PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

capncnut
15-Jan-2007, 01:35 AM
Just watched this for the first time on Five this evening after listening to years of "don't go there, it's a pile of s**t!" and I have to say it wasn't all that bad. I absolutely loved it when the machines took over and started obliterating the humans but there wasn't enough of it for my liking. Kristianna Loken was a fearsome adversary and I thought she fit the role quite well. There's no disputing that it's nowhere near as good as the first two but I still thought it was a worthy entry even though Nick Stahl was as dull as dishwater. A bit late I know but any thoughts?

axlish
15-Jan-2007, 03:19 AM
Like you said, not as good as the prior two, but it still held its own. I love the big car chase towards the beginning.

Khardis
15-Jan-2007, 03:23 AM
Just watched this for the first time on Five this evening after listening to years of "don't go there, it's a pile of s**t!" and I have to say it wasn't all that bad. I absolutely loved it when the machines took over and started obliterating the humans but there wasn't enough of it for my liking. Kristianna Loken was a fearsome adversary and I thought she fit the role quite well. There's no disputing that it's nowhere near as good as the first two but I still thought it was a worthy entry even though Nick Stahl was as dull as dishwater. A bit late I know but any thoughts?

agreed, there was no chance for it to be as great as the other 2, which is why I am glad they added a LOT of comedic moments to lighten the mood.

Danny
15-Jan-2007, 06:55 AM
to be fair is the any way they could have outdone judgement day?

axlish
15-Jan-2007, 12:19 PM
to be fair is the any way they could have outdone judgement day?

I think so. I think a movie set during the future wars could be very powerful. They'd need to bring back the music from part one.

I like part one better than part two, so Cameron had already "outdone judgement day".

bassman
15-Jan-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, "Rise of the Machines" wasn't all that bad. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the first two, but it entertained quite well. I think that's why alot of people said it was aweful....they expected the first two films all over.

My only gripe is that they didn't bring back Edward Furlong and replaced him with Nick Stahl. Stahl's a good actor, but Furlong can walk circles around him. I heard they didn't just because Furlong got busted on a drug charge(which hollywood actor hasn't???).

I've heard that they're moving forward with "T4" and it will be set during the wars. Hopefully they can handle it....

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 12:29 PM
So, now we have T4 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles to look forward to...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2007, 12:41 PM
When they announced T3 back in the day and said Johnathan Mostow, the director of U-571 would helm it I was like... "he would be my choice if Cameron turned it down."

While T3 is no T1, or 2 for that matter it was still a decent entry. However, the action sequences in T2 wer outstanding for their time. My favorite scene from T2 is when Ahnuld gets out of the little pick-up truck and walks onto the rig at 60mph and begins unloading the Machine gun into the T-1000's face The shot and the scene it self was frigging outstanding... I loved it

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 12:44 PM
Agreed... that was a very cool scene. Although I thought the scenes where Sarah is stalking Miles Dyson and shooting his place up was kinda cool.

Danny
15-Jan-2007, 12:55 PM
you cant beat the bit were he blows up all the police cars with a machine gun either:cool:

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 12:56 PM
Ahh yes... the Minigun....

bassman
15-Jan-2007, 01:00 PM
James Cameron's opinion of "T3": "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it".

If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".

And just a little tidbit that I found interesting.....Cameron on the "Alien" franchise and his possible return???: "Alien 3" - "Hated it. Simple as that. I hated what they did.... I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that. We're looking at doing another one. Something similiar to what we did with Aliens. A bunch of great characters, and of course Sigourney. I've even discussed the possibility of putting him [Arnold Schwarzenegger] into the Alien movie".

Hrmm. He's got my attention.:)

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 01:02 PM
Arnold in an Aliens movie?

I can't see it happening...

Danny
15-Jan-2007, 01:06 PM
he might have been good, but 'governor' schwarzenegger staring in a violent film, cant see him doing that too often anymore.

_liam_
15-Jan-2007, 01:09 PM
lol, you guys are so forgiving, i thought t3 was f***ing awful! john connor was like, a totally different person, the t-1bigtits was ridiculous (how is an endoskeleton covered in liquid metal superior to something entirely liquid metal?) the reprise of the plot was ridiculous, they went to all that effort to destroy skynet, burning the building down & killing dyson, and it turned out someone had it all on backup anyway. ridiculous considering skynet was at the research & developement stage.

the "disco ball" time travel thing was dumb. hated the humour in the movie, hated the look of the movie - t2 was a beautiful, cold looking medley of greys, silvers and blues, this one just looked like any other movie. it just felt like a cheap tv series spin off or something.

and also - sarah connors coffin was full of guns - didnt anyone at the funeral parlour wonder why her coffin was so heavy?

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 01:11 PM
so liam....

you didn't like it much then...

bassman
15-Jan-2007, 01:28 PM
Arnold in an Aliens movie?

I can't see it happening...

Yeah....I really don't either. Besides, most people in the audience would probably be thinking "Dutch???".

I was more interested in the possibility of Cameron returning to the Alien franchise.

Cykotic
15-Jan-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, I've heard rumours that if AVP2 does very well, then Fox is gonna do another Alien movie.

Yep.... never gonna happen...

bassman
15-Jan-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, I've heard rumours that if AVP2 does very well, then Fox is gonna do another Alien movie.

Yep.... never gonna happen...

I don't know man. The guys that are directing the next one(the Strouse Bros.) seem to know what they're doing. It's looking VERY promising. Especially compared to Anderson's crap-fest.

axlish
15-Jan-2007, 02:45 PM
For my money, nothing beats the Tech-Noir sequence in T1.

_liam_
15-Jan-2007, 04:10 PM
yeah man that was one of the best bits in the franchise, where it all goes slo mo and the people seem to bopping in time to the incidental music... proper bo like

Eyebiter
15-Jan-2007, 04:23 PM
T3 was okay, but it seemed a bit self aware. Parts of it were seemed like a parody of the first two terminator movies (bar scene, traffic cop stop, trying to make the 850 act more human). Too bad that Edward Furlong couldn't get his act together for the third movie or the TV series.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles sound interesting

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851851/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sarah_Connor_Chronicles

capncnut
15-Jan-2007, 05:27 PM
Cameron on the "Alien" franchise and his possible return???: "Alien 3" - "Hated it. Simple as that. I hated what they did... I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in aliens..."

Twentieth Century Fox should've stuck with the original Vincent Ward screenplay. End of.

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2007, 06:59 PM
pfft - a piss poor pile of poo in my eyes, it is.

Loken is just there to be "fit", the name "Terminatrix" is just retarded - it's a name invented by a human being, not a machine - T-1000 and T-800, those are names created by a machine. "Terminatrix" involves a certain amount of literary understanding and human reaction, not the cold black & white and systematic organisation of a machine.

The comedy thrown in was hideous, awful. When he puts on those stupid glasses after pinching clothes from not a butch biker, but a pretty boy stripper *sigh*.

Stahl was boring, listless and had none of the vim & vinegar of the original Connor.

The machines were re-designed, and looked crap. The endoskeletons were CGI ... they looked like a bloody cartoon. The future sequence lasted about 60 seconds and that was our lot.

The film is far too self-aware, the dialogue is hokey, and the action is standard style Hollywood stuff - not the ballsy Cameron type stuff we got in the first two movies, which were his vision. The Terminator only works with Cameron.

I've got a whole host of other grievances, it was a shockingly bad film. As far as I'm concerned, T2 ended the franchise on an exceptionally high note.

Neil
15-Jan-2007, 09:23 PM
lol, you guys are so forgiving, i thought t3 was f***ing awful! john connor was like, a totally different person, the t-1bigtits was ridiculous (how is an endoskeleton covered in liquid metal superior to something entirely liquid metal?) the reprise of the plot was ridiculous, they went to all that effort to destroy skynet, burning the building down & killing dyson, and it turned out someone had it all on backup anyway. ridiculous considering skynet was at the research & developement stage.

the "disco ball" time travel thing was dumb. hated the humour in the movie, hated the look of the movie - t2 was a beautiful, cold looking medley of greys, silvers and blues, this one just looked like any other movie. it just felt like a cheap tv series spin off or something.

and also - sarah connors coffin was full of guns - didnt anyone at the funeral parlour wonder why her coffin was so heavy?

I wouldn't say it was aweful, but it was somewhat ham-fisted. ie: Your comment on John Connor...

It just wasn't as solid and tight in script and production as the previous two... Shame... It was OK though...

_liam_
15-Jan-2007, 09:57 PM
aye it wasnt the worst film ever i guess, id give it 5/10 on a good day. not as bad as biggie disappointments like alien resurrection and the phantom menace...dont get me started

capncnut
16-Jan-2007, 04:24 AM
Phantom Menace, I agree that was dog turd but Alien Resuerrection? That wasn't too bad. Some of the action sequences were pretty damn good, it's just a shame the alien 'baby' looked like a pile of vomit with eyes and a mouth.

axlish
16-Jan-2007, 12:26 PM
Phantom Menace, I agree that was dog turd but Alien Resuerrection? That wasn't too bad. Some of the action sequences were pretty damn good, it's just a shame the alien 'baby' looked like a pile of vomit with eyes and a mouth.

Oh come now! When Ron Pearman did his upside down on the ladder double gun bit I had to shut the movie off :)

capncnut
16-Jan-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah maybe but the underwater sequence kicked serious butt.

SymphonicX
16-Jan-2007, 01:14 PM
oh god no this movie was so full of ****. I hated it. It stepped upon the brilliant plotlines made by the first two...the woman terminator was awful so were the stupid and unnecessary puns ("talk to the hand"). It was just stupid and it gave skynet a face that I would NEVER have wanted to see.

Now if you ask me, I would have made a prequel focusing on how the human survivors managed to capture the time displacement equipment and came to smash the terminators grid or whatever Mr Bienh was chatting about in the first movie.

Danny
16-Jan-2007, 04:44 PM
still, i liked how the shot of a t-101's skull in the ash brought the whole thing full circle that was a nice touch.

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2007, 05:43 PM
Hmmm ... one nice touch in a film full of bad touches? No thanky-panky.

Terminator 3 simply doesn't know when to stop touching you in the bathing suit area after you've told it that it makes you feel funny, and not in a good way. :rockbrow:

Danny
16-Jan-2007, 05:59 PM
"dont touch me there":lol: ......ew.

still it wasnt the same director that made t2 so you couldnt have expected something so awesome youd leave the cinema hunched over, man what is it with people making creepy pervo comments on this forum today, its catching.:lol:

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2007, 06:12 PM
The only way you could get a boner over T3 would be using the l'il blue cheatin' pill.

Cameron is the creator of the Terminator films, and his two Terminator films were just fantastic and pushed the boundaries and went far beyond their expected means. T3 is just another Hollywood fill-in-the-blank. :(

Danny
16-Jan-2007, 06:28 PM
The only way you could get a boner over T3 would be using the l'il blue cheatin' pill.

so if neo didnt choose the red one it would have gone all x-rated?:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
19-Jan-2007, 10:26 AM
You know the Matrix has been both a blessing and burden to the film industry. The Matrix designed new ways for action films to be shot, but the burden of it is now everyone and their mother is doing it. I mean I haven't seen any action films lately that don't go all slo-mo during some huge action fight. However, The Wachowski brothers take way to much credit for that because director Sam Peckinpah was actually one of the first filmmakers to use the slo-mo technique during big action events.

_liam_
19-Jan-2007, 11:40 AM
yeah they didnt pioneer much (although the bullet time flo mo stuff was first used to decent effect in that movie), but what they did do was achieve a synthesis of many different styles that basically managed to look cooler than anything else that had come before, so we get a million subsequent movies with dudes in trenchcoats shooting stuff, and/or flomo gunfights.

i think maddox said it best;
"there's something about seeing bullet time in lebanese music videos that makes it a bit less impressive"

Danny
19-Jan-2007, 12:00 PM
lebenese music videos?:rockbrow:

yeah when it first game the matrix was awesome but it got so far up its own ass during the sequels that it couldnt have done better than the first, plus like with the bliar witch it got parodied to hell.

Wooley
20-Jan-2007, 09:22 PM
T3 wasn't bad at all, in my opinion. The ending was good, considering you know how many flicks just have to have that happy ending. Earl Boen's talk with Kate was funny, and Loken's TX reminded me of Robert Patrick's T-1000, normal looking human, until you check out their cold dead eyes, or the facial expressions that look more at home on a bird of prey than a human supposedly capable of mercy and emphathy.

Bongholio
20-Jan-2007, 09:51 PM
this movie gave a bad name to veterinarian druggy robbers everywhere

I am supposed to save the future so I get zonked out of my head all da** day
on feline tranquilizers
to relieve the "pain" of responsibility
some leader

_liam_
20-Jan-2007, 10:13 PM
lebenese music videos?:rockbrow:

lol yeah man, dont you travel or surf obscure digital channels? i know what he means...

EvilNed
21-Jan-2007, 12:15 AM
I liked T3. Why not? It's a good action flick with Arnold, lots of explosions, cool scenes and juicy robots. Not all of it is original, but it's well crafted. The plot was maybe a bit of a rehash of the first two, but then again I always thought the plot of T2 was just a rehash of T1 - but with a boy thrown in.

There seems to be alot of people who were determined to hate the film before they even saw it, just because James Cameron wasn't making it. But they should just let it go. Terminator 3 went in a different direction and most liked it. When I saw it in theathers everybody laughed at the jokes. So did I. They worked. They kind of poked fun at Arnold as the stereotypical bulky machine, which was something I appreciated since those are the flicks I grew up with.

As for Alien 4 I love it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's definetly original and has a great tone to it. It all falls together perfectly in a great Alien adventure. We hadn't seen that before. We had Alien the horror movie, Alien the war movie and Alien the thriller. So now we got Alien the adventure. Albeit not a very family friendly adventure... Probably the goriest of the bunch.

mista_mo
21-Jan-2007, 01:05 AM
I agree with Evilned...i liked Terminater 3...i actually liked it alot..i mean, it was funny, fun, filled with big booms, and good performaces from the cast involved. It wasn't my fav. movie, but it was a good movie, and undeserving of all of the hate many give it, which i hoenstly feel is just because such and such wasn't involved.

people seem to hate movies for that reason all the time.