PDA

View Full Version : Spoilerific SAW III observations...

MinionZombie
13-Dec-2006, 11:32 AM
Like I said, there be spoilers ahead...

Okay, so I finally checked out Saw III last night and I have to say I rather liked it. Much better than Saw II, but obviously Saw I was the best of the movies. I've followed the franchise since it started and I like the style of them (mind you, the shaky-cut-too-often camera/editing work of Saw III did get a bit annoying after a while, especially in some scenes where you're trying to figure out what happened because what you're seeing is so confused).

Now, I love a good lashing of cinematic gore n violence like any other horror fan, but blimey, if there's some truth in people actually fainting in the cinemas while watching this flick, I wouldn't be too surprised.

The 'twisting rack' (instead of stretching rack) made me flinch rather abruptly when the bone in the guy's right leg burst and snapped through the flesh. Also, the liquified rotting pig tank sequence was rather gross and wince-inducing.

What I did really like though, was the connections to the first two movies that were made - to find out that the whole series of events were part of Shawnee Smith's character's test was a neat angle. It was great to see more of the 'making of' the events we saw in Saw I in Saw III - also very cool they got Leigh Whanell to appear on-screen again as his character, as well as Donnie Wahlberg.

I wanted to know what the hell happened to their characters, and thankfully they showed us - Amanda killed them! She didn't follow the rules ... tisk tisk, naughty naughty.

Still though - what of Dr Gordon? He hacked his foot off and crawled off ... but what happened to him?

Aye, if you're into these sort of films, check it out, if you're a fan of Saw I and were a bit let down by the cardboard-cut-out-character-driven events of Saw II, then you'll most likely be pleasantly (to stretch the word to it's very limits) surprised by Saw III.

Hopefully they don't bother with Saw IV, because it wraps up nicely at the end of Saw III ... but, as usual, they put a slice of pie in there to suggest a fourth movie could be made ... but, with Jigsaw seemingly dead (you never know, he's a slippy bugger) and the same for Amanda, how can you make a fourth movie out of it? Better off leaving it the way they did.

Anyway, utterly gross and it left me somewhat troubled before bed (a good dose of the Jack Bauer Power Hour helped though), but it was rather good. I might even get the DVD (have the first, didn't bother with the second, which I *ahem* you know).

capncnut
13-Dec-2006, 12:29 PM
Sounds interesting MZ. I got the first two but I was a little put off when I read the synopsis for III. Mmm, looks like I gotta make another call to my Chinese DVD pusher. :lol:

bassman
13-Dec-2006, 01:05 PM
I saw the first and quite enjoyed it. As soon as I saw the trailer for "Saw II", I knew how it would all unfold. The trailer completely gave it away and it was quite predictable. I still haven't seen "II" and I know i'm right....

It's the "he helped me" lady from the first one. The one with the "reverse bear trap". She's helping Jigsaw. Pretty obvious from the ads.:rolleyes:

So yeah....that's why I don't give a damn about "II" or "III". They turn one out every year, for f*ck's sake. Only the first one is worth it, in my eyes. They'll just get worse and worse each year.