PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING metallica find - phone reuters!

_liam_
27-Dec-2006, 06:21 PM
my god, sorry if this is ye olde news to thee seasoned metallers, but i was in my local dirt mall today, and i found a trade paperback comic which simply had "METALLICA" on the front, it was a quid, so bought it, and dear god, it's beautiful, basically it's the first 7 or so years of metallica's history in comic form, from james in high school to the "justice..." tour.

amazing stuff, i'll see if i can get some scans up, it's proper cheesy and potted, i love it. example; james walking down a high school corridor in a sabbath t shirt while some cheerleaders discuss "doing the mall", a thought bubble lets us know that james is thinking "gee, i'll never fit in here..."

also is the slightly anticlimactic death of cliff burton, which has james & lars faces on a black, with this little bit of dialogue;

james: man, i can't believe cliff is dead, what are we gonna do?"
lars: i dunno... go home?

amazing stuff. anyone else seen it?

bassman
27-Dec-2006, 06:27 PM
Never heard of it. Sounds like a nifty little find.

I wonder if there's more that cover the later years with them whinning over Napster and becoming a sh*tty band with "St. Anger".:p

coma
27-Dec-2006, 07:28 PM
my god, sorry if this is ye olde news to thee seasoned metallers, but i was in my local dirt mall today, and i found a trade paperback comic which simply had "METALLICA" on the front, it was a quid, so bought it, and dear god, it's beautiful, basically it's the first 7 or so years of metallica's history in comic form, from james in high school to the "justice..." tour.

amazing stuff, i'll see if i can get some scans up, it's proper cheesy and potted, i love it. example; james walking down a high school corridor in a sabbath t shirt while some cheerleaders discuss "doing the mall", a thought bubble lets us know that james is thinking "gee, i'll never fit in here..."

also is the slightly anticlimactic death of cliff burton, which has james & lars faces on a black, with this little bit of dialogue;

james: man, i can't believe cliff is dead, what are we gonna do?"
lars: i dunno... go home?

amazing stuff. anyone else seen it?
I am pretty sure that One of My brothers drew that. He is a comic book artist. He worked for the company and they paid peanuts, so he had a very "whatever" attitude after a while.
Whats the artists name to see if I'm right.

Never heard of it. Sounds like a nifty little find.

I wonder if there's more that cover the later years with them whinning over Napster and becoming a sh*tty band with "St. Anger".:p
too old. that was around In justice for all era

_liam_
27-Dec-2006, 07:35 PM
pencils; Larry Nadolsky inks; Scott Goodell. that the fella?

bassman
27-Dec-2006, 07:40 PM
I am pretty sure that One of My brothers drew that. He is a comic book artist. He worked for the company and they paid peanuts, so he had a very "whatever" attitude after a while.
Whats the artists name to see if I'm right.

too old. that was around In justice for all era

That's why I said "more" and "later years";)

coma
27-Dec-2006, 07:45 PM
pencils; Larry Nadolsky inks; Scott Goodell. that the fella?
Nope. I thought it was his becasue he gave it to me. Prbobaly because he knew I liked them. He did a bunch of Musci ones from the same company. Oh well

MikePizzoff
27-Dec-2006, 11:20 PM
Awesome find, Liam. I'd like to try to find that. How many pages is it?

PS - What is a "quid" equal to in American currency, roughly?

_liam_
27-Dec-2006, 11:27 PM
about 50 cents i think?

capncnut
28-Dec-2006, 07:12 AM
I picked up a bunch of those. I have the KISS story, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, The Doors and The Black Crowes. I think they were made by Revolutionary Comics or something.

_liam_
28-Dec-2006, 12:46 PM
heheh, cool...have to see if i can hunt out the rest of em...

coma
28-Dec-2006, 04:16 PM
Awesome find, Liam. I'd like to try to find that. How many pages is it?

It's a regular 32 page "pamphlet" comic book. You could find it really cheap. The cover price was about 2 bucks.

It was Personality comics with a revolutionary comics logo for the music books

capncnut
28-Dec-2006, 05:55 PM
heheh, cool...have to see if i can hunt out the rest of em...

You should find masses of them in any comic book store. I have a pretty good one 10 minutes away from me and they sell those rock 'n roll comics for about £1-£1.50, and the Freak Brothers too.

Rolled out of there the other day 20 quid lighter; 3 Target Dr Who books, Night Of The Living Dead episode 3, Fangoria #2, a couple of Bluntman and Chronic comics and a Frankenstein-esque Pez dispenser (which was a freebie). :D

_liam_
28-Dec-2006, 06:50 PM
heheh nice haul! didnt know those rock comics were so common, have to get on the case...

speaking of target, may i take this oppurtunity to brag about when i found that mid 60s armada edition of doctor who in an exciting adventure with the daleks for 35p? hehe ok, i will...

http://homepages.bw.edu/~jcurtis/Armada_paperback.jpg

*cackles* gonna put mah kids through college someday

capncnut
28-Dec-2006, 07:36 PM
Hehe, I got a 1973 reprint for a similar price. I love the funky illustrations.

didnt know those rock comics were so common, have to get on the case...

The hardest one to find would be the New Kids On The Block one. Apparently, it was withdrawn shortly after release due to a lawsuit threat. :lol:

MikePizzoff
28-Dec-2006, 09:54 PM
I looked into these guys and they've also made NWA and Ice-T comics! I'd like to get the whole lot of all of their "Rock n Roll" series.

On the New Kids On The Block comic lawsuit:

District Judge John S. Rhoades declared that R’N’R number 12 could legally be distributed because it is “part biography and part satire.” His twelve page ruling also stated that “Bookstores are filled with biographies - both authorized and unauthorized - of public figures. And, while the subjects of such biographies may be offended by the publication of their life stories, they generally have no claim for trademark infringement.”