PDA

View Full Version : The young, the infirm, the old, etc....

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 03:16 PM
Every zombie films I've seen never had kids, old people, or those who are handicapped or infirm in some manner as part of the group trying to survive. In the coming zombie apocalypse, would you --- with your skills and knowledge of what needs to be done to survive --- try and help kids, the elderly and the just plain sick and handicap survive?

I would also add women who are pregnant and showing, and infants. Would you endanger yourself and/or your group to help these people who are pretty much defenseless?

Adrenochrome
23-Mar-2006, 03:27 PM
We'd definitely need the kids around for re-population (eventually, of course) - They'd need to be educated on the basics and kept healthy so their generation could "fix things" and move on.
I think with the elderly, it would have to be their choice; can they keep up, if not, do we fortify some sort of shelter for them to wait for death by natural causes? Or give them the option for euthanasia?

As far as the preggers and the infants; you'd pretty much have to "endanger" yourself to ensure some sort of future for mankind. That, or just scavenge until you were the last "non-zombie"

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 03:31 PM
We'd definitely need the kids around for re-population (eventually, of course) - They'd need to be educated on the basics and kept healthy so their generation could "fix things" and move on.
I think with the elderly, it would have to be their choice; can they keep up, if not, do we fortify some sort of shelter for them to wait for death by natural causes? Or give them the option for euthanasia?

Yeah it's much easier for kids and the elderly. I think the hardest one to decide on, or maybe its the easiest depending on how badly one wants to survive, would be the mentally and physically challenged people. Anyone who has seen people take care, or anyone who has taken care, of a handicapped individual knows how exhausting it could be.

I think with me, if I had to decide whats best for the group and I've been elected to make the hard decisions, I'd leave such people behind. It might sound coldhearted and callous, but they might just cause enough of a "distraction" from an incoming horde to allow the rest of the group to escape.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 03:38 PM
I think one way of looking at it is to take the "Experienced" individuals, such as military trained or the most experienced in your group (If your fortunate enough to have a group that is!) and Give each of them an assigned Partner. Like a buddy system. The preg's and the Toddlers with the MOST experienced and the elderly (pretty much walkin dead already, but still have a chance so why not give it to them) with the Semi-Experienced.

at least one woman Strong enough to bear child at that time or at least within a reasonable time frame to survive is of the Utmost importance. The children should be trained to beaqr arms and brandish weapons if the need arises. Children can be very useful in tight situations. If you need to get into a place and the only available entrance is a Small crack in the wall or something of the sort I would send a well armed child in to do what is necessary instead of causing a scene and banging and breaking windows and doors.

Adrenochrome
23-Mar-2006, 03:40 PM
I think with me, if I had to decide whats best for the group and I've been elected to make the hard decisions, I'd leave such people behind. It might sound coldhearted and callous, but they might just cause enough of a "distraction" from an incoming horde to allow the rest of the group to escape.

I might try to find a place for them to, at least, try to live on; ask for volunteers that wiould stay behind and care for them. Afterall, we would still be human, and there would be those of us that were "caregivers". I would definitley want to survive, but, I would also want to help those that couldn't help themselves. Zombies would be humans reduced to animals; the survivors would still have human emotions.

The children should be trained to beaqr arms and brandish weapons if the need arises. Children can be very useful in tight situations. If you need to get into a place and the only available entrance is a Small crack in the wall or something of the sort I would send a well armed child in to do what is necessary instead of causing a scene and banging and breaking windows and doors.

excellent point

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 03:43 PM
The children should be trained to beaqr arms and brandish weapons if the need arises. Children can be very useful in tight situations. If you need to get into a place and the only available entrance is a Small crack in the wall or something of the sort I would send a well armed child in to do what is necessary instead of causing a scene and banging and breaking windows and doors.

That's well and good if there was time to train kids to do such things. I think once a group has survived on the road or in a well-defended and well-stocked building then training kids to how to survive would be paramount, but during the initial outbreak they're really a liability. A liability that needs to be protected, but a liability nonetheless. I agree that kids should be protected at all cost and child-rearing women, but that would mean that hard decisions need to be made on the fly about how to run such a group.

In all the good zombie films and books I've read it's always those who were helpless or untrained who put the rest of the group in danger. By keeping a tight, almost dictatorial leash on such people for their own and the group's safety, will survival go up instead of down.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 03:49 PM
It's true, I think that they are a liability. But without them, there is no future really.
I am a cold hearted kinda guy I can promise you that if there was a situation and the Pregger or the child was infected I would have no trouble looking down the barrel of my 710 and making some lasagna for the group, BUT, it is important to remember the future in all of this as well ya know?

As long as one woman or female child survives and one man or boy survives the future could, and I stress the word COULD, be much brighter.
:D

[QUOTE=Tullaryx]That's well and good if there was time to train kids to do such things.

If the terrain allows for it I think an open field with plenty of view and plenty of open area this could be accomplished semi-easily?

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 03:53 PM
Actually, to make sure you have a stable genepool.. it would be ideal to have 4-5 young, child-rearing women. :)

If the terrain allows for it I think an open field with plenty of view and plenty of open area this could be accomplished semi-easily?

That would be the only time they could really practice. Which brings up the other factor. How much ammo could be set aside to train these kids?

Svengoolie
23-Mar-2006, 03:57 PM
The upcoming film "Zombies" (originally a Tobe Hooper project) features a zombie attack with some kids amoung the featured survivors (the little girl from the Amityville Horror Remake is in that one).

Don't know how good it'll be without Tobe, but I'll still give it a shot.:cool:

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 04:01 PM
This is very true, without a stable gene pool, well, you end up with a remake of the "THE HILLS HAVE EYES":eek: :eek: Did I say that? :elol:

As far as the ammo situation, I learned the proper handling of a weapon when I was young without bullets. I think that if you have the knowledge to hold a weapon and you can at least fire once or twice (in this situation anyway) you can feel the weapons power and learn to respect it. But I do see your point, Its to hard to wast time and ammo providing there are enough people who are NOT kids who can brandish a fire arm. I would give my gun to a kid before giving it to an adult who may be un-stable.

[QUOTE=Svengoolie]The upcoming film "Zombies" (originally a Tobe Hooper project) features a zombie attack with some kids amoung the featured survivors (the little girl from the Amityville Horror Remake is in that one).

Is that the new movie MORTUARY I have heard so much about?

Svengoolie
23-Mar-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know.

It's entirely possible, though. Here's a bit about it from a site run by a friend of mine--the post was made by a young girl who runs Chloe Moretz's fan site:

Well, the movie was directed by Joe Cardone (aka J.S., as he is listed at IMDb). The movie stars Lori Heuring, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Scout Taylor-Compton. They filmed for 6 weeks in a small town in Bulgaria, where it was freezing cold. Unfortunately, they had a lot of outside scenes. I know there was a lot of blood involved in the movie and both girls had to be covered in fake blood, which was very sticky and gross.

If there are specific questions, I can answer them better. I don't know what all to say when I'm given a general question. :P

This is the plot from IMDb:
Recently widowed Karen Tunney and her two daughters, Sarah and Emma, move to a remote mountain home which Karen has inherited from the family of her late husband. However, she is unaware that the home is situated near an old mine, the site of an early 20th century tragedy in which many children were buried alive...

With the project changing hands like that, it's not just possible, but probable, that it got a name change as well.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I think thats it. It will be on Sci-Fi channel (Not sure if Everyone has that or not..LOL) for its debut on Saturday at 9pm Eastern time. It looks pretty cool.

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 04:22 PM
I think the one good thing about training kids to handle a weapon, especially a comfortable enough sized firearm, is that kids are very malleable and faster to really train properly than adults. Really, an ideal type of firearm to give and train a kid on so they're usefulness ratchets up abit are .22 caliber long-rifle. the recoil is pretty non-existant and .22 caliber long-rifle ammo is one of the most common ammunition caliber there is. Hell, places like K-Mart and Wal-Mart carries thousands of such things. Not to mention any fishing and wildlife store.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 04:39 PM
Thats very true! And I think it would be the best choice to start off with as well.

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 04:46 PM
Next question would be...what would you do if someone in your group was bitten, even a small bite. Would try and take care of that person, use that person to help the group out until they can't anymore then either kill them before they die and reanimate, or wait til they do reaimate before killing them,.

Rottedfreak
23-Mar-2006, 05:23 PM
Wheelchair bound folk would have to take one for the team as would anyone reliant on medication. Elderly are on their own, kids are however worth saving.

if someone was bitten and it was common knowledge that amputation wouldn't save them, give them your time before they pass away and then deal with them.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 08:01 PM
There is absolutely NO other choice in my mind but to take them out immediately!

Tullaryx
23-Mar-2006, 08:23 PM
There is absolutely NO other choice in my mind but to take them out immediately!

Even if you know they won't turn right away. Plus, you and those in your group shouldbe able to tell if and when they start to become too weak too help. Not to sound callous again, I'd use them at that time as bait or a way to slow down a mob of zombies. Just hand over a gun with one bullet to kill themselves right before the mob arrives. A fresh dead body is the same as a live one to zombies so they'll be ripping that corpse to shred before they turn their attention back to you and your group.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, I see your point but
I still would not be handing any weapons over to the wounded. I would set up times for people to watch the wounded, at any sign of change they would take the necessary action. Offering the weapon over to the wrong person in that situation could result in tragedy.

What if: The wounded man/woman got to thinking about how things would play out. What if they were thinking about there future and how obviously bleak and short it will be considering present company, and began to fire the weapon at, lets say as hypothetical, the leader of the group?
Even one bullet in this situation would be detrimental I think.

jdog
23-Mar-2006, 10:58 PM
i would let the person make there own choice about what to do.
i would also get as much use out of them as i could to, unless they are to badly hurt. if this is the case then they are bait.

Adrenochrome
24-Mar-2006, 12:24 AM
That would be the only time they could really practice. Which brings up the other factor. How much ammo could be set aside to train these kids?

collect supplies for a make-shift "re-loader station"; keep all the wasted brass you could (maybe use the kids as "picker uppers - this would also train them in speed and quick thinking), melt enough lead to reload. Of course this would have to be a set-up that could be broken down and set back up each time you made "camp"
Lead is quick to melt, you'd raid ammo stores for the powder and molds for different callibers. When an empty shell is flung from most semi autos, they never land more than a few feet away. I'd get some system working for collecting and reloading.

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 03:47 AM
Nice Adren!

A strong fire and lead could be easily molded. I feel like Tommy in NOTLD90 when he said "I must be some kinda stupid, Them old doors, we could use those". Thats a great idea!

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 04:00 AM
What if it's a love one who become bitten and infected? Like a brother, sister, wife, mother, father, etc.... Anyone here be able to do what's right and kill them?

Adrenochrome
24-Mar-2006, 04:37 AM
What if it's a love one who become bitten and infected? Like a brother, sister, wife, mother, father, etc.... Anyone here be able to do what's right and kill them?
If they become infected, kill them.

Trencher
24-Mar-2006, 02:01 PM
Sure I take care of the weak and useless.
If someone got bitten I give them weapons and send them on kamikaze mission to kill as many zombies as possible. Or I could just shoot them here and now. Off course if there was any doctors or scientist types around I would let them experiment on the bitten in the hope to find a cure.

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 03:17 PM
If they become infected, kill them.

Even early in the outbreak when info still confusing. I think a stranger I'd be able to pop them one in the head without much guilt, but a love one would be difficult. In the end, I'll do it, but not before alot of soulsearching and anguished second thoughts.

Adrenochrome
24-Mar-2006, 03:24 PM
Even early in the outbreak when info still confusing. I think a stranger I'd be able to pop them one in the head without much guilt, but a love one would be difficult. In the end, I'll do it, but not before alot of soulsearching and anguished second thoughts.
If zombies are running around eating people, there is no room for "soul searching" it's all about survival.

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 05:04 PM
I would not hesitate. :dead: :dead: :dead: