PDA

View Full Version : Video Picture show - Deadlands

DjfunkmasterG
23-Mar-2006, 12:01 PM
I made a 40 second clip of some pics from our last shooting weekend. Check it out here.

http://media.putfile.com/Deadlands-Photo-show

Dawg
23-Mar-2006, 11:10 PM
I was going to pick one up to use as well, lot quicker to do make-up that way. (I thought I got one before, but maybe I am imagining things.)

Anyway, I always wondered what type of paint can you use with these to spray onto skin? You wouldn't want to use permanent paint or anything toxic, but something that would wash off pretty easy, at least with rubbing alcohol. What brand/type is it and where would you pick it up at? (Store/Internet Site)

Thanks man!

:dead: Dawg :skull:

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 01:14 AM
It is an airbrush unit actually. I know it cost me $400.00 but Stephanie, the Make-Up Supervisor, Ordered it. I will be seeing her in a few days and I will ask her where she got it. Just remind me via PM if I forget to post it. With all the post production and principal photography work I am doing, the little stuff slips my mind.

I know she said it came from New Orleans... I don't question her I just give her the cash and let her do her thing. :evil:

7feet
27-Mar-2006, 10:52 AM
Airbrushes are great for this kind of work. A nice airbrush is a great thing, but for many applications a $50 airbrush will do the trick just fine, you just can't usually get as insane with the detail. For 4 bills, I'm figuring that includes compressor, regulator and stuff, which is not bad for a good machine. If you are not going to use it a ton, there are adapters you can use to hook them up to cans of compressed gas made for them, or connect them to tires (very handy if you have no source of power at the shoot). For a bit more working time, one of those portable tanks you can fill up from a compressor are a good economical solution.

And one last, that I used on the last zombie film I worked on, are Preval sprayers. You can find them in most hardware and craft stores. A lot like spraypainting, except you choose the material you want to spray, and the propellant units are cheap and disposable. My compressor had crapped out, so I used them to spray the base tone on the zombies for scenes where there was a bunch. Could cover a whole body in minutes, and then do othere color and mottling by hand.

There's lots of makeup you can run through an airbrush or sprayer. Actually, Mehron liquid makeup, diluted, is dirt cheap and works pretty well. Most specifically airbrush makeups are alcohol based, and can be pretty expensive, but they go a long way.

My formula for bulk (and most of the prosthetic) makeup was a mix 50:50 of rubber mask greasepaint and Silicolor (www.michaeldavy.com, an acylic binder - keeps it from rubbing or sweating off) cut with 99% isopropyl alchohol until it was a nice sprayable consistency. For backgrounds and most body covereage I used Mehron RMG (again, it's pretty cheap), for the mains and detail I used Davy's water soluble RMG (decidedly not cheap, but reall nice stuff). You can also use the silicolor tinted directly with cosmetic pigments (damn near bulletproof) or FW acrylic inks (alcohol based acrylic illustration ink that a lot of us use for coloring prostetics, good color selection and again, pretty cheap. With that, you could cut down the binder a lot, maybe 75:25).

Theres probably some other binders out there, and I don't want to sound like I'm pimping for Michael too much, but everything I've gotten from him has been really, really good. But if you want to go for quick and cheap (but effective), the liquid makeup and preval sprayers are the trick. Most good makeup removers will take off any of this stuff. I usually use a combo of remover and isoproply alcohol, depending on how sensitive the area is.

And fer crying out loud, get behind the actors ears and the whole neckline! Makes me want to scream everytime I see that... (this is just a general comment and not to be construed as a gripe about anything I've seen here lately).