PDA

View Full Version : Completely random Dawn 2004 observation ...

Cereval
16-Dec-2006, 06:20 PM
I just popped it into my DVD player and noticed something peculiar and yet so blindly obvious that I'm almost embarassed to point it out now almost 3 years after first seeing the film. There are the commonly noticed homages to the original throughout the film such as the Gaylen Ross store, the BP trucks and, of course, the WGON chopper flying through the frame.

I saw something a few minutes ago that I never heard anyone mention (apologies if you saw it 3 years ago) ... but did you notice that in the opening shot on the zoom out from the skull x-ray, there are a few frames that bear striking resemblance to the original cover art for 1978 version (Airport zombie head on the horizon)?

http://www.preciousnightmare.com/files/dawn04homage.gif

A nice touch, I thought. :thumbsup:

P.S. - As I was typing this out I noticed something else ... I think I may be going crazy ... during the intro, just as Johnny Cash says "the hair" from (the hairs on your arm will stand up) for 2 frames the image of the reporter's head distorts with a slice through the top of his head ... helicopter zombie??? :eek:

Bongholio
16-Dec-2006, 06:29 PM
I had pointed that out in the past `senor I even had an avatar of his
hair "standing up" :lol:
I won't bet money but it's probably more a reference to the lyrics than any presumption of a "homage to 78" because it happens perfectly in synch with the music almost.

zombiefriend
16-Dec-2006, 07:11 PM
hah! i never thought of that. so i guess.....youre not the only one then! :D

Maitreya
18-Dec-2006, 01:53 AM
I always thought the first few frames of dawn '04 looked exactly like the intro to Dawn '78, the shot of red at the very very beginning, except in '78 it pans out to the news station and '04 to the X ray

capncnut
18-Dec-2006, 02:48 AM
Damn, that skull does bear a resemblance to the poster.

EvilNed
18-Dec-2006, 11:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the skull and the poster don't exactly look that much alike? :p

Bongholio
18-Dec-2006, 09:14 PM
dug it up I needed to find some discs anyway
hah no image link for u
not enough posts,....

ash
28-Dec-2006, 08:52 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the skull and the poster don't exactly look that much alike? :p
How do you not see it? It's clear as day. There is a line across the bottom quarter of the image, an the head is in the same position.

EvilNed
28-Dec-2006, 08:53 PM
How do you not see it? It's clear as day. There is a line across the bottom quarter of the image, an the head is in the same position.

Actually the line in the Dawn cover art is just below the eyes. Personally, I don't see much of a resemblence, but hey it appears that it's just me. :p

Danny
29-Dec-2006, 02:58 AM
nah i gotta agree it aint too similar, that said the first 15 minutes of that film were awesome and its opening was better than the origional dawns opening, shame about the rest of the movie, oh well, 'when the man comes around' goes well on my 360 when i play dead rising:D

just thought id add it, and yknow the longer its gotten since its release the more i like the dawn remake, even more than land i think, so heres some jhonny cash :lol:

9SQJLiYrfV8

EvilNed
29-Dec-2006, 03:46 PM
Man. I gotta get Dead Rising to play it just with that song on.

Mutineer
29-Dec-2006, 06:09 PM
nah i gotta agree it aint too similar, that said the first 15 minutes of that film were awesome and its opening was better than the origional dawns opening, shame about the rest of the movie, oh well, 'when the man comes around' goes well on my 360 when i play dead rising:D

just thought id add it, and yknow the longer its gotten since its release the more i like the dawn remake, even more than land i think, so heres some jhonny cash :lol:

9SQJLiYrfV8

Here here !

Dawn 04's opening blew me away (and i did not see the USA Network PREVIEW)

Sure, the film stumbles a few times but what a bunch of fun it is. Good times. The first true action / zombie film and finally.

Danny
30-Dec-2006, 01:16 AM
aye even gereorge himself said the first 15 minutes or so were great but damn, you know the writer got bored when they had an a team construction montage'.
the opening is one of the best zombie openings i think to be bad that vid didnt have the next 5 minutes when the woman made her escape up to the crash that was awesome.

coma
30-Dec-2006, 04:12 PM
I thought it was great unril the lady's (whatever her name is) zombie husband ran after her car at what must have been 40 mph.
If the film was about Andy the gun store guy it would've been way better. Thats original. Dotd 04 boils down to
great look
great fx
Crap characterization
Annoying cliches, macguffins and red herrings like A girls shoe falling off in a 50s horror film.

When I was a kid and I saw NOTLD, the thing that let me know right away that it was different was when Barbara is getting chased in the cemetary, she falls down. Rather than scream and wait to die like every other movie, she just takes her shoes off and keeps going like a real person. Before then, every woman in horror/Sci Fi/Crime would just stand there.

capncnut
30-Dec-2006, 06:03 PM
I thought Yawn 04 was great until The Stereophonics kicked in, after that it went downhill pretty fast.

Danny
31-Dec-2006, 03:44 AM
for me it was after she got out the car crash.

coincidently that was also the moment ving rhames showed up:sneaky:

Mutineer
31-Dec-2006, 06:04 PM
Dawn 04 is one of the more inspiring zombie films ever made.

It was slick, exciting and a fun tale of action and survivor horror. The characters, alhough not completely fleshed out (pun) were atleast entertaining on the surface. Despite the lack of a layered presentation you still get the sense these characters have a backstory

The opening is one of the best openings in any movie; period. Showing the neighborhood go to **** and Ana driving through a city in chaos is everything I have always wanted to show in a zombie film and something no one has done before with any success

Andy and Ving having a connection was a great idea; with them communicating from roof to roof and having Andy be stuck in a gun store is a great plot point

CJ: You know what, asshole? Either way we gotta get over there and get the guns to get out of the parking lot, OK?

The escape is done with more zombie geek fantasy than Romero's Dead Reckoning. These escape vehicles atleast have a plausibility factor and these little busses barreling though the cityscape is a fun ride. We get our gore in the 3rd act; Andy has one of the more impressive head-shots in cinema and the chainsaw landing on blondie is effin gross enough

-

In spite of everyone saying the characters were shallow; who didn't love Steve ? He is such an ass you almost lhave to like him. He says everything we all want to say, but never do.

When the bus topples over and he comes stumbling out of it and looks up and sees the zombie, who isn't caught up in the moment ?

What a drag, in the 3rd act they kill off the 3 best characters; CJ offs himself to save the others and who isn't bummed when we realize Michael has been bitten and is being left behind ?

-

And just when we think it is over; we get a little video footy in the end; nothing cooler than an ambiguous ending in a zombie film.

=

I always have thought that most people bag on Dawn purely for sake of George A Romero. They're geek purists who can't accept that Dawn 04 really does kick ass. GAR had a chance to redeem himself with LAND and just dropped the ball on the 1 yard line.

I not only find DAWN 04 to be one of the best zombie offerings we've seen but embrace it. We need more zombie films with this kind of ambition.

Cereval
01-Jan-2007, 04:34 PM
They're geek purists who can't accept that Dawn 04 really does kick ass. GAR had a chance to redeem himself with LAND and just dropped the ball on the 1 yard line.

Geek purists typically acknowledge that the Dawn remake was a great film - that's usually not the issue. Rather it's usually a question of the reimaging of the original film; the omittance of key elements that made the original Dawn of the Dead the film it was (plot factors, inherent themes, underlying commentary). The rebuttle of Dawn 04 purists seems to dog this factor continually. I'm just suggesting we be fair concerning these terms.

And as far as redemption is concerned ... I still find it amusing when this kind of phrasing is used about Romero - the half-century film veteran who invented this particular genre.

EvilNed
01-Jan-2007, 04:58 PM
In spite of everyone saying the characters were shallow; who didn't love Steve ? He is such an ass you almost lhave to like him. He says everything we all want to say, but never do.

I kinda hate Steve. Mostly because he's such a poor character. One second he's a coward, the next scene he's willing to leave the others behind and take only a gun with him? The guy is pure example of poor writing. He was just put in there so he could do something assholish every time the script needed it - wether or not it suited his character was beside the point.

Brubaker
02-Jan-2007, 12:31 AM
I kinda hate Steve. Mostly because he's such a poor character. One second he's a coward, the next scene he's willing to leave the others behind and take only a gun with him? The guy is pure example of poor writing. He was just put in there so he could do something assholish every time the script needed it - wether or not it suited his character was beside the point.

Steve seemed like a character placed in there only because people would really hate him and eventually get a kick out of seeing him killed. A lot like the one or two token "assholes" that used to infest the Jason Voorhes sequels. Honestly, Cooper was the same way in Night. I suppose the same could be said about Rhodes in Day but the thing is people who were enjoying the movie probably wanted to see what he would say or do next. In contrast, I'm sure that everybody just wanted Steve to die in Dawn 04.

ProfessorChaos
01-Feb-2007, 07:15 PM
I was watching Dawn '04 with the commentary on, and the director dude was talking about the locations and stores in the mall. He says that "Wooley's Diner" was named after Wooley from Dawn '78, who got "chomped by a zombie"....WTF? Last I recall, Peter blasted Wooley's guts out with his M-16 and no "zombies" ever touched Wooley! I know it's been said before, but how did this douche get the job of directing the remake of one of the greatest horror films of all time?!?! :mad:

He probably saw the original once, after a long night of taking it in the butt and huffing gasoline with a group of transvestite circus midgets. That guy is a total dildo and needs to be have his ignorant tongue ripped out of his stupid dick-licking mouth and shoved right up his self-righteous ass. :dead:

I still like this movie, but am starting to get mighty critical of those responsible for not allowing the movie to stand anywhere near the original. Seriously, I think anyone who is a member of this glorious site could have done a much better job.

By the way, the part of the commentary I am talking about is on the unrated DVD, about 18 mins and 05 secs into the movie.

EvilNed
01-Feb-2007, 07:24 PM
Steve seemed like a character placed in there only because people would really hate him and eventually get a kick out of seeing him killed. A lot like the one or two token "assholes" that used to infest the Jason Voorhes sequels. Honestly, Cooper was the same way in Night. I suppose the same could be said about Rhodes in Day but the thing is people who were enjoying the movie probably wanted to see what he would say or do next. In contrast, I'm sure that everybody just wanted Steve to die in Dawn 04.

Difference is that both Rhodes and Cooper made sense. Cooper didn't want his family to die. Rhodes didn't want his men to die. Steve didn't want to die, yet alot of his actions were just retarded and made no sense. For instance, escaping the bus without helping the others. A coward such as him? No, the writers just wanted to show Steve do something assholish.

ash
03-Feb-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Dawn 04 was freaking entertaining and worth buying. Nowhere near as good as the original, but the atmosphere and it's portrayal of the downfall of humanity are priceless. While I didn't feel any real attatchment to any of the characters save Andy and Chips, I still wanted to see them all survive. While I dislike the zombies running through the ENTIRE movie, I have to admit that it has better short-term scare value. The gore and action were extremely well-done, and it had good sound design.

On the subject of Steve, he was always an asshole. He never really got any more brave or helpful. He IS the character we love to hate, but he is also a source of comic relief. ("Well, Deadish". So funny.) I agree that he seemed a bit unbalanced, and I expected him to pull a big character change like Peter did at the end of Dawn 78 where he is about to kill himself, but the heroic music plays and he fights his way to the roof.

I also think that it does deserve it's title as a "reimagining", because it shares much with the original concept-wise. Note that GAR was attempting to show both the human condition and the end of modern civilization. This "remake" shows this effectively, though the downfall of humanity falls much more in place than the human condition part.

P.S. I happen to be a GAR diehard myself, but I can still appreciate a good film.

Brubaker
07-Feb-2007, 10:18 PM
Since Michael seemed to know he was bitten and doomed to die, perhaps he could have sacrificed himself instead of C.J.

I own both the unrated version and the theatrical cut (found that version on vhs for $2 and watched it the other night). They are both worth viewing, if you were a fan of the movie. The theatrical cut does move a little bit faster and a lot of the missing footage isn't necessary.

capncnut
09-Feb-2007, 03:50 AM
Yeah, the theatrical version is way better than the director's cut - it's shorter. :D

Brubaker
09-Feb-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the theatrical version is way better than the director's cut - it's shorter. :D

:eek:

"B-B-Bu-Bu-Buh-Buh-But-But........"

Synopsis:

*Brubaker gapes at the screen in disbelief. His mouth moves to form an argument but it quickly closes again.*

bassman
09-Feb-2007, 10:08 PM

I prefer the shortest cut of them all......the trailer.

Brubaker
11-Feb-2007, 02:53 AM
I think I will slink out of this thread now and hope it gradually slips to page 2, then page 3, then............:dead:

Yojimbo
15-Mar-2007, 02:14 AM
And as far as redemption is concerned ... I still find it amusing when this kind of phrasing is used about Romero - the half-century film veteran who invented this particular genre.

Well said. Here, here!

Mutineer
21-Mar-2007, 12:55 AM
Gar invented the genre but his reign ended a long time ago. He had his chance to empathetically slam down the ultimate vision with Land and gave us as much substance as ass on a stick.

He almost single handedly killed the very genre he birthed.

-

Dawn 04 stands on it's own two feet while bringing a fresh take on the subject matter. Pitting the two films against each other (78 and 04) is moot and nothing but fanboy banter.

-

Anyone saying Dawn sucked is full of crap and only trying to protect GAR's version. Well don't ! They're two different worlds.

coma
21-Mar-2007, 01:05 AM
nothing but fanboy banter.
But.. thats why Im here!

Anyone saying Dawn sucked is full of crap and only trying to protect GAR's version. Well don't ! They're two different worlds.
I didnt think it sucked. I thought the writing sucked and it had all the depth of a Velveeta sandwhich, but it was fun when people werent talking or when Zombies werent flying:moon:

Mutineer
21-Mar-2007, 03:41 AM
But.. thats why Im here!

Me too :D

I didnt think it sucked. I thought the writing sucked and it had all the depth of a Velveeta sandwhich, but it was fun when people werent talking or when Zombies werent flying:moon:

:lol:

capncnut
22-Mar-2007, 09:17 AM
Anyone saying Dawn sucked is full of crap and only trying to protect GAR's version.
Er nope, just telling it like it is. Ill admit (for the 100th time) that Yawn 04 was okay at the theater but way below par on dvd. I didn't care about one single character in that movie because they were all soulless assholes. An erratic script with flashy digital camerawork, nothing more.

(Zack Snyder) probably saw the original once, after a long night of taking it in the butt and huffing gasoline with a group of transvestite circus midgets.
That could well be the case Prof as I don't even think he saw the movie. I reckon he just read the original script, kept the mall and the dog and threw everything else out. :confused:

coma
22-Mar-2007, 07:09 PM
Er nope, just telling it like it is. Ill admit (for the 100th time) that Yawn 04 was okay at the theater but way below par on dvd. I didn't care about one single character in that movie because they were all soulless assholes. An erratic script with flashy digital camerawork, nothing more.

That could well be the case Prof as I don't even think he saw the movie. I reckon he just read the original script, kept the mall and the dog and threw everything else out. :confused:
That girl and her dog was strait out of the 1950s school of girls shoe falls off, she is paralyzed hysterical with fear (cause they are the weaker sex) and wait prone screaming to die.

A true genius would just have her take her shoe off and keep running. Like in NOTLD:D

The telegraphing of the girls actions was hamhanded and thats generous "She lost everyone. All she has is a mangy dog" Boo hoo. Craaaaap.

having to say "Not that one, the 70s one" for the rest of my life is something I will never forgive

capncnut
23-Mar-2007, 01:04 PM
Having to say "Not that one, the 70s one" for the rest of my life is something I will never forgive
Unfortunately it's a comment that is often said about most films nowdays.

Brubaker
06-Apr-2007, 03:20 AM
That girl and her dog was strait out of the 1950s school of girls shoe falls off, she is paralyzed hysterical with fear (cause they are the weaker sex) and wait prone screaming to die.

A true genius would just have her take her shoe off and keep running. Like in NOTLD:D

The telegraphing of the girls actions was hamhanded and thats generous "She lost everyone. All she has is a mangy dog" Boo hoo. Craaaaap.

having to say "Not that one, the 70s one" for the rest of my life is something I will never forgive

The runaway nature of the "storytelling" (tsk tsk) also didn't give much insight to her relationship with that kid security guard. The camera pans to his face for a second when she is sobbing, I think, and it later shows them together looking at a telescope. Then boom, they are "in a relationship" or something.

coma
06-Apr-2007, 05:42 PM
The runaway nature of the "storytelling" (tsk tsk) also didn't give much insight to her relationship with that kid security guard. The camera pans to his face for a second when she is sobbing, I think, and it later shows them together looking at a telescope. Then boom, they are "in a relationship" or something.
I thought it was OK in the theatre but as soon as I left and startd talking about ti there was no "That part with the blah blah was awesome" , it was "That was stupid and didnt make sense"
It was like eating a reasonably tasty meal and minutes later getting explosive diarrhea.:eek::lol:

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 07:32 AM
I dont really think the skull and the poster were that similar but there were many hommages to previous GAR movies IMHO like when Sarah Polley plunked her car down and slammed into a tree very NOTLD... and when Mekkhi Pfeiffer was checking for zombies when they first got to the mall and this anorexic looking zomb plunks against the window and kinda slides across... looked a lot like one from the NOTLD remake too.

acealive1
04-Jul-2007, 07:52 AM
i want a REAL remake of dawn!!:mad:

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 07:54 AM
okay start holding your breath :)

zombieslayer
04-Jul-2007, 02:29 PM
I just popped it into my DVD player and noticed something peculiar and yet so blindly obvious that I'm almost embarassed to point it out now almost 3 years after first seeing the film. There are the commonly noticed homages to the original throughout the film such as the Gaylen Ross store, the BP trucks and, of course, the WGON chopper flying through the frame.

I saw something a few minutes ago that I never heard anyone mention (apologies if you saw it 3 years ago) ... but did you notice that in the opening shot on the zoom out from the skull x-ray, there are a few frames that bear striking resemblance to the original cover art for 1978 version (Airport zombie head on the horizon)?

http://www.preciousnightmare.com/files/dawn04homage.gif

A nice touch, I thought. :thumbsup:

P.S. - As I was typing this out I noticed something else ... I think I may be going crazy ... during the intro, just as Johnny Cash says "the hair" from (the hairs on your arm will stand up) for 2 frames the image of the reporter's head distorts with a slice through the top of his head ... helicopter zombie??? :eek:
if you look close to the restraunts, you will see another mention to the org. dawn. there's a restraunt called wooly's diner.(he was the s.w.a.t. member shot by peter in 107 apt. complex.) you have to look real close.

darth los
04-Jul-2007, 06:50 PM
if you look close to the restraunts, you will see another mention to the org. dawn. there's a restraunt called wooly's diner.(he was the s.w.a.t. member shot by peter in 107 apt. complex.) you have to look real close.

Damn you guys are good. You should do analysis for the c.i.a. or something.