PDA

View Full Version : The Many Filters Of Night

livingdeadboy
12-Jan-2007, 10:09 PM
Well since this hosted forum is up, expect an onslaught of new threads about behind the scenes stuff. I love reading crap on how various film makers make their film look the way they do. So I figured i'd post a brief note on the filtering process of Night.

I am here in the editing room, editing Night on...iMovie lol. I love Final Cut, don't get me wrong...but iMovie, when its loaded up with a sh*t load of features, can be one awesome editing tool.

Okay so first we start off with the raw footage.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/reesterfx/1-1.jpg

And there it is, not very exciting to look at in my own opinion. So what I do is head on over to the Color Monochrome section, and add a nice sickly green color. (From the get go, whilst writing the script, I knew I wanted the movie to be tinted a type of green, just to but emphasis on the whole virus, sickly feeling of things.)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/reesterfx/2.jpg

Now we've got the green filter on, now thats all fine and dandy, but its not much. You just took the old raw footage and made it green...well la de da. So, we go ahead and adjust the gamma, to darken it down a bit.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/reesterfx/3.jpg

Now the final step, my personal fav step at that. The "80's Look" as I call it. Now you wont be able to see it really on the still, but it adds dust to the filter..scratches if you want. But above all it gives a really neat tint to your movie.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/reesterfx/4.jpg

And there it is, thats all the fun from the editing room for now:)

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2007, 10:53 PM
Very cool little visual demo.

I've been meaning to get off my lazy arse and bust into a new bit of editing kit and utilise the power of grading ... maybe I'll get onto that sometime soon...

Mind you, the good thing about the DVX is that you can fiddle some of these settings around 'in camera' (such as gamma and so forth) ... of course, for whole grading schemes you have to do all that in post to make it all look funky. :)

Nice stuff. :thumbsup:

capncnut
13-Jan-2007, 12:15 AM
Very impressive. It was the filter work in this movie that I was initially drawn to. I think I said something like "cold and steely" but "green and sickly" works also. Roll on this March then. :)

Oh yeah, do we have any idea on the running time or dvd extra features yet?

livingdeadboy
13-Jan-2007, 01:29 PM
Very impressive. It was the filter work in this movie that I was initially drawn to. I think I said something like "cold and steely" but "green and sickly" works also. Roll on this March then. :)

Oh yeah, do we have any idea on the running time or dvd extra features yet?

The movie will run probably somewhere between 70 to 80 mins. As for the DVD extras, I am not 100% sure what the dvd will have in store. So far I would say some bloopers. An interview with myself and what I thought about the fan response.

bobcobb
13-Jan-2007, 07:01 PM
who is releasing the dvd, and where will it be available?

livingdeadboy
13-Jan-2007, 10:54 PM
who is releasing the dvd, and where will it be available?

It will be a totally self distributed DVD.

bobcobb
14-Jan-2007, 01:43 AM
so how can I get a copy when it comes out

14-Jan-2007, 02:02 AM
What's with SOAD on your N07 preview?

livingdeadboy
14-Jan-2007, 10:09 PM
What's with SOAD on your N07 preview?

thats a question for the webmaster of that site who made the video. I just add my two cents here and there.

so how can I get a copy when it comes out

you'll be able to buy directly from the site through a paypal account.

axlish
14-Jan-2007, 11:09 PM
livingdeadboy, you are using the Panasonic PV-GS500 correct? I am going to be using that camera on my next flick.

HLS
15-Jan-2007, 12:42 AM
Very nice!

livingdeadboy
15-Jan-2007, 02:22 AM
livingdeadboy, you are using the Panasonic PV-GS500 correct? I am going to be using that camera on my next flick.

Yeah thats the cam I use, its a great camera!