PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Horror film - *Pulse.

Burbank
22-Mar-2006, 04:57 PM
Anyone seen or heard anything about this? It's an old-ish film - pre Ringu but with the same type of story as most Japanese horror.

Strange deaths followed by accessing an internet site that offers contact with the dead (sounds a bit like murderdotcom?).

IMDB rating is okay, just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with it? Showing a the local "indie" cinema this weekend and I might go see...

Tullaryx
22-Mar-2006, 05:07 PM
These Ringu-type Japanese horror have been done to death. The last great Asian horror that uses the Ringu-type supernatural and atmosphere themes wasn't even Japanese but South Korean: A Tale of Two Sisters. That film was the height of the genre and everything else has been nothing but a rehash of the same idea over and over.

Adrenochrome
22-Mar-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, Pulse (or Kairo) is nothing like the Ring flicks. I enjoyed it. Hey, Burbank, check out KOMA - it's Chinese (Hong Kong) - you should enjoy that one too.

Apocryphism
23-Mar-2006, 12:28 AM
KOMA is more of a drama than a horror flick. It's a little wild (then again, perhaps that's fairly normal for a lot of Asian cinema). I own/enjoy it.

Burbank
23-Mar-2006, 01:18 PM
These Ringu-type Japanese horror have been done to death. The last great Asian horror that uses the Ringu-type supernatural and atmosphere themes wasn't even Japanese but South Korean: A Tale of Two Sisters. That film was the height of the genre and everything else has been nothing but a rehash of the same idea over and over.

Yeah I know what you mean, but what caught me was this was before the first of the Japanese Ringu films.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 02:53 PM
:elol: All I can say is
----VERSUS----

The greatest Japanese horror flick EVER! (My opinion anyway :skull: )

Burbank
23-Mar-2006, 03:20 PM
Versus isn't so much a horror film as an action film. It is quality though.

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 03:23 PM
It's really hard to top Audition in terms of Japanese horror. And for Japanese splatterpunk...Guinea Pig Series. :)

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 03:26 PM
aud- Was a classic film. I agree that the Ringu style is getting QUITE over-done!

And I will meet ya in the middle and we will call VERSUS a Zombie-Action flick..Fair enough? :lol: :lol:

Apocryphism
23-Mar-2006, 03:53 PM
I recommend Audition to anyone who has even a remote interest in Asian cinema. See it.

And if you like Takashi Miike, check out his short film, Box. It's part of the Three...Extremes compilation of short flicks (and might be available otherwise, I'm not sure). It's the most gorgeous 30 minutes I've ever seen on screen, and it's extremely unique.

Burbank
26-Mar-2006, 06:23 PM
I went to see Pulse last night... while it did start off as the standard post-Ringu Japanese horror film about 3/4 the way in it totally changed.

Quite a crazy film with some big ideas.

Sadly Hollywood have gone and done a remake. The usual horror re-make cast i.e. Young stars of successful US TV series (in this case Veronica Mars and Lost) and an R‘n’ B star (Christina Millian [sp?]). It looks to be a little more heavy handed than the Japanese version and the trailer seems to have sections taken directly from the film - maybe trailer done before post production on the effects had finished.