PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Balboa... Still packing a punch 30 years later

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2006, 06:48 PM
When you mention Rocky Balboa to some people they roll their eyes in disgust and imagine an aging action hero trying to retain, more like regain his once Superstar status by reviving a series that ended horribly in 1990. However, that where the sucker punch comes into play.

The biggest problem with the Rocky series in the sequles were that the story hyped up Stallone to his stardom status in the real world. That hype took away the human element Rocky once had in the original two films. Now here comes the 6th and final entry where a computer simulation pits the current champ against a once prime boxing machine from back in the day. This simulation project Rocky to be the better boxer if age and time weren't the factor. With talk about the simulation brewing in the sports worl, corporate promotoers latch onto this and decide to use it to promote an exhibition match between the current champ and Rocky Balboa.

Now Rocky himself thought of getting back in the game because of the hype, but only to fight locally, however his intentions are known pretty much from the point he applies for his license, and this is where the film falters a tad. You really get the feeling like mentioned above about him applying for his license when comparing it to asking people if they would see Rocky 6.

One great thing about Rocy 6 is the fact it brings the human element about Rocky back to the story. not the superstar Rocky, but the guy who just rolled with the punches life dealt him and kept his head up no matter what. Even the champion of boxing, played by Antonio carver is kept human... not over hyped in anyway so it made the film much more enjoyable.

The only fault Rocky 6 has is the slow start and abrupt ending. Just when the film begins to pick-up and gets going it ends fast which is a shame because during the boxing match I wanted to jump out of my seat and scream ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY, just when I was ready to do it the fight ends and the credits begin to roll.

One thing Rocky 6 didn't lose was the underdog storyline and the film has a positive message to promote to everyone in that don't count yourself out... it's not the punches life gives it how hard a punch you can take. This film is enjoyable on many levels and is a fitting end to one of the greatest underdog stories ever told.

7.5 out of 10

bassman
20-Dec-2006, 07:43 PM
Good review.

I'm sure it's a good film(I've heard so from many sources) but I'll wait for DVD. I just can't bring myself to pay for a ticket to see a film where I know how it will end and I saw virtually the same story many years ago. It was called "Rocky".

Mutineer
20-Dec-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the review DJ !

I might see this tonight ! Sly is totally cool (Cop Land is my favorite)

:)

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2006, 08:13 PM
You're welcome...

Be aware the film starts off slow, but when it picks up... DAMN it goes full force. You won't be disappointed you spent $10.00 for the ticket.

capncnut
20-Dec-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

Danny
20-Dec-2006, 11:16 PM
aye same here a few people i know say its awesome.

slickwilly13
21-Dec-2006, 04:26 AM
I'll try to catch it before Christmas. I have read many positive reviews so far.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2006, 02:41 PM
I think I will go see it again. I actually enjoyed it that much. I don't any of the Rocky Films on DVD I wanted to wait so I could buy the whole set in one shot.

slickwilly13
19-Oct-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey, I met Union Cane from Rocky V the other day. He lives in my area now and trains at one of the gyms I go to.