PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead II

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2007, 10:51 PM
I was just reading the forums on IMDB for Evil Dead II. WOW half of those people are farking morons. They actually think that part II is a remake of the first one!!! I couldn't believe the crap they were saying! They must only watch the first 10 minutes (the recap) of the movie then turn it off.

Honestly, have any of you ever thought this was a remake of the first one?

One moron even argued with this:

Since you stated that 'everything else is brand new', you are supporting that the movie is a remake. If it was a sequel, 'everything else' would be the same as the first movie. There are too many differences in the movies for it to be a true sequel.

THAT MAKES NO FREAKIN SENSE!!! So by this jackass' reasoning that would mean BTTF II & III, Ghostbusters II, The Godfather II & III, etc. are all remakes of the first in the series. :mad:

Sorry, I just needed to vent to somebody and who better than all of you guys?

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2007, 11:25 PM
Its a sequel that shows a brief recap of what happened in the first film. Which I believe they lost the rights to or battling for in court. And they couldn't show footage from the first movie. I read somewhere that the other 3 characters were not shown or mentioned to save time and money. I could be wrong, but that's what I read.

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2007, 11:33 PM
And you're exactly right. Although over at the IMDB boards you'll have people coming down on you pretty hard for saying it's a sequel. :rolleyes:

Eyebiter
17-Jan-2007, 11:35 PM
The sequel vs. remake debate is also mentioned on the Evil Dead II wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead_II

Sequel or remake?

"There is some question as to whether the film is a sequel or a remake, since The Evil Dead ends with Ash (Campbell) apparently being run down by the invisible demon which killed all the other characters. However, after the recap of the events of The Evil Dead at the beginning of Evil Dead II (which condenses the Evil Dead story to include only Ash and Linda, the only two characters from the first film important to the story of Evil Dead II) Ash is hit by the same invisible force and the story continues from there..."

_liam_
18-Jan-2007, 12:01 AM
it is technically a sequel, but for all intents and purposes it's a bigger budget, more professionally done remake of the first one, that's why theyre practically both the same film in terms of what happens. it aint really much of a sequel in that respect.

it was a bit of strange decision to take his girlfriend out on a date to that cabin... also my memory might be duff but wasnt the book in the first one destroyed?

goin along with what that wikipedia entry said, i heard raimi say something along those lines once.

that said, at the end of the day it IS a sequel, that's why it's called evil dead TWO, not evil dead redux or something totally different (although they may have just kept the evil dead prefix so they could trade on the name of the first). dont let the IMDB morons get you down, those boards are bad for the health. they are mostly immature, arrogant, and incapable of being remotely civil towards people who have a different opinion or know less than them.

i can see why this has turned into a big ongoing debate, but then evil dead continuity is pretty shaky, ever notice how the start of army of darkness, with ash as a slave, doesnt really match up with the end of evil dead 2 (one of greatest endings ever) where everyone is hailing him as a king or whatever?

man i wish i could be a wee kid again and watch that for the first time. totally blew me away.

MikePizzoff
18-Jan-2007, 12:02 PM
it is technically a sequel, but for all intents and purposes it's a bigger budget, more professionally done remake of the first one, that's why theyre practically both the same film in terms of what happens. it aint really much of a sequel in that respect.

SPOILER POST

No no no. Only the first 10 minutes are a recap of the first one. Remember the first one ends with him being thrown out of the cabin by a spirit (or something like that)? That's where the second one begins... remember they show Ash and his girlfriend then he kills the demon her, yadda yadda, he gets thrown out into the woods and is a demon himself, the sun comes up, and the second movie begins.

Now you probably say "well then where were the other people from the first one if it was a recap?". They couldn't get the rights to the first film in order to show clips from it as a recap so instead of paying more actors, they just decided to stick to telling all you really needed to know: "Ash summons demons".

You also ask yourself "Well the book got destroyed in the first one...?" but remember... they wouldn't be able to make a sequel if they kept the book destroyed! So in the recap (I'm getting sick of that word) they don't have Ash destroying it.

Watch them back-to-back and you'll fully understand. In Evil Dead II, once it becomes daytime that's the start of the second movie.

Geophyrd
18-Jan-2007, 12:07 PM
I believe that Bruce Campbell said (either in an interview or his autobiography) that Evil Dead was low budget, designed to get a return on his investors' money (which I think was a bunch of dentists) so that he and Raimi could ask for more for the next movie. He said that Evil Dead II was kind of a remake that went further.

Having said that...you have WAY too much time on your hands.

MikePizzoff
18-Jan-2007, 12:44 PM
No. Within The Woods was made so they could raise the money to make a full-length film. Evil Dead was a remake of Within The Woods.

And I have way too much time on my hands because I know the difference between sequel and remake??? :rockbrow:

_liam_
18-Jan-2007, 01:35 PM
SPOILER POST

No no no. Only the first 10 minutes are a recap of the first one. Remember the first one ends with him being thrown out of the cabin by a spirit (or something like that)? That's where the second one begins... remember they show Ash and his girlfriend then he kills the demon her, yadda yadda, he gets thrown out into the woods and is a demon himself, the sun comes up, and the second movie begins.

yeah i know mate, thats what i meant by "goin along with what that wikipedia entry said".

it IS a sequel, but it's a remake in that they basically did the same thing, but with more money this time. raimi and campbell have both said words to this effect. it's both and neither, but more a sequel if you wanna argue the toss.

but goin back to what i said, is army of darkness a sequel or a standalone, seeing as the recap at the start doesnt exactly match what happened at the end of evil dead 2? continuity in this series is rickity at best & it's best not to take it that seriously.

and let's not start being all "you have too much time on your hands" etc, were all on a f***ing internet discussion board as opposed to snorting coke out of a hookers ass in the back of a limo on the riveira, easy now.

i'm anal as f*** about stuff like doctor who & videogames, but i have a decent job, a girlfriend, a band & a social life outside of all that, so how geeky you are doesn't really have much to do with how much time you have on your hands, it's just whether you can relate to the degree of geekiness someone posesses or not.

Rottedfreak
18-Jan-2007, 01:47 PM
It's forgivable people would think that as it's not clear it is a recap. Army of Darkness has a similar set up, at the end of Evil Dead 2 Ash is hailed as a hero from the get go after killing some demons at the start of Army of Darkness he's in a stockade being dragged to a castle.

MikePizzoff
18-Jan-2007, 02:06 PM
snorting coke out of a hookers ass in the back of a limo on the riveira, easy now.

Doesn't sound like such a bad idea... :evil:

i'm anal as f*** about stuff like doctor who & videogames, but i have a decent job, a girlfriend, a band & a social life outside of all that, so how geeky you are doesn't really have much to do with how much time you have on your hands, it's just whether you can relate to the degree of geekiness someone posesses or not.

Amen, brotha. Same here, except replace Doctor Who with Curb Your Enthusiasm.

EvilNed
18-Jan-2007, 04:15 PM
The first ten minutes of the film are more than a recap, since the film actually STARTS at the same spot where the first film starts: With Bruce and Linda arriving at the cabin.

I usually just say that the first ten minutes is a remake of the original (not a recap) and the rest is what happens after that.

bassman
18-Jan-2007, 04:19 PM
I've never seen the second one because I heard it's basically the same as the first.

I've only seen the original and Army of Darkness.

_liam_
18-Jan-2007, 04:43 PM
oh mate you need to sort that out, the 2nd is the best imho, has the thickest, most potent atmosphere of almost any film i've ever seen, the scary bits are scary and the funny bits are hilarious, it's great stuff.

bassman
18-Jan-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah....I'll have to record it if it's ever on the tube. I like "Army of Darkness", though. Nothing scary about it, but it's pretty damn funny.

Danny
18-Jan-2007, 04:49 PM
i liked army of darkness, you can tell he did hercules and xena by watching that.

MikePizzoff
18-Jan-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah....I'll have to record it if it's ever on the tube. I like "Army of Darkness", though. Nothing scary about it, but it's pretty damn funny.

You can probably find Evil Dead II for cheap in most stores.

This is how I categorize the three films:

Evil Dead - Pretty much straight up horror. Some comedy.

Evil Dead II - Seems to have set the staple for comedy/horror (along with Bad Taste).

Army Of Darkness - A comedy with some horror and action thrown in.