PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu anyone???

Cykotic
28-Dec-2006, 01:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6214425.stm

does anyone get the impression that this is gonna become a regular occurance?

_liam_
28-Dec-2006, 01:53 PM
yeh who knows with this one. he's been getting big money offers after the harry potter thing, but then the guy is a doctor who nerd, and i doubt he'd stitch us (and himself) up by quitting so soon.

but on the other hand, whenever someone asks him if he's leaving after the next series, he never says "No" outright.

who knows! i know the guy is banned from going on internet forums due to his blabbing :lol:

Cykotic
28-Dec-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, the claim might be real due to the fact that series 4 hasn't been ordered yet and series 2 war ordered while series 1 was still being filmed.

What the hell is going on?

_liam_
28-Dec-2006, 02:25 PM
i think series 2 & 3 were ordered simultaneously after the success of the first couple episodes of series 1. i reckon we will get a series 4 but it'll be the start of the decline. i hate to add to the naysaying that will probably snowball and hasten the decline, but that seems to be the way of it, this xmas special didnt do too well in the ratings.

i think the problem is the high profile timeslot if occupies, you have to really perform in the ratings to stay there, whereas stuff like bugs, jonathan creek and goodnight sweetheart seemed to amble on for years and years.

capncnut
28-Dec-2006, 05:39 PM
I think this makes perfect sense. He is riding the crest of a wave and was recently voted the best Doctor ever (bulls**t, Tom Baker destroys him) so what better way to preserve the goodness and quit before his character runs flat. Tennant cannot play the role forever I'm afraid and a new face would be perfect to keep the show fresh. Anyway, I'm getting sick of these twentysomething Doctors, make him a a bit older - and more sinister.

I wonder who the BBC are lining up to replace him? Answers on a postcard.

Edit: Wait a sec, doesn't the Doctor have 12 regenerations before he dies for real? This will be the 11th by my calculations.

Cykotic
28-Dec-2006, 06:31 PM
12 regenerations but dies on the 13

_liam_
28-Dec-2006, 06:57 PM
but can he turn into a crap cgi snake ala the TV movie?...the master didnt let the 13 lives thing stop him...

i think its worth mentioning that we dont know for sure that tennant is the 10th doctor...he said he'd had a dozen or so since he and sarah last met...which was *technically* the five doctors... *nerds away feverishly* but probably not...just feeding my not so inner nerd there...

but aye, i dunno, someone on another board i go on mentioned that he thinks a contributing factor to the decline of the show in the late eighties was the more frequent recasting of the role, causing people to get fed up with/not build attachment to the incumbent doctor, breeding indifference to the show.

on a less theoretical note, we've had 3 decent doctors (imo), surely it's kinda likely that we'll have a crap one soon?

Eyebiter
28-Dec-2006, 07:41 PM
This would be a good opportunity to get Christopher Eccleston back (not that it's going to happen)...

capncnut
28-Dec-2006, 07:43 PM
i dunno, someone on another board i go on mentioned that he thinks a contributing factor to the decline of the show in the late eighties was the more frequent recasting of the role, causing people to get fed up with/not build attachment to the incumbent doctor, breeding indifference to the show.

There's only one reason for the show's decline in the eighties. His name was John Nathan Turner.

*repeats name Fight Club style* :D

Cykotic
29-Dec-2006, 08:34 AM
ahh yes... him. but you also have to agree that Michael Grade had a huge part to play in it's downfall.

But when you get Ken Dodd to play an alien, you know the series is dead....

Danny
29-Dec-2006, 09:17 AM
yeah tennants his 11th regeneration so i was thinking "well they can only have 1 or 2 'new' doctors left to go before they cant make anymore purely cus the main protagonist is dead.
that said i remember an old ep i saw were the doctor met 5 versions of his past regenerations in some kinda puzzle i think the ep had a same name as a stephen king book, it was a long time ago mind you, but i remember the time lords offered the master a "new regeneration cycle" if he did something i cant remember for them, so theyll probably do something like that.

Eyebiter
29-Dec-2006, 08:08 PM
that said i remember an old ep i saw were the doctor met 5 versions of his past regenerations in some kinda puzzle i think the ep had a same name as a stephen king book, it was a long time ago mind you, but i remember the time lords offered the master a "new regeneration cycle" if he did something i cant remember for them, so theyll probably do something like that.

The Five Doctors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Doctors

TwoGunBob
29-Dec-2006, 08:15 PM
I heard rumor that the next Doctor was someone we all know from 28 Days Later but isn't Eccleston. It's probably unfounded rumor of course.

As for Tennant being voted the favorite Doctor. I think the current demographic is chock full of new folks that don't even know about the old Doctors. I mentioned elsewhere it was akin to polling audiences coming out of the theater after seeing Dawn of the Dead 2004 and asking what the best zombie movie ever was and then declaring Dawn 04 is the best zombie movie EVER!!!!