PDA

View Full Version : Bit more news on Cameron's Avatar...

Neil
09-Jan-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/08/movies/08cnd-cameron.html?_r=1&ei=5094&en=0bc81ed724640090&hp=&ex=1168318800&adxnnl=1&partner=homepage&adxnnlx=1168292526-5jQDX0DlIh2XSEtq+0aaiQ&oref=slogin

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2007, 02:05 PM
That's sounding rather-ruddy-rockin' I must say, I've been looking forward to it, a proper return to quality Cameron (rather than Titanic, which ended being a bit too chick flicky for my tastes - although the action was great).

But I guess Titanic wasn't pushing technology anywhere near as far as T2 did or now what Avatar seems to be doing. I certainly can't wait to see it, it sounds like it's going to be an astonishing flick. :cool:

Neil
09-Jan-2007, 02:20 PM
But I guess Titanic wasn't pushing technology anywhere near as far as T2 did or now what Avatar seems to be doing. I certainly can't wait to see it, it sounds like it's going to be an astonishing flick. :cool:

WTF!? I'd say Titanic pushed technology far more than T2 did... Dude he went two miles under the water to film on location!! Also the CGI was cutting edge for its day...

capncnut
09-Jan-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm with you all the way on that one Neil. Not only that but Titanic was one hell of a worthy movie, you don't need to be a chick to appreciate it either.

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2007, 07:38 PM
But T2 was mind blowing, while there was a smidge of CGI in The Abyss, CGI was really properly employed to astonishing (and still astonishing) degrees in T2, which was a completely epic piece of filmmaking.

Yes Cameron spent a lot of money and the CGI was good, but as CGI wasn't new anymore then and while good ... it just wasn't anywhere near as special. It was with the Rings trilogy that CGI once again became astonishing, and by the sounds of things, Avatar is going to take CGI to it's logical and next astonishing step, which seems to happen every few years.

Also - he built a big replica of Titanic ... building big sets has been done before. Yes it's a big feat and it's quite impressive, but D.W. Griffith was quite literally making vast epics with vast, constructed-from-scratch, sets back when cinema didn't even have sound.

The story of Titanic is what let it down to me, it was too schmaltzy and too Hollywood to properly pay tribute to the situation, so by the time you're sat there saying "finally! it's sinking!" (which you knew was coming anyway!) you suddenly realise you've been sucked in to rooting for the ship to sink, and you feel kinda dirty and guilty afterwards.

Yes, the sinking was done very well indeed ... but Titanic just doesn't feel special beyond the amount of money that was involved in it's making and exhibition.

That's what I make of Titanic...not a total right off, but beyond it's large figures (on both ends of the money spectrum - spending and making) I really don't think it was that awe inspiring.

And yeah Cameron did all these dives which were showing the world more of Titanic than ever, but his main bulk of work in that area has existed outside of the film and has been over the past several years in his quest to conserve artefacts and gather as much information as possible.

His exploration of the real Titanic - a completely separate project essentially - carries a decent dose of awe.

Neil
09-Jan-2007, 08:00 PM
But T2 was mind blowing, while there was a smidge of CGI in The Abyss, CGI was really properly employed to astonishing (and still astonishing) degrees in T2, which was a completely epic piece of filmmaking.

Yes Cameron spent a lot of money and the CGI was good, but as CGI wasn't new anymore then and while good ... it just wasn't anywhere near as special. It was with the Rings trilogy that CGI once again became astonishing, and by the sounds of things, Avatar is going to take CGI to it's logical and next astonishing step, which seems to happen every few years.

Also - he built a big replica of Titanic ... building big sets has been done before. Yes it's a big feat and it's quite impressive, but D.W. Griffith was quite literally making vast epics with vast, constructed-from-scratch, sets back when cinema didn't even have sound.

The story of Titanic is what let it down to me, it was too schmaltzy and too Hollywood to properly pay tribute to the situation, so by the time you're sat there saying "finally! it's sinking!" (which you knew was coming anyway!) you suddenly realise you've been sucked in to rooting for the ship to sink, and you feel kinda dirty and guilty afterwards.

Yes, the sinking was done very well indeed ... but Titanic just doesn't feel special beyond the amount of money that was involved in it's making and exhibition.

That's what I make of Titanic...not a total right off, but beyond it's large figures (on both ends of the money spectrum - spending and making) I really don't think it was that awe inspiring.

And yeah Cameron did all these dives which were showing the world more of Titanic than ever, but his main bulk of work in that area has existed outside of the film and has been over the past several years in his quest to conserve artefacts and gather as much information as possible.

His exploration of the real Titanic - a completely separate project essentially - carries a decent dose of awe.

You were refering to "pushing technology"... The CGI effect in T2 was waiting to happen. He trialed it in The Abyss and used it further in T2.

The technology in Titanic was two fold:-
1) Underwater filming. He actually had to build the mini subs and camera technology I believe to film on the Titanic.
2) The CGI work was obviously far far more complex than T2 for example, and required a good leap in effects.

I'm not arguing which was the more effective or impressive. But IMHO Titanic pushed technology more...

bassman
09-Jan-2007, 08:05 PM
I would have to say "Titanic" as well. "T2" was astounding when first released, but "Titanic" has definitely carried on the torch. Just watch some of the Special Features on the new Special Edition dvd and you'll get a good idea of most of the stuff they did. Things that I would have never realized were CGI...

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah but still ... T2 was essentially birthing CGI ... that's pretty freakin' boundary-bashing, don't ya think? A whole new wave of technology jizzed across the entire filmmaking world, something which has become such a huge technique?!

bassman
09-Jan-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah but still ... T2 was essentially birthing CGI ... that's pretty freakin' boundary-bashing, don't ya think? A whole new wave of technology jizzed across the entire filmmaking world, something which has become such a huge technique?!

Oh no....I agree. He(well....ILM) started it with "The Abyss" and then basically perfected it with "T2". It was the beginning.....the infant.

What i'm saying is that "Titanic" just took the infant and grew with it. In many different ways.

"The Abyss" was the seed. "Titanic" was the stem. And now it's growing into a plant and you f*ck the plant!;)

Neil
12-Jan-2007, 07:56 AM
Bit more... Release date is 2009...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31191

Harry – Why so long? Why is this going to take till 2009?

Jim – Well – it’s the photorealism. You know, in terms of my ‘gung ho’ directing, I’ll be done in terms of a cut of the picture by… um… probably November of this year.

capncnut
12-Jan-2007, 10:40 AM
Then I guess come 2009, he'll have another blockbuster on his hands. I'm glad he survived his fascination with the water, I was beginning to wonder if it would totally consume his career. Avatar will be good (no doubt about it) but I would much prefer it if he'd just get on with Battle Angel, it's been in the pipeline for waaay too long!

Neil
12-Jan-2007, 11:12 AM
Then I guess come 2009, he'll have another blockbuster on his hands. I'm glad he survived his fascination with the water, I was beginning to wonder if it would totally consume his career. Avatar will be good (no doubt about it) but I would much prefer it if he'd just get on with Battle Angel, it's been in the pipeline for waaay too long!

Well, he is trying to move Battle Angel along as well!

_liam_
12-Jan-2007, 09:49 PM
i agree that t2 was a huge achievement and is the better movie, but on titanic cameron & his brother helped develop a type of camera that could film outside of a sub 2 and a half miles down (& obtain footage of a good enough quality to use in the most expensive motion picture ever made), something that scientists who do that kinda thing for a living hadnt managed by that point. also there was that mexican tank they constructed which i think was unparalelled in its size.

plus the amount of cash spent, the attention to detail (i'm a big titanic buff and as chicky mcflicky as that movie got, i had the biggest blackest boner ever during most of it) etc etc. it was a groundbreaking movie technologically speaking, end of...

night to remember was better though...arf

Neil
13-Jan-2007, 08:37 AM
i agree that t2 was a huge achievement and is the better movie, but on titanic cameron & his brother helped develop a type of camera that could film outside of a sub 2 and a half miles down (& obtain footage of a good enough quality to use in the most expensive motion picture ever made), something that scientists who do that kinda thing for a living hadnt managed by that point. also there was that mexican tank they constructed which i think was unparalelled in its size.

plus the amount of cash spent, the attention to detail (i'm a big titanic buff and as chicky mcflicky as that movie got, i had the biggest blackest boner ever during most of it) etc etc. it was a groundbreaking movie technologically speaking, end of...

night to remember was better though...arf

By the way - slightly off thread topic - there is a documentary on UK TV this comming week about how what we believe about some of the details regarding the Titanic sinking aren't correct....

Neil
15-Jan-2007, 12:41 PM
TITANIC --- For those UK folks interested, the documentary I mentioned earlier in this thread about the new information about the Titanic's sinking is on CH5 tomorrow (Tue) night...

_liam_
15-Jan-2007, 01:10 PM
cool, i'll check that out, ta neil :cool:

capncnut
15-Jan-2007, 05:06 PM
Well done. Thanks for reminding me Neil.

Neil
21-Feb-2008, 03:29 PM
More news on it... http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35672

How much more realistic can they get stuff... I mean in some films, some of the effects look nigh on perfect to me.

I suspect in reality though, when we get to see Avatar we'll realise how bad they were...

bassman
21-Feb-2008, 04:24 PM
This movie is going to be so great....

Does anyone else find it kind of weird that Cameon is using Weta when ILM has helped him out so much?...

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2008, 06:09 PM
"Jim out" ... dude's hip, bitches! :D

Aye, I concur, this movie is gonna rock cock up and down the sunset strip for a week straight with no breaks...i.e. funking awesome.

I certainly look forward to seeing this film, I'll have to definitely see it in the cinema.

EvilNed
21-Feb-2008, 07:21 PM

The Abyss actually won an Academy Awards for it's CGI work in 1988. So people were well aware of it. Also remember Tron? And Willow? They also used computer effects.

As for this film, it sounds more like a 200 million experimental sci-fi than anything that will change the way films are experienced. While I love all of James Camerons previous films (Piranha 2 excluded), I just can't see where this is going. It will probably be a good film, but it wouldn't surprise me if the technology fell flat. Stephen Sommers fell into the George Lucas "CGI EVERYWHERE" pit of hell, and maybe James Cameron has too.

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2008, 08:37 PM
My point being from weeks ago that T2 was the first really big, full on CGI splash.

The Abyss really only had one scene, and Tron was really basic CGI mixed with a load of black-lighting.

EvilNed
21-Feb-2008, 09:03 PM
The Abyss had more than one scene. There were several underwater scenes that used CGI, so no. T2 wasn't the first there either. T2 used MORE cgi. But I saw no improvement in the CGI between Abyss and T2.

Kaos
21-Feb-2008, 11:49 PM
WTF!? I'd say Titanic pushed technology far more than T2 did... Dude he went two miles under the water to film on location!! Also the CGI was cutting edge for its day...

These are the times I wish Back In Black was here. :p

Neil
24-Jun-2009, 11:16 AM
Some lucky folks got to see some of it. reactions from Twitter:

@dt4storms: Still in awe of meeting James Cameron... Avatar will change movie industry forever.. thank you Jim

@gjkooijman: is mindblown

@gjkooijman: still can't process the Avatar presentation he saw. It's nothing you can imagine, it's real. Cameron made a new planet and took a cam there.

@gjkooijman: saw 40 minutes of James Cameron's Avatar footage at the Cinema Expo tonight. THIS WILL CHANGE MOVIES FOREVER. Trust me, it will.

@NafRas: OMG keep this in mind James Cameron's AVATAR this Dec. it's gonna rock the way u see movies! Preview @ cinema expo leaves me wanting more

@sperling: It's official! The footage from "Avatar" shown at Cine Expo was amazing. Absolutely stunning in 3D. Should be a huge hit.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo: CGI was photorealistic, characters look really real. Believe the hype, this movie will be massive!

@UCSNord: Fox's product presentation at #cinexpo offered about 15-20 mins of "Avatar" footage in 3D, presented by Cameron & members of the cast.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo was presented by Cameron, Weaver, Worthington, Saldana and Lang, who all attended the after-party.

@UCSNord: Footage from "Avatar" at #cinexpo was stunning, literally jawdropping. Amazing visuals unlike any before seen, with incredible detail.

@UCSNord: The screening room was packed, I'd say about 1500 to 2000, around there. Genuine excitement and an amazed crowd.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/

bassman
24-Jun-2009, 12:07 PM
After seeing pictures of the tie in video game, I'm extremely curious as to how different and unique this is really going to look. If the video game is even close to what the planet looks like in the film, it's not that amazing.:shifty:

But Cameron's never let me down. He's the kinda guy that at the last second could pull a real alien out of his ass and say "I made this movie with actual aliens. Because I'm Jim Cameron. Bitch.", and I wouldn't even question it...

Where's the friggin trailer already?!?

Neil
24-Jun-2009, 01:50 PM
But Cameron's never let me down. He's the kinda guy that at the last second could pull a real alien out of his ass and say "I made this movie with actual aliens. Because I'm Jim Cameron. Bitch.", and I wouldn't even question it...
LOL!

Yep! Actually filming on location for Titanic :)

bassman
24-Jun-2009, 02:04 PM
Seriously....Cameron has never made a bad film, imo. There were some better than others, but he's always entertained me. So I doubt he's going to go wrong anytime soon.

I'm just dying to see what it is that's so amazing about this new technology. And I wonder if the trailer will be released in 3d for the people that have 3d glasses. Quite a few dvds come with them now...

If we don't get the full affect of this new technology in the trailer, would it even be worth putting it online or in theaters that aren't IMAX 3D?

blind2d
25-Jun-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm definitely skipping this. First Transformers and Dragonball Z, now GI Joe and Avatar? Geez, when's Banjo-Kazooie: The Movie coming out?

MoonSylver
25-Jun-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm definitely skipping this. First Transformers and Dragonball Z, now GI Joe and Avatar? Geez, when's Banjo-Kazooie: The Movie coming out?

Er....not THAT Avatar....:confused:

bassman
25-Jun-2009, 10:52 AM

Yeah....wrong "Avatar". It just happens to have a similar name.

But if you're interested in that Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon, I hear that M. Night Shymalan is working on it now.:dead:

blind2d
25-Jun-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh! ...Boy, is my face red. Sorry about that.