PDA

View Full Version : Music Question...

livingdeadboy
20-Jan-2007, 03:36 AM
Been wanting to use little bits and pieces of the score in this new Night, used one of the tracks in the opening of the film. Is there any serious copyright protection on the tunes, do I need to fear the music makers coming after me?

bassman
20-Jan-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm not 100% sure on the subject dude, but I think they are library tracks.... which means they're free to anyone. Seems like I've heard Romero say that. Then again, I could be totally wrong.:confused:

MinionZombie
20-Jan-2007, 11:18 AM
Of course, some library tracks still need to be paid for to use them (just not as much as using a "non-library" track).

So it's a tricky issue, but something you really do need to look into to check where you stand. A lot of "library music" doesn't mean free, it just means 'cheap to purchase'.

coma
21-Jan-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not 100% sure on the subject dude, but I think they are library tracks.... which means they're free to anyone. Seems like I've heard Romero say that. Then again, I could be totally wrong.:confused:

Public Domain is free, Library means you purchase the rights to the library. No offense Bassman, that is totally wrong ;).

Purchasing the rights may not be that much at all for such an old library. Sometimes you can purchase a set or a single disc of a library and that entitles you to use it as you want in a production (like a sample cd).
Unfortunately I cant remember the name of the library. MAybe the cover of the NOTLD soundtrack can t give you some info

There are some douchey liscene agreements for some sample cds, like you paid a hundred bucjs for it and STILL have to clear the samples. Crapola!

axlish
22-Jan-2007, 01:15 AM
Contact Capitol Hi-Q Library for the rights. It'd proably cost you about 100 per song.