PDA

View Full Version : So, this place is deader than a nun's sex life.

Ed Poe
18-Dec-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey, I'm a long-term lurker on these boards (I used to love the old loom fiction board), so I'm pretty disappointed to see that this "new" board isn't all that lively.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is up for a good ole group project, or a little fiction competition? I reckon that could kick start the place and create some sort of spark again!

For such a great fiction site, the discussion board sure as Hell sucks!

kortick
18-Dec-2006, 05:10 PM
yes ed you are right

a few of us were discussing the sad state of this forum

and if anyone has any suggestions on how to bring it back to
its glory

let us know

lets not let the fic section die off so pitifully

nevillethurmond
22-Dec-2006, 06:16 PM
Couldn't agree more, thought I'd found a welcoming place to get some much needed feedback of my little story thats developing (STORM OF THE DEAD #1 and #2) - any reply even if people hate it is better than no reply at all.

Oh well...

:)

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2006, 06:21 PM
Different segments of the forum go through 'fits and starts' of activity, as the fiction section is generally more on the 'niche' side (kind of like the filmmaker forum), then at times things can get a bit slow, but it's always only temporary.

Also, December is a busy month with work and Xmas approaching.

Deadman_Deluxe
23-Dec-2006, 12:01 AM
I just wrote this ... what do you think?

coma
23-Dec-2006, 12:04 AM

too much unneccasary detail:D

Danny
23-Dec-2006, 12:10 AM

i do believe your trying to get at us with the political undertones about the decline of the textile industry, but thats just me.

that sounds like something youd here froma guy wearing a bere a goatee and a bong in his hand.:lol:

coma
23-Dec-2006, 12:14 AM
i do believe your trying to get at us with the political undertones about the decline of the textile industry, but thats just me.

that sounds like something youd here froma guy wearing a bere a goatee and a bong in his hand.:lol:
I read that somewhere once
I wrote it down, then I read it
arf arf arf:rolleyes:

HLS
23-Dec-2006, 02:14 AM
i think everything is just fine here. And the lirkers should un-lurk more often :)

fartpants
14-Apr-2007, 04:30 PM
this forum is still cool:D :D :D

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2007, 06:23 PM
lol, whatchu doin' fartpants ... these threads are well old, they're so old these threads think flaired trousers are still in fashion! :p

Peaks and troughs, like I always say, peaks and troughs. Sometimes it's a hive of activity, sometimes it calms down a bit (people getting busy around about the same times of year - especially when this thread originated - around about Xmas).

Huescacho
14-Apr-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't know how was the Forum in 2.006, but now, I think that is wonderful!...:lol:

deadpunk
20-Apr-2007, 11:26 PM
lol, whatchu doin' fartpants ... these threads are well old, they're so old these threads think flaired trousers are still in fashion! :p

Peaks and troughs, like I always say, peaks and troughs. Sometimes it's a hive of activity, sometimes it calms down a bit (people getting busy around about the same times of year - especially when this thread originated - around about Xmas).

I disagree MZ. I think that the fiction discussion area has drastically declined since the move. Obviously it and the film maker forums are 'niche' by nature, but it seems that one has won over in place of the other.

To be honest, I feel that this is due, largely, to the current crop of fiction posters on site. :mad: It seems that most of these writers simply crank out stories like machines, with no regard for editing, content, or quality.

In the time of the loom forums, we had writers that would discuss their upcoming stories for literally months before they even submitted. Its become a matter of quantity over quality. :rockbrow: There is no discussion, no group effort, no collaboration left. I don't think half of the recent authors even have accounts on this forum.

Sad days for zombie fiction.

rightwing401
21-Apr-2007, 04:35 AM
You are right Deadpunk, the forum has become only a shadow of its former self. I can remember back when we would have at least one or two threads under constant discussion daily. It really is sad that there is no collaboration among old hams like us and the newer crop of writers.
But hey, if you're working on anything, post it and I'll give whatever constructive critisim I can.

Arcades057
22-Apr-2007, 12:22 AM
One of the reasons I've chosen to spend less time here (read, no time here) recently. I came here for the fiction, I stayed for the discussion. Now, with little fiction marshalling more than a disgruntled "humph" from me and no discussion at all, I've decided to move on to brighter pastures.

deadpunk
22-Apr-2007, 04:33 AM
Its pretty much the same for me.

childofgilead
23-Apr-2007, 07:52 AM
Honestly, I think it has alot to do with the 5 reads a week rule...to this day I still get the occasional e-mail about one of my older stories on here, so I know people still read...but me, no thanks...it's not so much that I've moved on, because I still have that one last story floating around on my hard drive...no, it's actually more a case of a website this huge, and guys, we all know that it's seen alot of visitors over the years, having a so many reads per, rule...

Let's face it...people write stories for people to read...if anybody says they only write for themselves, that's bunk...if that's the case, then why is it on a website or on a Borders bookshelf somewhere instead of in your nightstand drawer?

Writers write so people can read it...and honestly, putting a cap on how many stories you can read in a week is like hobbling a long distance runner and telling him to run a 5 minute mile...

Or I could just be full of my own crap, I don't know.

Exatreides
23-Apr-2007, 08:20 PM
Yea I agree, the 5 read limit has really hindered me. I think it's hindering the site.

deadpunk
25-Apr-2007, 02:28 AM
I honestly can't find blame in the limit(s) set on the fiction. You can only check out so many library books in one shot, yet they've managed to continue housing worthy reads.

I truly feel the quality of the fiction is in direct relation to the fact that authors no longer use the Fiction Discussion Forum. I remember a time when authors were in almost competition with each other on the boards, over who could post the best story. Now, it feels like a nameless game of who can post the most. Quantity over quality.

Is there really nothing left to discuss, or is it just a mad dash to the finishline, essentials of writing be hanged? If this is just a lull, why don't any of us forsee an end to it?

Hell, this type of prolonged lull makes me miss...*whispers*Grimstories...:shifty: At least that cat was good for starting a conversation. Sure, it generally turned into a ruckus, but at least the writers were communicating.

rightwing401
25-Apr-2007, 04:55 AM
I have to agree with deadpunk. I don't believe that it's the limit of stories that a person can read that has caused this. A lot of the old authors who used to post in here regularly have either left or just don't discuss on the fiction section forum anymore. I don't think that it's the material so much that's run out for us writers, I think that it's because a lot of us have been writing zombie fiction for so long that we tend to see everything as repetative.
It really is kind of sad, because I owe a lot of the writing skills I've developed from advice from more senior authors. And deadpunk is also kind of right about grimstories, he was definetly a prick, but he sure knew how to keep a thread going.

Exatreides
25-Apr-2007, 07:56 PM
Grim should never be brought back or ever considered a good thing in any way.

We have general horror and sci fi now. So Lets start throwing out some idea's for those puppies.

childofgilead
26-Apr-2007, 05:28 AM
That may be true DP, but honestly, I'm not interested in reading anything on here much anymore, because if it sucks, then I've used up a read...

So honestly, I'm not really qualified to say whether or not stories have slipped in quality, but based on some of the titles, I'm not interested in trying either.

I really don't understand why this site has a general horror and sci-fi section anyway to be honest...it's called Homepage of The Dead, not Homepage of a Little Bit of Everything...

Personally, real life intrudes and writing which has never been more than a hobby gets pushed aside...I know that I'll never publish and get paid for it, so I keep it in a place for fun and sometimes, I have to deal with the real stuff...you know, bills, relationships, all that fun stuff.

But honestly, let's face facts...zombies as a whole are getting rather overdone here as of late...everybody is remaking movies, just using the title so they can have some noteriety, but not really getting what made the originals so great in the first place...it's either just wanting to make a quick buck, or they think they have something important to say, which they really don't.

And yes, I honestly miss the fiction challenges...we had some good stories written, met some great people, but sadly, I feel the heyday of the fiction is past...it's hard to keep a balance of work, life and the pursuit of fun as you get older...

Maybe it's just getting harder to find our way into that dead world...or maybe, just maybe, some of us are afraid of not being able to get back out once we're in.:shifty:

deadpunk
26-Apr-2007, 06:09 AM
I miss the fiction challenges as well, Gil. The problem with those was that only about half of those that committed ever came through. ;)

As for the titles of the recent crop of fictions...yeah...:hurl: But, then again, Convenience Store of the Dead sounded awful to me, and was a surprisingly good read when the author emailed it to me.

As for LD Fic being stale... Well, any writer will feel confined if they stick to only one genre for so long. Look at King. He has been typed as a horror writer, yet anyone with half a brain can see that he wanders far from that staple in his writings.

I think the inclusion of non-LD writings was for Neil's own personal satisfaction. The guy is a professed Sci-Fi geek. Maybe, just maybe, even the administrator of homepageofthedead can grow weary of zombies after so long?

And, here's where I set myself up for crucifiction: I actually blame LAND for alot of what has transpired with the fiction (or lack thereof) on this site. The basic plot and feel of LAND was so mainstream, that it attracted a younger audience (hence less 'mature' visitors to the site). While I thought LAND was a fun movie, it certainly wasn't the brilliant masterpiece we had all been waiting for. When the quality of the inspiration falls, the subsequent fandom has to follow suit.

For me, finding the dead world has never been hard. I doubt it ever will be. Yet, finding the time...well, thats a whole other ball of wax.

childofgilead
26-Apr-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I have to agree with you about Land...after seeing all the eye candy that went with Dawn '04, I would have thought Romero would have been able to come up to that point, only with characters...well, I was disappointed...honestly, it just felt a little too self important...and it was far too short...the anorexic trend movies have taken chills me to the marrow sometimes...it's like we want ALL of our entertainment to be pre-packaged, sanitized for our protection and get us in and out in less than 2 hours because we have to go buy the newest Justin Timberlake abortion...

That's just my way of saying yeah, it was way too mainstream...I like Romero, but I'm not going to suck some guys left nut just because he's made some movies that I adore...yes, it was better than both RE movies, but really, is that so much of an accomplishment? What's so wrong with taking time to develop characters that we can actually give a hoot about before seeing them fall apart and make the mistake that gets them killed? Honestly, the first time I watched Shaun of The Dead, once the zeds started coming through the windows of the Winchester and Barbra succumbed to her bite, I FORGOT I WAS WATCHING A COMEDY...if a few dudes from jolly old England can make a movie that damn fine, why can't somebody who has had legions of fans for decades?

Now I'm not just downing him, I understand that he had some valid ideas about the flick, but it just didn't deliver to me...and I didn't really think the zombie effects were that great, except for baseball chicks exposed teeth...I loved that...

But I mean...ah hell...I'm honestly not trying to turn this into bash George here, but it honestly seemed a bit like it was "hey, let's celebrate the fact that Dennis Hopper says zombies freak him out and picks his nose!"...that and I thought Cholo was a bit one dimensional...surely he wasn't going to launch missiles at the Green just because he wanted money...it was about having his differences pointed out to him...but instead of actually saying that, or even really making it just a little clearer, we keep on hearing about the money...which I also thought was a bit too obvious as a metaphor...

*sigh*

Well, I'm going to hop off my soapbox...I know it sounds like I hate Romero, which I genuinely don't and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Diary...just please no emo kids...

Arcades057
26-Apr-2007, 06:10 PM
Guys, the way I see it is we have the three of us here now. Gilead, I'm glad to see you back at HPOTD :D And Now the News is still one of my all-time favorites, and Deadpunk, you know how I feel about those Batman stories.

Now I have the next 2 weeks free. No job, no family, no nothing. Just spare time in which I plan to finish reading a book and playing CyberNations. In between that time, however, I have a bit of free time, so I'm offering this out to the two of you: Let's do something. I think it was DP who had the idea to start a story then hand it off to someone else to continue it. We have three people here so let's get something started!

Personally I think we have two of HPOTD's best writers and me, one of the most prolific at a time, so we can get something going in that regard. I have a feeling that if people were motivated by reading something really good we might get better reads out of the fiction section.

I threw that idea out there, so one of you guys start a topic about it if interested and let's get some ideas. I might have an idea cranking around in my head if neither of you have one.

deadpunk
26-Apr-2007, 08:15 PM
honestly, The Hollowville Resurrection keeps me pretty busy. But, I'll go this far, if you and Gil both agree to commit to this, I'll make the time to do my part.

We're talking a three parter, I assume? A mini-trilogy of sorts?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Exatreides
26-Apr-2007, 11:08 PM
Ignore old exa will ya :(

Arcades057
27-Apr-2007, 01:29 AM
honestly, The Hollowville Resurrection keeps me pretty busy. But, I'll go this far, if you and Gil both agree to commit to this, I'll make the time to do my part.

We're talking a three parter, I assume? A mini-trilogy of sorts?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Something along those lines, yeah. I was thinking more like 3 long chapters, say 10 pages per person, each in the same city/town/whatever with different characters who end up meeting in the end. It doesn't have to go exactly that way, that's just my own input on it.

Again, I'm just throwing the idea out there. If you guys have a better idea, let me know, I'd be happy just to be working with 2 great writers.

deadpunk
27-Apr-2007, 02:11 AM
So, we would have to write an ending first, then each of us tell it from our own perspective? Okay, I'm definately intriqued...

Get Gilly to bite, and I'm in.

And, yes exa, we're ignoring you ;)

childofgilead
27-Apr-2007, 02:27 AM
I think you're slobbing the knob a bit too much there Arc, but thanks are in order for your opinion nevertheless...

And yeah, honestly I'd like to do something like that...I've not written ****e since I started on a webcomic a few months back and I've kinda been sitting here moping around, so yeah...count me in if you'll have me.

Arcades057
27-Apr-2007, 05:16 PM
Excellent.

So the way I see it is like this: We have 3 seperate groups of characters. They don't have to be in the same town, I guess they just have to meet in the end. One of the groups could be on a damn space shuttle and it crashes near the other two groups, as long as they meet in the end.

All three will have a beginning, middle and end, making it a little easier I think for the stories to make sense.

I'm thinking we write it out then get together, either in the chat here or on IM (hell, even through email) and figure out which one is chapter 1. Any other idears on this? I can get my part started today hopefully.

Now, first night, Dawn, or Day? I don't mind which one.

deadpunk
27-Apr-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd prefer Dawn. The fact that the dead have risen is ESTABLISHED, it is now something that needs to be dealt with.

I think we could have all our parties moving towards a shelter of some type, like the CDC maybe?... maybe just cover their road trip(s) to make it there, then have a mad twist when they finally get there...

I have a fair idea of what I'd like to do. Guess it depends on Gil's opinions. I'll wait until tomorrow to start writing anything.

Huh...this is...nostalgic :rockbrow:

WAIT!!!...I HAVE A GREAT IDEA FOR A TWIST AT THE END. Once we establish things, I will get it over to both of you.

Arcades057
28-Apr-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm down for that. Once Gil responds with a yay or nay we can get going.

childofgilead
28-Apr-2007, 08:51 PM
Hahahah...sorry I was away yesterday, but it involved 2 player gaming and not alot of sleep, so it had to be taken advantage of, ya dig?

Anyway, yeah, I'm definitely down for it...mostly because I've been thinking about a story about being able to say exactly, to the letter, what I'd do and consider...never really ever bothered to do that, just did what made sense in the stories I guess...

Anyway, just PM me with the details or whatever you guys figure out...I'm just riding along on ya'lls coattails, but I'll do my best.

Just a few quick questions, if you guys have decided yet...where in the country, what time of year, how long has it been going on, and what sorts of news reports or situations around the country?

I was thinking if it's Dawn, then quite a bit of pandemonium, still some disbelief, news, radio, power, water still going...what input do you fellas have?

deadpunk
29-Apr-2007, 04:55 AM
I agree with your synopsis of the Dawn era.

I'm up for anywhere. I'd say that there is still hope for survivors, and that the govt. is pointing folk towards camps and what not. Still an insistance that there is no need for panic...

I'd vote for FL. If thats cool with everyone. I know arc is from there, and I'm fairly familiar with that neck of the woods, myself...

rightwing401
29-Apr-2007, 02:31 PM
Alright guys, go for it! Between all of you, what ever is cooked up is going to rock. I wish that I could have a part in this thread, but I just don't have the time right now.
I can't wait to see what is made.

deadpunk
29-Apr-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks rightwing.

We need a working title for the overall story, then we can each title our own individual efforts...

I'll put out my suggestions:

Road to Hell
Last Ditch Effort ;)

Arcades057
29-Apr-2007, 04:59 PM
If we use the CDC as a meeting place we could all start in our own particular necks of the woods and meet there. I'm liking DP's ideas so far, so if we do it that way we should be OK. This way our own particular stories are only affected by 2 factors: Where they end and the amount of people that wind up there.

deadpunk
29-Apr-2007, 05:18 PM
Is there a CDC in Florida? Or, do we have to move it to a new location?

I say: you get to be incharge of a location...find Gil and I a Google Map or something and link us up! Sound fair? If we work off a true map, we run less risk of screwing the pooch...

Exatreides
29-Apr-2007, 06:56 PM
I wish there was something i could do :(.

Arcades057
30-Apr-2007, 08:53 PM
OK, here's the link to the ACDC.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2005-01,GWYA:en&q=center+for+disease+control&near=Atlanta,+GA&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

Reasons for my choosing this location:
1) It's well enough know that we can get all the info we need from the internetz.
2) In a time of plague I feel that people would be likely to search this place out.
3) Lack of a better idea.

If we're using FL it's also relatively close; I know it takes around 8+ hours to drive from Delray Beach to Atlanta, so depending on where we each start it can definitely take up some time to get there.

I think I'm ready to start. Now I need to watch Land, Night, Dawn, and Day to get warmed up. Haven't had a zombie idea in months.

deadpunk
01-May-2007, 04:27 AM
Done and done.

let the writing begin...mwhahahaha:evil:

Arcades057
02-May-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm starting mine now. Got an OK scenario thought up, so we'll see how it goes. I'll PM you guys when I'm nearing the end.

Also, if you guys are on AIM still, I'll log on tomorrow around 8 or 9. Still Arcades057, I think, though I might me Incognito057... Yes, Incognito057.

deadpunk
02-May-2007, 02:22 PM
Tonight is no good for me. Sorry. This is my all day/all night shift. :mad:

I like the scenario you PMed me. Good stuff. Way off the mark of what I thought you would be doing, which makes it even better.

Wonder what Gil is upto?

Arcades057
02-May-2007, 09:42 PM
Even if for some reason Gilead can't do it, we can still get ours out there. Truth be told, mine is already 5 pages long, and that's just character development.

Heh, you thought I was gonna do SEAT, eh? :D I'm intentionally straying from it.

kortick
05-May-2007, 01:11 AM
I am glad you guys are doing this

the old fic forum was the best part of the old site

even that grim was something
as well as BIB

good luck with the writing

lets change this post from
"this forum is deader than a nuns sex life'
to
"this place is colder than a witches tit"

not all nuns are so celibate

seriously

good luck

childofgilead
06-May-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah guys, I'm working on mine too, don't worry...if you were worried that is...and if you weren't then no reason to start now...not that I think you'd worry, just saying...

And kortick, I thought I was the only one who ever said colder than a witch's tit...hm...

wyvern1096
07-May-2007, 11:42 PM
When this is done please post back and let us know where to find it. Sounds interesting so far.

Arcades057
09-May-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm out. Sorry Gilead.

I might still finish up what I have and post it here as a single-author finished work, but life calls us sometimes and we have to answer.

losherman
09-May-2007, 03:47 AM
thats a shame man alot of people were looking forward to this project.

Arcades057
10-May-2007, 12:57 AM
Why am I not doing this anymore, people wonder... Well, here's part of it:

CONTENT REMOVED BY WEBMASTER - PRIVATE EMAILS SHOULD NOT REALLY BE POSTED ON A PUBLIC FORUM

I just can't be a part of something with someone who holds an old grudge. So much for internet friendships.

Exatreides
10-May-2007, 02:21 AM
Boulderdash

childofgilead
10-May-2007, 05:12 AM
*sigh*
This is why I never bother with this crap anymore.

deadpunk
10-May-2007, 05:24 AM
Whatever. I stand behind the decision of my moderation team. As site admin, I'm bound to uphold their wants. I've offered a solution, its upto you guys to take it or leave it.

I'm not sure why this needs to spill over here anyway? Why does this have to end this project?

childofgilead
10-May-2007, 06:33 AM
You tell me. Just seems like every time anybody gets together some kind of crap comes up to screw it.

*sigh*

I don't really know anything about what's going on. And that's because I keep myself to myself.

Sounds like you all need to just get together, go to a strip club and hug it out.

deadpunk
10-May-2007, 07:04 AM
I offered..and was summarily shot down.

Sorry Gil, I never intended any of this. If you wanna two man this project, I'll still throw down. If not, I understand that too.

Frickin' shame. Really.

Neil
10-May-2007, 09:31 AM
This topic has gone rather odd-topic, and is obviously discussing things that need to be addressed in private between certain individuals... Thread closed.