PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Set Journal - My Day As A Zombie

livingdeadboy
09-Jan-2007, 08:05 PM
From Justin Dmitruk comes "My Day As A Zombie"

Hi all, as promised here is what took place last Wednesday when I spent the day in Guelph to film my TV project and to film a cameo for Mr. Eveneshen's latest film. This is kind of a long standing joke between us now because this past summer someone made a funny comment on a forum on www.homepageofthedead.com that someone said I was like Reese's Bruce Campbell, for the non-film buffs like us that means on matter what movie, no matter how small or unimportant the role, I will always be in his movies. Bruce Campbell is a cult following actor who always is in Sam Raimi films. The two started out together making the Evil Dead trilogy and since then has made a appearance in lots of his films, even Spider-Man (as the ring announcer) and Spider-Man 2 (as the snooty usher, he's credited that way). So even though originally I had more prominent roles in his films in the past, now (and hopefully for forever) my roles will be small cameos. For this film a play a chef that is in the community hall that Reese's character, Johnny runs into. My role is for a laugh and it lasts less then two minutes.

My day stated early, as I had to catch the GO bus to Gulp. I almost missed the 96 Wilson to Yorkdale mall. I just made it with maybe ten minutes to spare and the GO bus was off at around 8:50 a.m. Now for the unimformed, the GO bus is essentially a city bus that goes to several different cities and towns. So it's not like a Greyhound that makes one stop at the destination it's heading but rather it makes several stops. And guess what folks, Guelph is the very last stop on that particular bus. So two hours later I arrived in Guelph and Reese was there to greet me. We hoped on a city bus to his house ands started talking the day and our standard conversations (other movies we plan to make usually) But we also got to talking about this video on you tube called Tourettes Guy. It is so funny I can't even explain how funny it is. Essentially it shows this guy with the syndrome at home and how he reacts to everything. Reese and I started talking about that and almost laughed our asses off.

We eventually made it to his house and sat back for awhile. We filmed my interview with him (with the teaser for Night of the Living Dead '07 playing in the background, might as well get a shill out of it, even if my class is the only one that sees it) and he stated his opinion on film school. As the time approached we waited for Reese's producer on this film Judith. I have heard about her for awhile but had never met her, although she told Reese we've met. He and I can think of a time we could have. While we waited for her, the time passed three and Reese hates being late. He was getting frustrated until Judith finally showed and we loaded up into the car and headed to the community hall. When we arrived, we saw the zombie volunteer for the day (and our luck we had one armed guy show up to play a zombie, sweetness! Exploitation rules!) Reese put make-up on him and his actor he met on his other film he is working on Summoned, Anson showed up and got prepared (look at this real actor! How'd we get that! I'm use to Reese directing a friend of ours not someone, you know, that can actually act) (no offense to our friends, I’m only kidding). As Reese finished the make-up, I got footage of him doing the make-up and we got down to business.

We went to the kitchen where my scene was to filmed and we got to filming. As usual I ad-lib a little and added a line about how I hate mopping (which is a shoot, for wrestling terms). Reese thought I was funny and he went ahead and started to make me up to be a dead body. I lied on the ground with my shirt torn open and blood all over it and cloth and fruit by the foot serving as my guts. Bob, the one armed zombie, got down and acted as if he was eating me alive. I just sat there playing dead. For a special effect Reese got Bob to throw blood onto the wall to symbolize a head shot. It got pretty messy. And unfortunately I tried not to get blood on my pants but failed and got lots on it. So I hade to wear those home e and luckily no bugged me about it.

As Bob finished and and I got cleaned up as much as possible we continued to film a little, a scene with Anson and Reese I shot. After we finished we headed to a Wendy's for dinner and I was to leave shortly after. Judith took me to the bus stop and said this is it and I looked confused. I looked around and didn't recognize anything from earlier. I called Reese and said I had no idea where I was and he said where all the busses were. I got dropped off and walked around in a circle for a couple of minutes and still didn't know where to go. I eventually remembered we came through a strip mall and I saw one and went through it and finally found the bus terminal. I got on the 8:10 GO bus and sat back.

The bus eventually arrived at York dale and I immediately hoped on the subway back to Wilson station. I knew right away I wouldn't be home until 11 p.m. And I was right, the bus stopped at Humber college around 11 and I headed down the street home. I got into my room and put on Justice League and climbed into bed for sleep. The next day I had a 8 a.m. class, it was going to be a tiring day. But all in all, the day was fun and it made me remember how much fun moviemaking is (at least for our crazy crowd).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/reesterfx/eaten2.jpg