own house.
Or when I had a dr go off on me very harshly about smoking and I ran into him later having a smoke(Yup). I went over to him and asked for a light.

Everywhere you go smokers are portrayed as obnoxious slaves that need to be controlled and badgered and anti smoking are upright citizens. The film did'nt need to really show both sides because everyone already knows the anti smoking position because you hear it all damn day long.

I believe many anti smoking activists are insincere. They just want to use it as a means to control. Like politicians. They could give a sh*t if you live or die. They just want to accumulate avenues of control, eroding all of your choicesm until you have none.

MinionZombie
05-Mar-2007, 08:48 PM
Well I most definitely am not one of those hand waving, deliberate coughers.

If I'm in someone's house and they're a smoker, hey - I'm the guest, I've got f*ck all say in the matter.

I'm actually working with a guy at the moment on a project and he smokes, but without us exchanging smoking-related "are you? do you? do you mind?" style etiquette he's pretty considerate with his smoking so that it doesn't affect me.

I think the arrogance is on both sides with some people from both camps. You get some smokers who bluster about it being just like alcohol - but alcohol isn't passive - and that's the key.

Besides, booze gets you drunk - there's a point to it, like smoking weed gets you all chilled out and relaxed - there's a point to it. Smoking ... what does that give you?

You get hooked for some strange reason, it makes you smell, affects your teeth, skin, hair, breath, lungs and wallet. It's just seems completely pointless to me, and I've heard smokers express the same sentiment, but they're addicted so they're screwed.

That's not me bashing you over the head demonising you for smoking, just expressing my thoughts.

Just had an interesting thought - with all this global warming twittering going on, how much of an affect do you think smoking has had on the environment? :sneaky:

LouCipherr
06-Mar-2007, 12:25 AM
I just showed this Movie to LouCIpherr the other day and he loved it. So if a Global Warming non believer can laugh at a Political Satire about smoking then we all can laugh at it. :p :p :D

:lol: :finger: :D

Yes, I loved the movie. At first I didn't think I was going to like it, but Dj insisted we watch it. Worth every minute. One of the better movies i've seen over the past few years.

Danny
06-Mar-2007, 10:27 AM
I figure you standat the bus stop like the Frank Frazetta Conan book cover painting on a mountain of naked gay ass in the rain holding you sword

uuuuuuu
Spoooge:dead:

ive been waiting for a pst to use this on.:D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/roflcopter.jpg

coma
06-Mar-2007, 06:52 PM
ive been waiting for a pst to use this on.:D

:lol::lol::p

capncnut
06-Mar-2007, 08:33 PM