PDA

View Full Version : Pixar movies...bah humbug

_liam_
04-Jan-2007, 10:21 PM
just watched "monsters inc". myself, while i did like it and feel like a black hearted sod badmouthing it, i thought it was very average.

all of these cgi kids movie feel similar to me. toy story was excellent, and i loved antz, but movies like this seem to rely on the same gags over and over again (double takes, basic sight gags, cranky modern day character archetypes that are sooo much more hilarious because it's a talking cgi ice cube or whatever - know what i mean?), i just get bored and am left with a feeling i've seen it all before. also why do they all have these whimsical musical scores? the lightly jazzy, whimsical clarinet (or whatever) seems to be used in every film like this...

as soon as billy crystals character appeared i knew exactly what he would be like.and he was.

the ice age movies were similarly tiresome. just like the rest, you have the gentle, cool larger creatures, the frantic, bug eyed, gawky little ones, who at some point have their tail set on fire or eat something hot or spray something in their eye, there's a one second delay, their eyes go wide, and then they go "AARRRRGH!!!", waving their arms about in ALMOST EVERY MOVIE.

anyone else know what i mean? i feel kinda alone on this one seeing as monsters inc is above scarface and jurassic park in the imdb top 250(!)

bassman
05-Jan-2007, 12:51 AM
In defense of Pixar...."Cars" was a great movie.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2007, 12:55 AM
Cars was one of the better films Pixar produced in the last 4 years. I love Monster's Inc. However, I think Cars is a much better film. My Pixar faves

Toy Story 2
Cars
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Monster's Inc.
Finding Nemo
A Bug's life

rawrOTD
05-Jan-2007, 01:51 AM
i dont like CGI movies as much as i love stop-motion animation
wallace and gromit and night mare before christmas just seem to have that special magic and creative story

when the makers of the film have to take 24 pictures to get one second of film
they make damn friggen sure the story is their pride and joy
no profit making spittle like some computer animated movies

wha really bugs me about CG is how damn shiny everything is

stop motion ends up being an art with a heart
cg is just kids stuff with churne out lovable family fuel

im currently making my first stop motion animation
its on zombies and how to survive a human invasion

but yeah
that was off topic i suppose

Danny
05-Jan-2007, 07:09 AM
i liked the inredibles but that was a little more up my comic book nerd alley, but aside form that cgi films blow the big one, there allways the same, and if one takes off, like a bug one, two more will follow in its wake.

_liam_
05-Jan-2007, 04:04 PM
i dont like CGI movies as much as i love stop-motion animation
wallace and gromit and night mare before christmas just seem to have that special magic and creative story

when the makers of the film have to take 24 pictures to get one second of film
they make damn friggen sure the story is their pride and joy
no profit making spittle like some computer animated movies

wha really bugs me about CG is how damn shiny everything is

stop motion ends up being an art with a heart
cg is just kids stuff with churne out lovable family fuel

im currently making my first stop motion animation
its on zombies and how to survive a human invasion

but yeah
that was off topic i suppose

chicken run sucked balls, but i prefer stop motion anyday...your project sounds cool, dont forget to link us...

but in defence of CGI, i have this to say;
BRING BACK REBOOT!

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2007, 04:29 PM
lol, wooooo!!!! Reboot!!! Remember the Evil Dead 2 referencing episode? Damn I wish that was available on YouTube or something...

The Incredibles - fantastic
Toy Story 1 and 2 - awesome
Monsters Inc - rather bloody funny
Cars - scant on the laughs front, but looked incredible

Over The Hedge was rather funny, I quite like that flick and Hoodwinked, while being much farther down the CGI ladder, it was pretty fun. Not hilarious, but there were some great bits - mainly to do with the squirrel - "deen-ah-mee-tay" :lol: ROFLEXPLOSION (that still cracks me up)

Chicken Run - I liked it, but Were-Rabbit was just superb, hilarious (and filled with excellently placed references - plenty of nods and winks to the adults with a nice dose of 'adults will only get this' humour).

_liam_
05-Jan-2007, 04:35 PM
the x files spoof episode of reboot was the best...

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2007, 04:59 PM
lol, wooooo!!!! Reboot!!! Remember the Evil Dead 2 referencing episode? Damn I wish that was available on YouTube or something...

The Incredibles - fantastic
Toy Story 1 and 2 - awesome
Monsters Inc - rather bloody funny
Cars - scant on the laughs front, but looked incredible

Over The Hedge was rather funny, I quite like that flick and Hoodwinked, while being much farther down the CGI ladder, it was pretty fun. Not hilarious, but there were some great bits - mainly to do with the squirrel - "deen-ah-mee-tay" :lol: ROFLEXPLOSION (that still cracks me up)

Chicken Run - I liked it, but Were-Rabbit was just superb, hilarious (and filled with excellently placed references - plenty of nods and winks to the adults with a nice dose of 'adults will only get this' humour).

My fave part of hoodwinked was Jim Belushi's lumber jack cutting down trees and the falling tree scaring the turtles to the point they yell run and they proceed to stick out their necks and walk ever so slowly.

Danny
05-Jan-2007, 05:35 PM
chicken run sucked balls, but i prefer stop motion anyday...your project sounds cool, dont forget to link us...

but in defence of CGI, i have this to say;
BRING BACK REBOOT!

word, b'yatch reboot like a mutha!:cool:

Maitreya
07-Jan-2007, 07:47 AM
Cars was one of the better films Pixar produced in the last 4 years. I love Monster's Inc. However, I think Cars is a much better film. My Pixar faves

Toy Story 2
Cars
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Monster's Inc.
Finding Nemo
A Bug's life

Haha, I'm pretty sure that's most ALL of the Disney/Pixar CGI movies.

I think in the field of CGI movies Pixar consistently makes the best. They really outdid themselves with The Incredibles especially, in the sense that they appealed to older audiences a lot more (actually referencing death, and the idiotic lawsuits) while still keeping a relatively light-hearted and comedic atmosphere that children love. I also found Cars to be especially entertaining, I mean, at the part where he sees the tattoo on the Porche's rear bumper, not a single person in my dorm room didn't scream "Tramp stamp!". Most of the other movies (Ice Age, Ants, Polar Express and such) were all made by other companies.

I have yet to be let down by a Pixar movie, even the pre-movie shorts, you can't even say that that one with all the birds wasn't hilarious.